Poll

What changes, if any, should be made to the TP system on Celticsblog?

TPs should be eliminated;
4 (3.7%)
Negative TPs should be brought back;
7 (6.4%)
Threads related to TPs should be locked;
6 (5.5%)
Only mods should be allowed to give TPs;
3 (2.8%)
Members should only be allowed to give each member 1 TP per 24 hours;
8 (7.3%)
Members should be allowed to give more TPs than they do now;
3 (2.8%)
Everyone's TPs should be reset
4 (3.7%)
There's nothing wrong with the TP system
20 (18.3%)
I don't care
27 (24.8%)
Anybody caught boosting their own TP count should be suspended
12 (11%)
Members should be allowed to "bet" their TPs
9 (8.3%)
Members should be allowed to "sell" / "trade" their TPs for charitable contributions, etc.
6 (5.5%)

Total Members Voted: 52

Author Topic: Tommy Points and Celticsblog  (Read 36624 times)

Re: Tommy Points and Celticsblog
« Reply #60 on: January 13, 2010, 05:16:05 PM »

Kiorrik

I voted for the gambling thing just because it sounds like fun, but I'm all for eliminating them all together.  Giving/receiving TPs might be fun for some people, but TP counts tend to be absolutely meaningless.
Then why remove them, if they're meaningless to you?

« Reply #61 on: January 13, 2010, 05:22:09 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im still waiting for those individuals who are impacted/upset about this, who have complained to the mods, rather than confronting the individuals they are complaining about.  ::)

One thing to make clear:  I think sometimes it's a good idea, when there are disputes between posters, to go to the mod staff.  Confrontations often lead to hurt feelings, flame wars, etc.  Obviously, we prefer if people are able to work things out maturely amongst themselves, but if that's not possible or likely, going to the staff is a good alternative.

i hear what ur saying roy, but unless those individuals step up, this thread will be redundant bc im sure most people that will post in this thread will either say they dont care, or that people who are complaining have issues. 

ive said my piece, and dont want to get into any trouble.  i will just lurk in this thread, unless something catches my eye and i feel the need to give my opinion.

« Reply #62 on: January 13, 2010, 05:48:24 PM »

Offline Reggie's Ghost

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 64
  • Still Ballin'
Man I hope none of this is about me  ::)

Take it from a guy who has more TPs than posts, I dole them out and receive them as a slap on the butt to those who make this place better, but I'm no richer and have no more clout here now than I did when I started this account.

This is some feeble stuff folks, hope we can all keep things in perspective...

GO CELTICS!!!!

« Reply #63 on: January 13, 2010, 05:50:43 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Man I hope none of this is about me  ::)

Take it from a guy who has more TPs than posts, I dole them out and receive them as a slap on the butt to those who make this place better, but I'm no richer and have no more clout here now than I did when I started this account.

This is some feeble stuff folks, hope we can all keep things in perspective...

GO CELTICS!!!!

Just seeing this thread in the same "Latest Forum Topics" box as the Haiti tragedy is plenty of perspective.  Then again that could be said for any thread up there I suppose.
Yup

« Reply #64 on: January 13, 2010, 06:14:24 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2525
Wow -- I read the forst 2 pages of this thread and had to stop.

I enjoy what TPs bring to the blog, and I am surprised that this is an issue (I feel like I'm always the last to know about these hot topics).  But, let's bring what I hope is reality and reason to this situation.  Like so many things in life, it is often the voice of a few that drowns the voice of the many.  My guess is that a very small percentage of C-bloggers are emotionally invested enough in TP counts to register complaints or concerns about the system -- or to bolster their own counts or conspire with others for mutual bolstering. I would guess that the vast majority of us see TPs as a nice little bonus to the already enjoyable pasttime this blog provides.
It's not nothing -- it adds camaraderie, kindness, recognition and espirit de corps.  Is it necessary? -- absolutely not.  Would I be a little disappointed if it were gone? -- yes, I would. Keep it as is, and let's all just try to live by a short, simple 'TP Code of Ethics' that the mods can develop.

And BAHKU -- keep doing what you're doing!!!!

« Reply #65 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:31 PM »

Kiorrik

Wow -- I read the forst 2 pages of this thread and had to stop.

I enjoy what TPs bring to the blog, and I am surprised that this is an issue (I feel like I'm always the last to know about these hot topics).  But, let's bring what I hope is reality and reason to this situation.  Like so many things in life, it is often the voice of a few that drowns the voice of the many.  My guess is that a very small percentage of C-bloggers are emotionally invested enough in TP counts to register complaints or concerns about the system -- or to bolster their own counts or conspire with others for mutual bolstering. I would guess that the vast majority of us see TPs as a nice little bonus to the already enjoyable pasttime this blog provides.
It's not nothing -- it adds camaraderie, kindness, recognition and espirit de corps.  Is it necessary? -- absolutely not.  Would I be a little disappointed if it were gone? -- yes, I would. Keep it as is, and let's all just try to live by a short, simple 'Code of TP Ethics' that the mods can develop.

And BAHKU -- keep doing what you're doing!!!!
awww - YOU MISSED MY RANT@!!!1 :D hahaha

But yeh, Bahku, no worries, keep at it. You tha dude.

« Reply #66 on: January 13, 2010, 06:15:50 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
im still waiting for those individuals who are impacted/upset about this, who have complained to the mods, rather than confronting the individuals they are complaining about.  ::)

One thing to make clear:  I think sometimes it's a good idea, when there are disputes between posters, to go to the mod staff.  Confrontations often lead to hurt feelings, flame wars, etc.  Obviously, we prefer if people are able to work things out maturely amongst themselves, but if that's not possible or likely, going to the staff is a good alternative.

i hear what ur saying roy, but unless those individuals step up, this thread will be redundant bc im sure most people that will post in this thread will either say they dont care, or that people who are complaining have issues. 

People have given contrary opinions in this thread, although most people don't seem to care.  If nothing else, it's a good reflection of what the community is thinking.  75% of the people don't care, and maybe 20% of the people care a little, and there are 5% of the people that care a whole lot.

Pretty much any time there is a feedback thread, very few people offer specific examples of what they're talking about, whether it be due to fear of retaliation, the desire not to call somebody out in public, etc.  It's the nature of the beast.  All we can do is publicly air the issue, and let those people who want to say something do so.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #67 on: January 13, 2010, 06:18:29 PM »

Kiorrik

Ya did well in creating the topic, Roy.

Democracy.

« Reply #68 on: January 13, 2010, 06:22:56 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126

People have given contrary opinions in this thread, although most people don't seem to care.  If nothing else, it's a good reflection of what the community is thinking.  75% of the people don't care, and maybe 20% of the people care a little, and there are 5% of the people that care a whole lot.

Pretty much any time there is a feedback thread, very few people offer specific examples of what they're talking about, whether it be due to fear of retaliation, the desire not to call somebody out in public, etc.  It's the nature of the beast.  All we can do is publicly air the issue, and let those people who want to say something do so.

i hear ya hobbsy.  its just a pet peeve of mine when people complain but dont provide specifics.  its all good

« Reply #69 on: January 13, 2010, 06:24:40 PM »

Offline Master Po

• Author and
  • CelticsBlog Relic
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 242
  • The Man behind the Curtain
Why I quit in being a Mod and part of the Thought PO-lice long ago.

If I click my heels 3 times and whisper "Rodney King" I can always get myself back to Kansas when this stuff comes up.....I din't even read the thread at all ....just Roy's post.....wow ...just enjoy the games.....the season.....the hope!!!

Auntie Em... Auntie Em..... Auntie Em

« Reply #70 on: January 13, 2010, 06:25:58 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
I like the system. Just a fun little thing like an Atta Boy.

« Reply #71 on: January 13, 2010, 06:29:05 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I like them. If I get one, I hope I earned one by saying something witty, smart, or by just hating on Scals. That's why I give them out and I think most Celtic Blog posters do the same.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #72 on: January 13, 2010, 06:32:57 PM »

Offline TheLegendaryClub

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 130
As someone who's still relatively new to the blog, I have to say I like the TP system as is. It was fun to get those first few welcoming TPs from other members--they help make newbies feel a part of the community. Beyond that, it's not a big deal to me. They're fun to get and fun to give, but do I really care if people are "boosting?" Nope. I pity their method of compensation.

« Reply #73 on: January 13, 2010, 06:35:05 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
TP boosting: does this rival MLB's steroid scandal?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #74 on: January 13, 2010, 06:35:55 PM »

Kiorrik

As someone who's still relatively new to the blog, I have to say I like the TP system as is. It was fun to get those first few welcoming TPs from other members--they help make newbies feel a part of the community. Beyond that, it's not a big deal to me. They're fun to get and fun to give, but do I really care if people are "boosting?" Nope. I pity their method of compensation.
The noob gets it.

*hides from the oldschool posters*