Author Topic: Iverson posts a short list of teams  (Read 8958 times)

Re: Iverson posts a short list of teams
« Reply #15 on: August 18, 2009, 11:05:49 AM »

Offline Prof. Clutch

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 237
  • Mind Games
Since when has Iverson put fans in the seats?

He drew some more at first in Denver. But their attendence wasn't any different with Billups. I think winning drives attendence more than anything.

I agree, winning is the ultimate method of getting fans in the seats.  Although star power helps as well.  And I'm not so sure that Nate Robinson at the helm vastly increases NY's immediate chances at winning more and subsequently putting fans in the seats.  Also, Iverson has shown throughout his career to marginally increase attendance, although not in Detroit.  However, he has dramatically increased road attendance for his teams (though this doesn't help the NY franchise) and increased national exposure on television.

Both Denver and Detroit have recently added Iverson to their respective teams.  Here is what happened to home attendance before and after Iverson arrived (data taken from ESPN.com):

First, here is season home attendence for Denver:

2005-06: 702,645

2006-07: 706,437 (year Iverson arrived)

2007-08: 711, 962

2008-09: 706,165 (year Iverson departed)

And here is Detroit:

2007-08: 905, 116 (team is at capacity)

2008-09: 896, 971 (with Iverson team is not at capacity)

All in all, there is some benefit to attendance when bringing in a star player.  There's always more excitement when a star player joins a new team.  Iverson in NY is a great marketing boost as well.

Pretty small gain in Denver; 1.3% between the '05-'06 and '07-'08 seasons.  Denver also went from a 44-win team to a 50-win team, and from winning 63% of their home games to 80%.  HArd to separate out how much of an impact Iverson really did have.

Is Iverson even viewed by the casual fan as a superstar anymore?

Yeah, that's why I said marginal.  There could indeed be other factors at play as you noted (win increases.)  His biggest impact was a dramatic increase in attendance at road games (which supports the idea that casual fans do still see him as a superstar) and increased national exposure.  Having Iverson on your team can't hurt your notoriety, and to argue otherwise doesn't make much sense.

As for wins, I'm sure his signing could indeed decrease a teams chance at success.  Which is why I agree with not wanting him here in Boston.

« Reply #16 on: August 18, 2009, 11:06:32 AM »

Offline PaulPierce34G

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 110
  • Soul Glo
He is a fool.  You would think that at this stage of his career, he would be willing to pull a Karl Malone/Gary Payton & join on somewhere that he can still contribute,  realize he is no longer "the man," and give himself the best possible chance at an NBA title, but then again....this is Allen Iverson we are talking about.

The fact that he is even considering NY & Charlotte shows that he is still 100% about himself, and is looking for the best way he can personally market himself.  Those teams have absolutely 0% at winning the title, and Miami pretty much just the same, but it would be a better place for him to go in terms of making the playoffs, playing alongside another star like he did with Anthony, giving himself a better shot (if not the best) at winning...but as I said...this is Allen Iverson we are talking about.

I'm just glad Boston isn't on his wish-list & he is not on theirs.  

« Reply #17 on: August 18, 2009, 11:28:16 AM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 69
  • Law mercy!
Thank goodness Boston isn't on his list.
Ditto that.

« Reply #18 on: August 18, 2009, 11:43:22 AM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

« Reply #19 on: August 18, 2009, 12:22:13 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I think Iverson would help with attendence in NY or Charlotte but he isn't going to make a difference in more established cities like Denver and Detroit.  I suspect he would move merchandise also (think Spike Lee would want an Iverson jersey?).

But if Iverson came to Boston, he would make no attendence difference at all (for example).

« Reply #20 on: August 18, 2009, 01:33:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #21 on: August 18, 2009, 01:35:13 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Iverson could be a big addition to the Bobcats if he accepts to be the sixth man, since he would bring some offense to the team's bench. Maybe Larry Brown, as his former coach, could keep A.I "in control". They could reach the playoffs.

Miami could be a good fit too, he would make the playoffs and play with a star in Wade, along with a good team.

But NY makes no sense, except for the jerseys sales and the arena attendance...

Also, I don't think Iverson would accept a limited role with a contender to win a title, but you can also argue that the contenders don't want to add Iverson to their team. I know it's a circle, but still, A.I isn't the only one to blame and I think people put all the blame on him for the Detroit fiasco while he wasn't the only culprit, by far.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2009, 01:38:30 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Iverson could be a big addition to the Bobcats if he accepts to be the sixth man, since he would bring some offense to the team's bench.

There is NO WAY that Iverson is just accepting a sixth man role to help a team out.  Nothing, and I mean nothing in his this guy's past shows that he is all about the team.

« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2009, 01:42:26 PM »

Offline Drucci

• Global Moderator
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 439
Iverson could be a big addition to the Bobcats if he accepts to be the sixth man, since he would bring some offense to the team's bench.

There is NO WAY that Iverson is just accepting a sixth man role to help a team out.  Nothing, and I mean nothing in his this guy's past shows that he is all about the team.

Yeah, I doubt it too but who knows? Anyway, his last tweets are pointing out that he still wants to be the "best" :

"the other day and told him that I am again a student of the game. I am studying video and breaking down film. I want to be the best that I can be. One doesn't plan to fail, they fail to plan. I am planning for my comeback. Plan to hear from me daily on Twitter.com"

"I have had a year to get ready, my back is fine now don't worry. When you see me again you will think that I am fresh out of Georgetown!"

In his mind, Charlotte, NY and Miami are contenders :

"Getting in shape, running, lifting and thinking about which team that I will help compete for a championship! Whoever gets me will be happy" ???

« Reply #24 on: August 18, 2009, 01:45:21 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2009, 01:48:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Ditto that.

Ditto squared

Ditto cubed.  :)

uhhhh...what comes after cubed?
To the fourth power. After cubed they don't have any short hand terms for exponents.

« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2009, 01:52:59 PM »

Offline Hoops

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 5
I think it would be great to see Iverson in New York. I realize that he's a selfish one-dimensional player, but at his peak, he was dynamite. He was the epitome of David vs. Goliath. If you looked past some of his selfish flaws on the court, he was a joy to watch. I think he could revive some of that joy and go out with a bang in the Big Apple. I'm no New York fan, but I think it's good for the NBA to have New York be at least somewhat relevant. Hopefully Iverson could help in that department.

« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2009, 01:58:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
Ditto that.

Ditto squared

To the fourth power. After cubed they don't have any short hand terms for exponents.

well then ditto that
Yup

« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2009, 02:11:48 PM »

Offline RAcker

• Ray Allen
  • Law mercy!
Ditto that.

Ditto squared

well then ditto that
I think that just blew my mind.

« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2009, 02:12:34 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
AI posting a "short list" of teams that are not contending for anything. Looks like he wants to be the big fish in a small pond.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."