Author Topic: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Southeast Divison  (Read 53665 times)

Re: CB Draft '09 Mock Press Conference: Southeast Divison
« Reply #90 on: August 07, 2009, 04:39:23 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Orlando:

I liked the trade of Okafor for Jason Richardson.  What was the original thinking in pairing Okafor with Marc Gasol, two lane-clogging bigs?  Is there any concern that outside of Charlie V, your big men don't stretch the floor?

Orlando: Don't you think Roy Hobbs uses the term "lane clogging bigs" way too often? Like a team with a "Lane Clogging Big" is doomed to fail? Maybe instead of trading for Big Al, I should have traded for Brian freakin Cardinal or Eric Piakowski?? MAYBE THEN, I WOULD NOT HAVE TWO LANE CLOGGING BIGS?? HUH?? WHAT DO YOU SAY ABOUT THAT, ORLANDOOOOO?

Once again remember that all answers will influence voting.

Sorry, Doc Rivers has influenced me.  He's a pretty bright guy, you know.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #91 on: August 07, 2009, 04:44:28 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Orlando:

I liked the trade of Okafor for Jason Richardson.  What was the original thinking in pairing Okafor with Marc Gasol, two lane-clogging bigs?  Is there any concern that outside of Charlie V, your big men don't stretch the floor?

Orlando: Don't you think Roy Hobbs uses the term "lane clogging bigs" way too often? Like a team with a "Lane Clogging Big" is doomed to fail? Maybe instead of trading for Big Al, I should have traded for Brian freakin Cardinal or Eric Piakowski?? MAYBE THEN, I WOULD NOT HAVE TWO LANE CLOGGING BIGS?? HUH?? WHAT DO YOU SAY ABOUT THAT, ORLANDOOOOO?

Now you post the Brian Cardinal stuff. Where was this stuff when I was trying to peddle him for a protected 16th rounder? :(

« Reply #92 on: August 07, 2009, 04:46:49 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Orlando:

Also, the lane-clogging thing is even worse when a team has, say, the second worst shooting PG in the entire NBA.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #93 on: August 07, 2009, 04:49:15 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Orlando:

Also, the lane-clogging thing is even worse when a team has, say, the second worst shooting PG in the entire NBA.

So I guess the question is who is your teams drano?

« Reply #94 on: August 07, 2009, 04:50:03 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Orlando:

I have a secret weapon regarding that. It took me hours to find. I am not kidding

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #95 on: August 07, 2009, 04:51:02 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Orlando:

What do you see as your teams flexibility in trades is it becomes apparent that Lebron needs a better number 2? 

And will you have the guts to make said move (unlike Lebron's actual team this past season)

Wdleehi --- i'm guessing you meant IF, not is abvoe (bold, red added)...

I honestly don't see that as an issue. Richardson is a better than any SG that Lebron has played with (career #s: 18.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.8 3pg and only once played fewer than 72 games (and ended that season with a bang vs. DAL/UTA in the playoffs)).

We're all accused of overhyping our guys but here are the only SGs we had rated higher than JRichardson coming into the draft (combination of age, production, temprament, etc):

Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Andre Iguodala
Manu Ginobili (if injury free)
Kevin Martin(if injury free)
O.J. Mayo
Ray Allen

Some of them aren't great fits w/ Lebron, some we tried hard to add, but ultimately had to "settle" for the 10th best SG ;)

Making an upgrade from JRich to one of these 9 would probably cost us a big. Unless we're going to JJ, Roy, Kobe or Wade.... don't think that's a sound tradeoff. And i don't think their teams are willing to deal JJ, Roy, Kobe or Wade.
GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #96 on: August 07, 2009, 04:54:11 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Orlando:

What do you see as your teams flexibility in trades is it becomes apparent that Lebron needs a better number 2? 

And will you have the guts to make said move (unlike Lebron's actual team this past season)

Wdleehi --- i'm guessing you meant IF, not is abvoe (bold, red added)...

I honestly don't see that as an issue. Richardson is a better than any SG that Lebron has played with (career #s: 18.6 ppg, 5.3 rpg, 3.0 apg, 1.2 spg, 1.8 3pg and only once played fewer than 72 games (and ended that season with a bang vs. DAL/UTA in the playoffs)).

We're all accused of overhyping our guys but here are the only SGs we had rated higher than JRichardson coming into the draft (combination of age, production, temprament, etc):

Dwyane Wade
Kobe Bryant
Brandon Roy
Joe Johnson
Andre Iguodala
Manu Ginobili (if injury free)
Kevin Martin(if injury free)
O.J. Mayo
Ray Allen

Some of them aren't great fits w/ Lebron, some we tried hard to add, but ultimately had to "settle" for the 10th best SG ;)

Making an upgrade from JRich to one of these 9 would probably cost us a big. Unless we're going to JJ, Roy, Kobe or Wade.... don't think that's a sound tradeoff. And i don't think their teams are willing to deal JJ, Roy, Kobe or Wade.

But look at Jrich's usage #'s. The higher the #, the worse he is with Lebron.

« Reply #97 on: August 07, 2009, 04:55:45 PM »

Offline Gainesville Celtic

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1331
  • Ainge *still* has a Posse! Ubuntu Y'all
Orlando:

What do i think?

A. You just got yourself a TP, IP.... always funny stuff.

B. Yeah it's overblown a bit. Parrish, McHale, Walton somehow existed in the same clogged lane. (NOTE: I"m not comparing our bigs to Parish/McHale/Walton other than in the ugliness department).

Now... to read/respond to CHI's question...

GC's Yahoo! H2h League: Gainesville Celtics: 2014, 2016, 2017 Champs!

GC's Yahoo! H2h League permanent website (offseason roster, constitution, etc.) * Lucky was framed!

« Reply #98 on: August 07, 2009, 05:01:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
Orlando:

What do i think?

B. Yeah it's overblown a bit. Parrish, McHale, Walton somehow existed in the same clogged lane. (NOTE: I"m not comparing our bigs to Parish/McHale/Walton other than in the ugliness department).

Both Parish and McHale had adequate jump shots, and were very offensively skilled.  Both could function close to the basket, as well as away from it.

« Reply #99 on: August 07, 2009, 05:04:10 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Orlando:

What do i think?

Both Parish and McHale had adequate jump shots, and were very offensively skilled.  Both could function close to the basket, as well as away from it.

Big Al had an adequate jump shot and is very offensively skilled. Wait..are we not talking about my team yet?

« Reply #100 on: August 07, 2009, 05:21:53 PM »

Offline The Walker Wiggle

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 758
  • Pretend Hinkie
Maxiell is the best player on either bench.  He will be a starter this year in Detroit.  Has a lot of playoff experience.

This seems like a stretch to me. I wouldn't call him the best player off either bench, and I think he's a long shot to start in Detroit. He averaged 18 mpg last season, less in the Pistons 1st round exit. And I'm curious do you see him beating out Villanueva in Detroit? Or will the Pistons run Maxiell at the 4 and Villanueva at the 5. (Small ball?) I've assumed it would be Wilcox or now, possibly, Wallace at center.

« Reply #101 on: August 07, 2009, 05:26:18 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
Maxiell is the best player on either bench.  He will be a starter this year in Detroit.  Has a lot of playoff experience.

This seems like a stretch to me. I wouldn't call him the best player off either bench, and I think he's a long shot to start in Detroit. He averaged 18 mpg last season, less in the Pistons 1st round exit. And I'm curious do you see him beating out Villanueva in Detroit? Or will the Pistons run Maxiell at the 4 and Villanueva at the 5. (Small ball?) I've assumed it would be Wilcox or now, possibly, Wallace at center.

I agree. Maxiell is their Leon Powe. He eats babies, but he also shouldn't start for a playoff team.

« Reply #102 on: August 07, 2009, 05:27:30 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I agree. Maxiell is their Leon Powe. He eats babies, but he also shouldn't start for a playoff team.

Who is he competing for minutes with?  Brown and Wallace?  He will get minutes this year.

« Reply #103 on: August 07, 2009, 05:28:43 PM »

Offline Tradetime

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 115
Charlotte:

Are you doing a misservice to Griffin by giving him only one NBA thread while he is trying to develop?

Are there enough minutes to develop all the draft picks?

Is Bulter going to be patient enough to stick around till your team is ready?

And as a team of the future, what do you see your timeline is to reach your peek?

Only one NBA thread, do you mean press time? I'm sure he will get plenty of press when his season opens in November.

I think there is enough minutes to develop all of the players. Those that come out with the most passion will play the longest. And of course guys will have off nights and we may even have them collectively as a young team. But we are prepared to deal with it as it comes.

Caron Butler went through a horrible season last year with the Wiz, and he put up the best numbers of his career in the process. We think he will continue to flourish next to the teammates we have assembled. The team is also a team of well-charactered guys, so it should be fun for everyone.

We believe within 3-4 years we will be a perennial playoff team with the core that we have. We will continue to add to our team as most teams do in the offseasons and come back strong to improve on our mistakes at the beginning of each year.

« Reply #104 on: August 07, 2009, 05:31:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith

Who is he competing for minutes with?  Brown and Wallace?  He will get minutes this year.

Charlie V...or did you think that he'll start at center?

At center I think Chris Wilcox is their man.