Author Topic: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Voting Analysis : Team of the Future  (Read 587030 times)

Re: 2009 Celticsblog Draft: Roster Analysis Thread
« Reply #105 on: July 27, 2009, 07:41:48 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
PG: TJ Ford / Jerryd Bayless
SG: Ben Gordon
SF: Thaddeus Young
PF: Tim Duncan / Brandon Bass
C: Thabeet / Duncan

Rip it apart gang haha if you dont mind...kwhit I like your team a lot to be honest. Parker and Balkman were huge pickups today for you.

Shooting is a big need.

« Reply #106 on: July 27, 2009, 07:41:51 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
PG: TJ Ford / Jerryd Bayless
SG: Ben Gordon
SF: Thaddeus Young
PF: Tim Duncan / Brandon Bass
C: Thabeet / Duncan

Rip it apart gang haha if you dont mind...kwhit I like your team a lot to be honest. Parker and Balkman were huge pickups today for you.

You could still use some height in the back court, and you have two players (Ford and Gordon) who want to be "the man". Thabeet, in my mind, is too raw, and probably lacks the defensive fundamentals to be a great NBA defender right away; much of his defense in college is solely due to height.  You'd benefit from enough tough veteran big man.

It's a good foundation, but ultimately, I think it's going to leave Duncan frustrated.  I'd probably look for a bigger point guard, and some more veteran leadership.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #107 on: July 27, 2009, 07:43:04 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
PG-Chauncey Billups
SG-Mike Dunleavy
SF-C.J. Miles
PF-Dirk Nowitzki
C-Chirs Kaman
---------------
Nick Collison

Obviously a lot is going to depend on how healthy Dunleavy will be, but their are still a bunch of quality players on my board at the guard position that can fill in.  Also took a gamble with Miles...he started in Utah last year, but only played around 22-25 minutes a game.  However he did average 9 points and is a decent defender, plus he's 22 years old and I think he will improve.  Collison can play both post spots for me.  

I'm not a championship team yet, but I think I'm a playoff team even if Dunleavy plays half a season.  Feel free to comment.  

This is a work in progress, but I pretty much agree with your own self-assessment.  I like Mike Dunleavy a lot, and it's hard to argue with Chauncey and Dirk as your foundation. 

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

« Reply #108 on: July 27, 2009, 08:24:12 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
The DC Boxers have now selected a player at each position and can now field a team, though, I will admit, there will be competition at the PG and PF positions for the starting lineup.

PG - Raymond Felton: 6-1 198 lbs. 25 years old.
14.2 PPG, 3.8 RPG, 6.7 APG, 1.5 STPG
Still growing into his game and is in serious need of developing his outside shot but can run an offense, is an excellent ballhandler, has great speed and is excellent at dishing the ball while heading to the basket. Good defensive player. Good free throw shooter at over 80%.

SG - Kevin Martin: 6-7 185 lbs. 26 years old.
24.6 PPG, 3.6 RPG, 2.7 APG, 1.2 STPG, 41.5% 3FG%
Possible top 5 scorer in the league that can hit from the outside, run transition, take it off the dribble, and can finish. His 2 point shooting needs improving to become almost truly unstoppable one on one. He has excellent size for a 2 guard and is a good defender. Great free throw shooter at over 86%

SF - Stephen Jackson: 6-8 215 lbs. 31 years old.
20.7 PPG, 5.1 RPG, 6.5 APG, 1.49 STPG
Has come into his own over the last couple of years and has become a true team leader and franchise type player. Has solid all around game on offense but needs to be a bit more selective in his shot selection. Is a tenacious defender and is the perfect compliment in the leadership department for a young team having won a championship in San Antonio. Another great free throw shooter at over 82%

PF - Darrell Arthur: 6-9 225 lbs. 21 years old.
5.6 PPG, 4.6 RPG, 0.7 STPG, 0.7 BPG, in just 19.3 MPG
My stretch pick that I have loved since seeing him at Kansas and should have been a top 12 pick last year except for some funky health reports. I think he can develop into a low post, aggressive, rebounding machine in the right system and in a few years I think he will become the steal of the 2008 NBA Draft being chosen 27th and then traded twice. I can foresee Leon Powe type post player but with higher upside in a couple years. Has to develop defensively and is a below average free throw shooter at 67%.

C - Andris Biedrins: 6-11 240lbs. 23 years old.
11.9 PPG, 11.2 RPG, 1.5 BPG, 1.2 STPG, 58% FG%
One of just a handful of double-double guys in the league over the last two years and only 23. Is an excellent rebounder on both ends and is developing a couple low post moves. He has very active hands which makes up for a lack of speed. Is very strong but needs to become more aggressive. Should eventually develop into one of the top 5 centers in the league in a couple years as he puts on some more bulk and develops defensively. Is a hideous free throw shooter.

With Jeff Van Gundy and his defensive schemes and system and ability to develop players, this team has a solid core to compete now and excel down the road as the youth grows into their prime which in most cases are still 3-4 years away although they've already had tremendous NBA success.

« Reply #109 on: July 27, 2009, 08:25:46 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923
The slightly revamped Buffalo Braves

PG: Chris Duhon
SG: Ray Allen
SF: Al Thornton
PF: Antawn Jamison
C: Dwight Howard

Bench: Linas Kleiza (SF/PF), Zaza Pachulia (PF/C)

« Reply #110 on: July 27, 2009, 08:26:25 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
I love your swing positions, nick, and Biedrins is very good in the middle.  I'm not sold at all on Arthur, though, and Felton isn't a championship-caliber point guard, now or in the future.

I'll be curious to see how you fill out the team.

« Reply #111 on: July 27, 2009, 08:28:41 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

Thornton is a  great athlete, but I'm not sure that he solves your shooting woes (.367 eFG% on jump shots is pretty horrific for a SF), and he's an inferior defender and passer when compared to Kirilenko.

« Reply #112 on: July 27, 2009, 08:31:45 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I love your swing positions, nick, and Biedrins is very good in the middle.  I'm not sold at all on Arthur, though, and Felton isn't a championship-caliber point guard, now or in the future.

I'll be curious to see how you fill out the team.
Arthur is my binky. And I'm looking at someone else to share the PG position. I don't know why but when I watch Arthur I see Leon Powe his rookie year. But years younger.

And although Felton is championship caliber PG, let's be honest, this team is competing for a championship and for a couple years Felton will suffice until the others have grown and then maybe a superstar comes in to join them.

« Reply #113 on: July 27, 2009, 08:48:57 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Thornton is a  great athlete, but I'm not sure that he solves your shooting woes (.367 eFG% on jump shots is pretty horrific for a SF), and he's an inferior defender and passer when compared to Kirilenko.

Shooting woes? I have Ray Allen, Antawn Jamison is a good outside shooter, Kleiza is a good shooter, Duhon is a good three point shooter. I traded for Al Thornton because he's more of a sf than Kirilenko (ie felt he was a better fit for my team).

« Reply #114 on: July 27, 2009, 08:57:19 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
30 Team Roster Page is now updated through the end of the 7th round.  Sorry for the delay.

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=30095.msg528132#msg528132

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #115 on: July 27, 2009, 08:59:17 PM »

Offline KCattheStripe

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 830
You cannot win an NBA championship without a dominant big man, neither Shaq nor JO are dominant and they can't stay on the floor long enough to be an effective tandem.

A few quibbles:

1) Detroit won a championship without a dominant big man.  Last season, I wouldn't call Pau Gasol "dominant", either;

2) Shaq is no less "dominant" now than he was when he played for Miami;

3) Shaq played 75 games last season, and has had a full summer to rest;

4) J.O. played 68 games last season, and sat out at least two of those games to rest for the playoffs;

5) Brad Miller played 70+ games in each of the last two seasons, and in three out of the last four.

6) Everyone's minutes will be limited to the 25 - 30 per game range.

Still, I understand taking a "wait and see" approach with the team.

1) Detroit is the exception, although if you combine Rasheed and Ben Wallace thats one dominant big. Also, neither of them were out of their prime like JO and Shaq are.

2) Shaq 2006- 20 ppg. 9rebounds 1.8 blocks. 2009- 18ppg 8 boards 1.4 blocks. I think thats significant when you factor in that in Phoenix, Shaq had less defensive wear and tear and more help  up front.

3)True, but does he have Phoenix's training staff? No, because I hired them. :P

4) Yeah, but he was traded to make room for Bargs, who is on my bench.  ;). I think JO's effectiveness will continue to dip this year. Although, it is rough for you that JO won't play next to as good a big this year as shaq, so his real world effectiveness and how effective he'd be on your team won't be easy to contrast.

5) I admit, I threw Brad Miller on there to rub it in.

6) Can some of those ego's hand 25-30 per?

« Reply #116 on: July 27, 2009, 09:00:21 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Updated Phoenix Suns Rotation:

PG: Sessions
SG: James Harden
SF: Josh Howard
PF: Al Jefferson
C: Joel Pryzbilla

Bench, in order of most playing time to least:
Travis Outlaw
Roger Mason Jr
Kyle Korver
Mareese Speights
Nate Robinson
Darko Milicic

I dunno what to do. I feel like I'm too deep almost. Just too many good players with defined roles....

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #117 on: July 27, 2009, 09:01:32 PM »

Offline celtsrp33

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 281
What do you guys think of the Heat right now?

PG Rajon Rondo
SG Nick Young
SF Anthony Morrow
PF Tyrus Thomas
C  Spencer Hawes

Bench:
JJ Redick
Owner of Make Me Some Bacon in CB FBB points and H2H leagues.

« Reply #118 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural

3)True, but does he have Phoenix's training staff? No, because I hired them. :P

I want documentation, since we publicly announced that they're ours. ;)

Regarding egos, I think we tried to draft a team that was relatively headache free.  Most of them have accepted a cut back in their minutes in "real life" without complaint.  At this point, all of them are pulling toward the same goal:  a ring.

« Reply #119 on: July 27, 2009, 09:03:11 PM »

Offline Rondo2287

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 816
I dont buy this argument about how will egos deal with not getting starting playing time.  That is really just admitting that Roy has a great team.  I mean what your really saying is, "Roy you have guys that start on every team they have been on because you accumulated a great deal of high picks."  We cant penalize portland for doing a good job predraft getting picks
CB Draft LA Lakers: Lamarcus Aldridge, Carmelo Anthony,Jrue Holiday, Wes Matthews  6.11, 7.16, 8.14, 8.15, 9.16, 11.5, 11.16