Author Topic: Rajon Rondo just doesn't get it. And that's why he doesn't have a new contract.  (Read 16315 times)

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86
Sorry if this seems like a first-post-ever slamming of a player.   I actually have been posting here during the seasons for a few years now.

I am just sick of Rondo and his lack of basic fundamental basketball knowledge.  Don't get me wrong, he's a sick athlete, and he's a top-10 PG in the league, but the fundamental flaws in his game are atrocious.  I thought during his first few years that he would be coached out of them, but it hasn't happened yet.  Whether Doc is to blame for not teaching it, or Rondo for not listening, I don't know.  But a high school coach would pull his hair out over the things Rondo does.

To wit:

1.  Wait until your teammate sets a pick before you start to make your move.  Rondo costs his team multiple moving screen fouls every game because he's too impatient.  It happened throughout the Chicago series last year, and again last night in the 4th with Pierce.  As Paul is running up to set a pick on Rondo's man, Rajon starts his move before Pierce is set and Rondo's man runs into a still-moving Pierce.  Wait Rondo, wait.

2. Weak side defense.  Rondo is constantly cheating off his man and hanging out near the basket hoping to get an offensive rebound.  One quick ball-reversal and Mo Williams shoots a wide-open three as Rondo goes flying out after him (too late).

3. Boxing out.  Doc apparently doesn't teach this to anyone.  The only ones I've seen do this consistently are Garnett and Scal.  When a jumper goes up, Rondo has NO FREAKING IDEA where his man is.  He just turns and looks at the ball in flight while his man is free to come racing in unimpeded for an offensive board or tip.  He got lucky last night that Mo Williams doesn't do this, but Rondo still had no idea where he was when a shot went up.

4. Getting picked/switched on defense.  Rondo gets picked last night (goes under the pick yet again even though we've read about how he's been practicing going over picks) and was standing right next to KG, Varejao, and Williams.  Anyways, the ball was at the top of the key and all Rondo had to do was move around Garnett to follow Williams.  Instead, in what seemed like a "I want to take on a good challenge" kind of decision, he decides to post-defend Varejao.  Garnett looks at him like he's an idiot, and is forced to either follow Williams or resort to double-teaming Varejao.  Just pure laziness or bravado on Rondo's part.  If you don't HAVE to switch onto a PF/C, then why do it?  Learn how to switch back when the two offensive players come back close to each other. 

5.  Hero shots:  With six minutes left in the game and about 16 seconds left on the shot clock, Rondo all of a sudden decides that he wants to take his man on and shoot a pull-up jumper from 20 feet out.  Didn't make one pass.  Just put up his "new jumper" which consisted of his elbow still sticking out like it was 3 o'clock on a grandfather clock.

Don't get me wrong, Rondo is a great on-the-ball defender.  He's got quick hands for steals.  He pushes the ball in the open court.  He keeps balls alive on the offensive boards.  He's an amazing finisher around the rim.  But he just still hasn't learned some of the most basic fundamentals of the sport of basketball.  Things that would get him benched by my high school coach.

I'll root for him, but I'll also pull my hair out doing it.

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
I must say I was disappointed with the play of Rondo last night.  It felt like he kind of wanted to do his own thing at times, and at points careless with the basketball.  He does roam a lot on defense but that may be from a strategic stand point since he has long arms big hands and has shot blockers behind him.

Offline pengaloo

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 76
Some of the old Rondo showed up here and there. For example, he brought the ball inside only to fling it back out into the stands because he had no where to go. He also walked the ball up a lot. But overall, I felt Rondo played pretty well last night. I really thought he was the spark that brought us back to life after that terrible start. Also, he kept his man in front of him for the most part. I think near the end of the game, he had some defensive lapses, but he might have been hurting at that point with the number of times he's been slammed onto the floor.

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
Please, explain me why we have to renew rondo's contract now. Next year free agents class will be intriguing and we can always match offers for him (remember also bird rights)... I hope, and think, that Danny is not going to renew his contract now.

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Please, explain me why we have to renew rondo's contract now. Next year free agents class will be intriguing and we can always match offers for him (remember also bird rights)... I hope, and think, that Danny is not going to renew his contract now.

Well, let's be clear, Rondo's contract would have little to do with next years FA class, in regards to the C's.  The Celtics will NOT have cap space.  Even if Pierce takes a paycut, and Ray and Rondo are allowed to walk, they would not be looking at much more than the MLE in cap space.

I still agree they should wait it out with Rondo though, unless they are 100% convinced he is a future cornerstone of this franchise.

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Next year free agents class will be intriguing
We don't have any cap space to participate in that. If Rondo does sign an offer sheet, we're left to match or get nothing.

The incentive is to lock up our young PG who looks to be becoming a franchise point guard for the foreseeable future. I still think it likely doesn't get done.

If they end up inking a 5 year 50 million dollar deal I'll be happy. Anymore than that I'll be nervous.

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Good post, OP. 

I'm nowhere near a technical expert on these matters, but the form on Rondo's jumper doesn't look any different now than it did last year (and the year before).  What's the point of working with Mark Price if you end up with the same shot as you had previously? 

Offline Jack_Frost

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 52
I think we can do some interesting move next year, maybe not about LeBron (or someone like him), of course, but we can do something interesting. Let me say one thing: I'm not sure next year we'll have BBD, Rondo and Perkins. And remember John Wall... I know, this is fantabasket, but there are so many ways...

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Good post, OP. 

I'm nowhere near a technical expert on these matters, but the form on Rondo's jumper doesn't look any different now than it did last year (and the year before).  What's the point of working with Mark Price if you end up with the same shot as you had previously? 

I dont think that's true at all, his form is substantialy diffrent.

1) He keeps his elbow in front now, instead of out to the side at a weird angle. For some unfathomable reason, he still keeps the odd angle of his elbow at the FT line. ???

2) his pull up is smoother. Last year he would come to a dead halt then jump in the air, this year he seems to be better at taking it in rythm

3) he's getting more arc on the ball, his old jump shot was a line drive, this new one has much better arc.

Now, none of the above mean that he is in any way, shape, or form a better shooter than last year, we will have to wait and see on that. But to say his form is the same as last year is incorrect.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

Offline the_Bird

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 176
Well, that's why I said I wasn't sure.  It still looks a lot more awkward than most players, but I'm not an expert to know whether it was really different or not. 

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Good OP, Rondo has tremendous potential but still makes regular mental mistakes; it's a testament to the team and his ability that he still does well. 

I'd add to the list the constant attempts to dunk on LeBron.  What the heck is he thinking?  LeBron regularly swats big super-athletic guys like Josh Smith on those kind of plays; what chance does Rajon think he has?  I swear Rondo deliberately slowed up last night to try and make a poster.

Offline SalmonAndMashedPotatoes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 119
Sorry if this seems like a first-post-ever slamming of a player.   I actually have been posting here during the seasons for a few years now.

I am just sick of Rondo and his lack of basic fundamental basketball knowledge.  Don't get me wrong, he's a sick athlete, and he's a top-10 PG in the league, but the fundamental flaws in his game are atrocious.  I thought during his first few years that he would be coached out of them, but it hasn't happened yet.  Whether Doc is to blame for not teaching it, or Rondo for not listening, I don't know.  But a high school coach would pull his hair out over the things Rondo does.

To wit:

1.  Wait until your teammate sets a pick before you start to make your move.  Rondo costs his team multiple moving screen fouls every game because he's too impatient.  It happened throughout the Chicago series last year, and again last night in the 4th with Pierce.  As Paul is running up to set a pick on Rondo's man, Rajon starts his move before Pierce is set and Rondo's man runs into a still-moving Pierce.  Wait Rondo, wait.

Rondo's not alone in this, as Ray Allen, Eddie House, and Paul Pierce do it on occasion as well. 

Further, the pick is about TIMING between the ballhandler and the picker.  If either party is off in their timing, it can throw the entire play off.  Instead of calling out Rondo, I'd call out both players.

2. Weak side defense.  Rondo is constantly cheating off his man and hanging out near the basket hoping to get an offensive rebound.  One quick ball-reversal and Mo Williams shoots a wide-open three as Rondo goes flying out after him (too late).

This might be part of the designed defense.  Rondo is EXPECTED to be a help defender, and double the ball down low on occasion.  And sometimes he's not going to recover in time to stop a three from going up.  But I don't think I'd call it cheating--I'd call it playing team defense.

3. Boxing out.  Doc apparently doesn't teach this to anyone.  The only ones I've seen do this consistently are Garnett and Scal.  When a jumper goes up, Rondo has NO FREAKING IDEA where his man is.  He just turns and looks at the ball in flight while his man is free to come racing in unimpeded for an offensive board or tip.  He got lucky last night that Mo Williams doesn't do this, but Rondo still had no idea where he was when a shot went up.

The thing is, most point guards don't hit the boards because it's there responsibility to get back on defense.  What do you want Rondo to do, box out his man from the 3 point line all the way to half court? 

It's pretty weird that you can call out the best rebounding point guard in the league for his lack of rebounding fundamentals, when it's Rondo who often makes the other team pay for not boxing him out.

4. Getting picked/switched on defense.  Rondo gets picked last night (goes under the pick yet again even though we've read about how he's been practicing going over picks) and was standing right next to KG, Varejao, and Williams.  Anyways, the ball was at the top of the key and all Rondo had to do was move around Garnett to follow Williams.  Instead, in what seemed like a "I want to take on a good challenge" kind of decision, he decides to post-defend Varejao.  Garnett looks at him like he's an idiot, and is forced to either follow Williams or resort to double-teaming Varejao.  Just pure laziness or bravado on Rondo's part.  If you don't HAVE to switch onto a PF/C, then why do it?  Learn how to switch back when the two offensive players come back close to each other. 

Yeah, nobody's perfect and in the midst of pick-and-roll defense a guy is sometimes going to get caught out of position.  Rondo's pick-and-roll defense has improved greatly this season, in terms of fighting through picks and keeping his man in front of him, even withstanding this ONE play you spelled out that didn't even result in the basket. 

5.  Hero shots:  With six minutes left in the game and about 16 seconds left on the shot clock, Rondo all of a sudden decides that he wants to take his man on and shoot a pull-up jumper from 20 feet out.  Didn't make one pass.  Just put up his "new jumper" which consisted of his elbow still sticking out like it was 3 o'clock on a grandfather clock.

Bad shot, but no worse the other 9 jump shots by other Celtics during that 4th quarter drought. 

I'm not sure what you're seeing on his jumper.  To me, he's keeping his elbow tucked much closer to his chest and not perpendicular to the floor as he was earlier in his career.  Watch his free throws--it's obvious he's changed his form.  It's now a matter of keeping that form every time he shoots.

Don't get me wrong, Rondo is a great on-the-ball defender.  He's got quick hands for steals.  He pushes the ball in the open court.  He keeps balls alive on the offensive boards.  He's an amazing finisher around the rim.  But he just still hasn't learned some of the most basic fundamentals of the sport of basketball.  Things that would get him benched by my high school coach.

I'll root for him, but I'll also pull my hair out doing it.

I don't think it's a question of fundamentals at all. Rondo knows what he has to do, and he does them probably 85-95% of the time.  His fundamentals are fine, it's about being fundamental on a consistent basis, something he's gotten better at every year.  Give him time and don't expect perfection and your hair might stay in tact.
Folly. Persist.

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Sorry, but I have to agree with just about every word of what Salmon had to say. I think the entire nitpicking of Rondo's game be the OP is farcical and not even close to the reason he hasn't signed an extension. He hasn't signed an extension because there has been zero need for either team to make inroads off of their initial offers. Neither team has any incentive to budge off what they think is a contract that is in their favor. When they do, real negotiations will start and progress made. It has nothing to do with Rondo's fundamentals.

And talking of fundamentals, does the OP want to explain how the smallest player on the Celtics is their second leading offensive rebounder last night and thrid leading overall rebounder? What about that he had 3 steals and held his counterpart(Mo Williams) to a team low -10 in the +/- stat line? I'm not a big believer in +/- stats but last night truly that stat was indicative of the defense Rondo played on Williams. And what about his 5 to 1 assist to turnover ratio.

Sorry, I just see a lot of Rondo dislike here and no real criticisms.

Offline MVP

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Good post SAMP. Most of those criticisms are crazy. To critize Rondo for any aspect of rebounding is dumbfounding. And the thing about going early on picks, you can say that for anybody.

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Rondo did not have a monster game, but he played very well last night.  He had some critical rebounds out of nowhere on sheer guile and hustle, which stalled a couple of runs by the Cavs.  His man to man defense is better. He is sticking with him man much more, and not taking unnecessary risks. Plus he is more confident taking the open shot.