Author Topic: What's the Last Movie You Watched?  (Read 976603 times)

Re: What's the Last Movie You Watched?
« Reply #3390 on: April 24, 2022, 10:16:01 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
I watched The Northman tonight.  It was okay, but not nearly as good as reviews suggest.   I think I would have appreciated it more as a 6 or 8 episode series where they could really flesh things out.
I thought it was quite a brilliant telling of the story of Amleth to be honest.

I am more excited about The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent though. Seeing that later this week.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3391 on: April 24, 2022, 11:40:43 PM »

Kiorrik

I watched The Northman tonight.  It was okay, but not nearly as good as reviews suggest.   I think I would have appreciated it more as a 6 or 8 episode series where they could really flesh things out.

I am more excited about The Unbearable Weight of Massive Talent though. Seeing that later this week.

I'm looking forward to that one as well :]

« Reply #3392 on: April 24, 2022, 11:57:16 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

I thought they got rid of most of the elements of the Amleth story, other than the barest outline.  The idea of “Viking Hamlet” was appealing to me, but instead I thought they went with a more basic revenge story. 

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3393 on: May 08, 2022, 12:57:28 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
Dr Strange 2.

It definitely wasn’t as good as my expectations.  I really like the character, and I really liked the first movie.

I did think the movie was bad, just disappointing.  It was fairly average.  Lots of cool action, some fan service that fell flat, and ultimately not a lot of consequence.

It’s better than the Eternals, at least.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #3394 on: May 08, 2022, 02:04:50 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
I just saw The Batman..I give it a 7 out of 10..very dark looking film, needed more light..it’s more of a detective movie than an superhero movie…Robert P. did a very good Batman but not a good Bruce Wayne if that makes sense…Zoe Kravitz was more of Batman sidekick than villian..

I was really disappointed in Kravitz's performance. Catwoman is one of the best comic book characters ever. So mischievous, cocky, manipulative, and yet so full of heart. Kravitz showed little of any of that. Very wooden. Which is a shame because she looks the part, almost uncannily so.

Oh, and her mask was pretty lame too.

Agree of ya! Did like the casting of Riddler though. A lot.

Moon Knight, episode 1.

Well, I'll copy paste my tweet cuz it kinda surmises it well enough;

"Another Marvel series."

+ Oscar is awesome
+ Refreshing main character
- Same slow pace again
- Doesn't push its premise far enough
- Same ol' boring Marvel cinematography

5/10

I got too excited for this one, hope it picks up in ep 2!

And some shameless self promotion.

I gave Moonknight a look because I love mythologies ( especially Greek, Christian , and Egyptian) . I was good with it enough until the weird humor hit at a tense moment yet again. I know why marvel does this . It attracts women and kids . But after that I just can’t get  into it again.  Maybe I’ll try. I love Ethan Jawke and Isaac as actors.

« Reply #3395 on: May 08, 2022, 02:07:31 PM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
  The Gentleman I thought was meh. If you like Guy Ritchie films I’d recommend. I’m not a fan of his work and this one was no better or worse than the others for me. Just not my thing. But very Guy Ritchie.

« Reply #3396 on: May 09, 2022, 02:31:20 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Went back and rewatched some old favourites. 'Devil in a Blue Dress' and 'There Will Be Blood' - better than I remember! Both are definitely worth (multiple) viewings.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #3397 on: May 09, 2022, 08:41:24 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 293
  The Gentleman I thought was meh. If you like Guy Ritchie films I’d recommend. I’m not a fan of his work and this one was no better or worse than the others for me. Just not my thing. But very Guy Ritchie.

I somehow missed this movie completely even though I loved Lock, Stock.. and Snatch. Just caught it on Netflix last week. It was not quite as good as the others mentioned, but actually got better as the movie went along. Guy Ritchie's style doesn't work well with every movie, but I think with these gangster type movies it's great.

« Reply #3398 on: May 09, 2022, 08:43:24 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 293
Dr Strange 2.

It definitely wasn’t as good as my expectations.  I really like the character, and I really liked the first movie.

I did think the movie was bad, just disappointing.  It was fairly average.  Lots of cool action, some fan service that fell flat, and ultimately not a lot of consequence.

It’s better than the Eternals, at least.

I felt like Strange 2 was too long. Would've been better just hitting the high beats and being an hour and half in length. But I'm not a comic book guy so maybe some of that extra stuff was necessary for some reason.

« Reply #3399 on: May 09, 2022, 11:29:46 AM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Am watching The Staircase on HBO Max.  Riveting.  Excellent cast (led by Colin Firth and Toni Collette).  Based on documentary of the same name, involving a husband  accused of murdering his wife and staging it as an accident (trip/fall down staircase).   Yes, there a million crime investigation shows that have similar story lines, but when you have great actors and HBO production, you get a stellar series. I've watched the first 3 episodes so far.  Highly recommend this.

« Reply #3400 on: June 11, 2022, 06:15:45 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
Just saw the new Top Gun movie. I now understand why it took 3 years to be released, movie was nearly flawless. As good, if not better than the original. I highly recommend seeing it in theatre for the acoustics. Tom Cruise doesn’t age and Jennifer Connely is still stunning. Both were great in the film. I rarely watch a movie twice, but this one I will be for sure.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2022, 08:52:53 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #3401 on: June 11, 2022, 06:18:11 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Watching Tehran on Apple. About an Israeli spy ring in Tehran, Iran. Riveting.

« Reply #3402 on: June 11, 2022, 06:35:58 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
I saw the new Jurassic Park.  It’s getting crappy reviews, but I liked it well enough.  The first hour is a little dull, but action picks up in the second half.

« Reply #3403 on: June 13, 2022, 09:49:23 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Uncharted-It's just bad

Dog-my whole family enjoyed it. It's pretty predictable but that's not always a bad thing.

Run (hulu)- if you like Misery....

American Underdog-the Kurt Warner bio picture is really good. I'd recommend to anyone that likes feel good movies.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #3404 on: June 13, 2022, 10:06:56 AM »

Online Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
Hustle - good movie with strong soundtrack, lots of cameos, somewhat realistic of getting into the NBA (the situations I thought were realistic but how they got there maybe ehhh). Adam Sandler does a good job in the movie, Juan is okay, Edwards was natural and all around, good sports movie.

Northman - that movie was pretty terrible. I thought the action scenes were good and the plot was okay, but the movie was way too out there with their beliefs system and very slow. If they stuck with the historic component (including the graphic parts) and moved with that, it'd be okay but the other stuff just dragged the movie so much.
Baby Jesus!