Author Topic: Surprisingly, the Thunder are becoming one of my favorite teams.  (Read 5626 times)

Surprisingly, the Thunder are becoming one of my favorite teams.
« on: February 17, 2009, 02:28:43 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
OK, I have a thing for Kevin Durant. Loved him in college, love him in the NBA. I also really like Russell Westbrook and Jeff Green. This is a good young team to watch and I have to admit that I'm really beginning to like them; and if they add Tyson Chandler, they could be scarily good in a couple of years.

This makes me sad. This team should be in Seattle. I always liked the Sonics and the way that franchise was handled sickened me.

However, it's over and done with now. All I want now is for the Thunder to get rid of their WNBA jerseys and I'll stick one foot on their bandwagon while keeping another on Portland's.

Re: Surprisingly, the Thunder are becoming one of my favorite teams.
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2009, 02:31:02 PM »

Offline Andy Jick

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 89
  • You know my methods, Watson.

i remember when the browns left cleveland...although i am a steelers fan (who grew up in NE Ohio, less than an hour from cleveland) i was sad to see them go.

but i'm glad they're back...i hate them that much more.

...maybe seattle will get another team someday. :)
"It was easier to know it than to explain why I know it."

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2009, 02:32:44 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
It's also sad that the front office of the team improved dramatically just as the team was leaving. Sam Presti is quickly establishing himself as a GM wunderkind.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 02:45:22 PM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 442
Incredibly quick rebuilding since trading Ray.  Just...wow.  Very nice young core, plus all those picks coming up.  Really nice GM work.

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3783
  • Yup
Incredibly quick rebuilding since trading Ray.  Just...wow.  Very nice young core, plus all those picks coming up.  Really nice GM work.
It's that Emerson education at work  ;D
Yup

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2009, 03:12:46 PM »

Offline Celtic Fan Forever

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 2443
The Thunder undoubtedly have a tremendous future. Durant is quickly becoming a superstar, Westbrook is establishing himself as a solid PG only in his rookie year. And Jeff Green is proving why he was the 5th pick in 2007. Now you add Chandler to the mix, a much needed presence down low. This team isn't going to be looked at as a joke for much longer.

Edit: Forgot to add: they have 3 first round picks this year, one most likely a top 5
2023 CelticsStrong Historical Draft Champions - OKC Thunder
PG: Chauncey Billups/ Baron Davis
SG: Michael Redd/ Dan Majerle/ Allan Houston
SF: Peja Stojakovic/ Gerald Wallace/ Toni Kukoc
PF: Shawn Kemp/ Antonio McDyess
C: Dwight Howard/ Tyson Chandler

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2009, 03:15:12 PM »

Offline blake

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 108
They certainly will be legit.  This draft will determine their future.  Do they draft rubio and move westbrook to the 2?  Do they draft hometown Griffin and move green to the 3 and durant to the 2 where they weren't as effective?  Or do they draft Hardin and keep everyone where they are?  I guess this move for Chandler rules out Thabeet. 

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2009, 03:24:32 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
So is like Sam Presti a super genius or just a regular genius?  Every move this guy makes is logical and seems to grow his team the way he wants to.  The Thunder are putting themselves in position to be real good for a real long time.

And the ironic thing is that he's done it without too many absolutely preposterous deals that just seem he is getting lucky like LA with Gasol or similar situations.  These trades work for both teams.

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2009, 03:27:22 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
I enjoy them as well, and will be catching them in person from about 8 rows up from center court in Phoenix on Friday...

.... right before seeing the Celtics from the same seats on Sunday.   ;D ;D

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2009, 03:54:05 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
Kevin Durant is going to be the next Kobe Bryant. He already has more buzzer beaters than most veterans! Kevin Durant is the only player in the NBA in my mind that will be able to outdo Lebron in the next decade! And yes this is a bold statement!

« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2009, 04:15:17 PM »

Offline Hoyo de Monterrey

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 669
Kevin Durant is going to be the next Kobe Bryant. He already has more buzzer beaters than most veterans! Kevin Durant is the only player in the NBA in my mind that will be able to outdo Lebron in the next decade! And yes this is a bold statement!

I think LeBron is going to be too solid for him... He moves as well as anyone in the league and is a physical freak of nature, so it's going to be tough for Durant to stay with him without fouling. That said, Durant's clearly the next big thing. That kid is for real.
"Let me call him," Floyd said.

The man shook his head. "O.J. doesn't give out his cell," he said. "He'll call you."

« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2009, 04:22:54 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday

I think LeBron is going to be too solid for him... He moves as well as anyone in the league and is a physical freak of nature, so it's going to be tough for Durant to stay with him without fouling. That said, Durant's clearly the next big thing. That kid is for real.

Thats true but I think Durant will prolly be able to shoot like 46% threes because he's shooting them at 43% now. He has 9'2 standing reach and no one can contest his shot from out there. However he needs to bulk up quickly and he will very dangerous 6 or 7 years from now Lebron may get worse with time and I'm not sold on the idea that Lebron will all of a sudden develop a post game. Jordan, Bird, and Magic all had their backs to basket at Lebrons age and he's been in the NBA for 6 years now. Lebron may go down as the best ever but I dont think at age 28 or 29 he'll be running 40s at a 4.2 carrying 270 pounds on his legs. Lebron is number 1 for the next decade but I still have a gut feeling Durant could top LBJs achievements.

« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2009, 04:24:55 PM »

Offline JR Giddens

• NCE
  • Jrue Holiday
Lets be real if Lebron had Kobe's finger injury his shooting percentage would be lie 37%. I wanna see LBJ play with the flu too.

« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2009, 04:47:23 PM »

Offline Big Ticket

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 561
  • The good ole days.
Lets be real if Lebron had Kobe's finger injury his shooting percentage would be lie 37%. I wanna see LBJ play with the flu too.

A drop of .121?  Really?  So Kobe without the finger injury would be a 59.6% shooter?

"It ain't about me.  It's about us."  - KG, interview with John Thompson, 2005 All Star Game.

« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2009, 04:51:38 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
I'm a huge fan of Durant. He's my favorite young player in the league. Westbrook is scary good for a rookie, and Green is an awesome complementary guy. Can't wait to see Chandler fit in.