Author Topic: Manu Ginobili Kills a Bat with bare hands on halloween!  (Read 14936 times)

Re: Manu Ginobili Kills a Bat with bare hands on halloween!
« Reply #15 on: November 01, 2009, 10:21:04 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3781
  • Yup
Not knocking Ginobili for killing the thing, just wanted to say that bats are probably the most underrated animal in the kingdom. 
Yup

« Reply #16 on: November 01, 2009, 12:13:27 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418
Extremely cruel. There are no other words for it.

Wow. There are no words for my reaction to this post.

I love animals but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Is it cruel to step on an ant? A bat is a rodent and they are pretty unsanitary.

« Reply #17 on: November 01, 2009, 12:17:10 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254

Kinda like when Obama smacked that fly on TV.

What were the odds of a bat flying into an NBA arena on Halloween?

And most importantly....why didn't he break out the hot sauce and call Bakhu before Ozzy got there?

« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2009, 12:20:26 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup

I love animals but there has to be a line drawn somewhere. Is it cruel to step on an ant? A bat is a rodent and they are pretty unsanitary.

Not to be mister smarty pants here, but bats are mammals in the order chiroptera, rodents are mammals in the order rodentia (thank you wiki)

Again, I don't have a big issue with Manu nabbing a bat, but I think bats do a heck of a lot more good than they generally get credit for.
Yup

« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2009, 12:30:55 PM »

Offline Hila

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 25
What I want to know now is... what would have happened if Ginobili had been on the court in Atlanta last spring when an actual hawk was flying around loose during a game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCXWfZWB5M

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2009, 12:34:23 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Yup
What I want to know now is... what would have happened if Ginobili had been on the court in Atlanta last spring when an actual hawk was flying around loose during a game?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6hCXWfZWB5M

Animal slaughterer that he is, I'm sure he would have killed it.  But first he would have torn it's wings off to make sure it suffered before dying.

(do I need to add a tasteless joke disclaimer somewhere here?)
Yup

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2009, 01:01:26 PM »

Offline Quinn

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 28
I really don't think he was killing it to be cruel.
It was getting in the way of the game, and most likely he just wanted to get back to playing.

(I really don't think he killed it on purpose, he probably just tried to knock it down or tried to catch it, you can stop the manu being an advocate of animal cruelty posts)
Practice? Whatchu talkin about practice?

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2009, 01:05:37 PM »

Offline KungPoweChicken

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 228

And most importantly....why didn't he break out the hot sauce and call Bakhu before Ozzy got there?

What were the odds? Pretty good, considering that bat was most likely smuggled in against its will and let loose in the arena as a "Halloween Prank."

And, even if you think for some improbable reason that the bat just "somehow" flew into the arena on Halloween night (what a coincidence!), why would you want to kill it? (Clearly, if you look at Ginobili's swing, he's going for a death blow). I love basketball as much as anyone, but no game is more important than a life, no matter how big or small, no matter how smart or dumb. Charles Darwin said that love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2009, 01:16:45 PM »

Offline scurvmeister

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 30

What were the odds? Pretty good, considering that bat was most likely smuggled in against its will and let loose in the arena as a "Halloween Prank."

And, even if you think for some improbable reason that the bat just "somehow" flew into the arena on Halloween night (what a coincidence!), why would you want to kill it? (Clearly, if you look at Ginobili's swing, he's going for a death blow). I love basketball as much as anyone, but no game is more important than a life, no matter how big or small, no matter how smart or dumb. Charles Darwin said that love for all living creatures is the most noble attribute of man.

maybe you should rethink your love for basketball. after all, it was originally conceived and played with a leather ball.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2009, 01:20:53 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

You're probably right that it was probably a prank, but what was the practical alternative? Let a bat fly around in an NBA arena with 20,000 people for 38 minutes, while someone calls a pest control guy? To a certain extent if I feel a little threatened by an animal like say a spider or a colony of ants or rodents I take matters into my own hands and I don't think it makes me a murderer. I think it makes whoever released it in there a punk.

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2009, 01:26:11 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
The chance that this bat was "infected" with something, let alone something that anyone would die from, is extremely remote. I wish they had let the guy with the net catch it, but it flew by Manu and he just reacted, as anyone would ... like with a fly or mosquito. I don't think he should be chastised for it ... much ado about nothing.

TP

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2009, 01:59:03 PM »

Offline Greenbean

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 418

Not to be mister smarty pants here, but bats are mammals in the order chiroptera, rodents are mammals in the order rodentia (thank you wiki)

Again, I don't have a big issue with Manu nabbing a bat, but I think bats do a heck of a lot more good than they generally get credit for.

Thanks for the clarification. They just look so similar to mice with wings so I think of them as rodents. I would guess that any mammal with wings would not be classified as a rodent.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2009, 02:07:42 PM »

Offline ToppersBsktball10

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 27
  • Smooth As Silk.
I bet you it was stunned, not killed.

« Reply #28 on: November 01, 2009, 02:12:28 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

Yeah, well... "Manu killed a bat on Halloween" sounds better than "Manu stunned a bat on Halloween"  ;)

« Reply #29 on: November 01, 2009, 02:15:09 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman

Yeah, well... "Manu killed a bat on Halloween" sounds better than "Manu stunned a bat on Halloween"  ;)

True. That was always a key moment on Star Trek. Like 99% of the time Kirk would be like "Set phasers on stun", but every once in a while he'd be like "Set phasers on ...kill" and God forbid Spock said it...well then you just knew it was on. Especially if there were like 7 guys with red shirts on screen.