Author Topic: KG Update from Bill Simmons  (Read 17171 times)

Re: KG Update from Bill Simmons
« Reply #45 on: September 17, 2009, 08:43:42 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
checked with my own source - this is all nonsense

CAN you give us photographic evidence? anything even KG lifting a dumbbell while standing up? How about KG running? Did your "source" break the news that KG would miss the playoffs last year? Sorry Jeff I don't mean to question your credibility I hope your right. You cannot disagree that this subject though has been swept under the rug by the mainstream media.

Who "Broke" that news?  Are you talking about a prediction (that many media members made)?

I am not that confident KG will be ready for the start of the season after hearing Ainge's comments (which sound an awful lot like what we heard last spring)...but this stuff from Simmons and Carroll doesn't pass the smell test to me. 

« Reply #46 on: September 17, 2009, 08:45:40 PM »

Offline CoachBo

• NCE
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 336
Nothing Will Carroll reports has any credibility with me.
Coined the CelticsBlog term, "Euromistake."

« Reply #47 on: September 17, 2009, 08:46:11 PM »

Offline BBS

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 11
Fans of New England Sports Teams can thank Bill Belichick for this Hush Hush treatment on player injuries.  This really is rediculous in this day and age that some one can't get a photo of KG walking into the Building or working out,shooting a ball anything. Just show us something

« Reply #48 on: September 17, 2009, 08:53:26 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 74
that guy responded to me

injuryexpert @celticsblog The popliteal tendon was the big issue. The spurs were causing tendon damage. Saying it wasn't tendon is chicken/egg spin.

anyone know who he is or where he gets his information from?

Jeff, Simmons covered this extensively in a podcast back in May.  He revealed how he knew about the pooplitilpopliteal tendon issue, how there's really no precedent on how to treat it, and the Celtics' decision to cover it all up last spring.  Pretty heavy stuff.  Listen here:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espnradio/player?id=4166390

While Simmons does tend to editorialize more than journalize, he definitely has legit contacts in the sports world.  I think his concerns are completely justified.

« Reply #49 on: September 17, 2009, 09:11:50 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
Well....Jackie MacMullen with a KG update-coming up @ 10pm on Mohegan Sun Sports Tonight.

« Reply #50 on: September 17, 2009, 09:42:12 PM »

Offline Jeff

• CelticsBlog CEO
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 301
  • ranter
Well....Jackie MacMullen with a KG update-coming up @ 10pm on Mohegan Sun Sports Tonight.

great, let us know what she says - thanks
Faith and Sports - an essay by Jeff Clark

"Know what I pray for? The strength to change what I can, the inability to accept what I can't, and the incapacity to tell the difference." - Calvin (Bill Watterson)

« Reply #51 on: September 17, 2009, 10:12:31 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
I'm definitely worried based on the fact that KG is not touching a basketball yet. Man i hope that wheel isn't permanently damaged.

on the wallace / Baby signings... even if KG is 100% healthy all year, those are excellent signings.

« Reply #52 on: September 17, 2009, 10:16:03 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
Simmons is a fan who write a column, not an insider, not a doctor.

« Reply #53 on: September 17, 2009, 10:21:36 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown

False.  Bill Simmons is definitely an insider.  Unquestionably.  Does that mean he is never guilty of pure speculation?  No it doesn't.  But one cannot deny the fact that he is absolutely an insider.

« Reply #54 on: September 17, 2009, 10:24:34 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale

False.  Bill Simmons is definitely an insider.  Unquestionably.  Does that mean he is never guilty of pure speculation?  No it doesn't.  But one cannot deny the fact that he is absolutely an insider.

What do you mean by "insider"?  While he may have some contacts and resources, he's nowhere near as connected as a guy like Marc Spears. 

I think you'd be surprised to know how few connections Bill Simmons has.  However, he obviously does have some.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2009, 10:30:28 PM »

Offline MaxwellSmart86

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 144
Jackie Mac basically said that KG will be ready for the start of the season--and they had a new interview with Doc, who said the same thing----Felger brought up this "Staple" rumor---and was NOT shot down by MacMullan----she said that she didn't know how serious the surgery actually was...So, unless the surgeon gets interviewed--we won't know til training camp.

« Reply #56 on: September 17, 2009, 10:31:07 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Bill Simmons is about as much of an insider as Gary Tanguay's gut.  He has had a couple tidbits, but he is nowhere near as connected as the real NBA guys.  The only thing he has ever broken is the Payton deal.  And besides, all he is doing is quoting Carroll, who I don't buy for a second.

« Reply #57 on: September 17, 2009, 10:52:52 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Simmons can get David Stern on his podcasts....he's got sources within the league.  It strikes me that someone in the league must be saying this. Otherwise he wouldn't be talking about it.

If you're in his position with ESPN, you need to be very careful about what you throw out there because it's all 'on the record'.

This isn't some wacko blogger (not you guys!) tossing tons of crap out there hoping some of it sticks.  There at least have to be whispers about this around the NBA.

Otherwise Simmons would be taking a very unnecessary risk with his career.

« Reply #58 on: September 17, 2009, 10:57:06 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
Simmons can get David Stern on his podcasts....he's got sources within the league.  It strikes me that someone in the league must be saying this. Otherwise he wouldn't be talking about it.

If you're in his position with ESPN, you need to be very careful about what you throw out there because it's all 'on the record'.

This isn't some wacko blogger (not you guys!) tossing tons of crap out there hoping some of it sticks.  There at least have to be whispers about this around the NBA.

there's no risk. Simmons is just saying he is concerned. He is not reporting anything as factual.

The lack of facts around KG are why he is concerned.

« Reply #59 on: September 17, 2009, 11:59:43 PM »

Offline MetroGlobe

• Jaylen Brown

He has Rick Bucher and Chad Ford on his podcasts on a near weekly basis.  And you can tell by their banter that they are genuinely good friends.  Especially with Bucher.  And while "Buke" may not be a super insider specifically with the Celtics, he's probably the most inside man on the NBA beat in general.  So his national credibility may give him certain inroads that the local Boston beat writers might not get.

In any case, I'm not saying KG's knee is totally busted.  And I don't think Simmons is either.  He's just saying that there may be reason for concern beyond what we're reading in the Globe/Herald. C's management already showed us that they are not 100% forthcoming with the injury info.  So it's not like this concern is without probable cause.