Author Topic: 24 (TV Show)  (Read 35902 times)

Re: 24 (TV Show)
« Reply #60 on: March 09, 2009, 09:29:03 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I wasn't expecting that with Bill.  I figured they'd save that for the season finale, or at least hype the episode more.

The way everyone is being a hard ass with Jack is ridiculous, and borderline comical.  He saves the President's life, and is taken into custody?

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: March 09, 2009, 09:54:01 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
I like the vice presidents indecisiveness.  Nothing like being completely incompetent on every level.

« Reply #62 on: March 09, 2009, 10:14:20 PM »

Offline Toine43

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 219
  • "Spare change?"
I love how the plot is just repeating its course from the beginning of the season. Jack switcches back and forth from under arrest and national hero, eventually goes rogue out of necessity, no one believes him and everyone chases him instead of the real target, and Jack ends up saving the day. Though I'm not surprised, because we've seen how they write the show the same way each season. It's kind of a joke, but I have to watch anyway.

Eddie House - for THREEEEEEE!

« Reply #63 on: March 09, 2009, 10:15:58 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
I love how the plot is just repeating its course from the beginning of the season. Jack switcches back and forth from under arrest and national hero, eventually goes rogue out of necessity, no one believes him and everyone chases him instead of the real target, and Jack ends up saving the day. Though I'm not surprised, because we've seen how they write the show the same way each season. It's kind of a joke, but I have to watch anyway.

Yeah, it's hard to disagree with any of that, including the "still watch" part.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #64 on: March 09, 2009, 10:35:54 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
If you haven't enjoyed the past couple episodes, this show isn't for you. Stop watching.

« Reply #65 on: March 09, 2009, 10:55:02 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
If you haven't enjoyed the past couple episodes, this show isn't for you. Stop watching.

enjoying the show and being critical of it are two completely separate things.  go back and watch the first season. it was creative, inventive, 'new', exciting.  Now, it is the same rehashed plot over and over again.  Still entertaining (just like the summer blockbuster action movies) but it's almost like they have given up trying to come up with a new storyboard. 

« Reply #66 on: March 09, 2009, 11:18:26 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
does anyone really take this show seriously anymore? it's always been pretty ridiculous. does'nt keep me from watching. every season is pretty much the same.what else can you really do? it's a guilty pleasure now is'nt it? me and my friend used to watch every episode and laugh at all the ridiculous stuff that would never happen. does'nt hurt the enjoyent though. it's consistently wonderfully stupid.

« Reply #67 on: March 09, 2009, 11:38:11 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Tonight is the first time I ever watched 24 live.

As a matter of fact I never watched 24 before Christmas of last year. Just never got around to it. But after seeing it win the Emmy a couple years back and having a couple of friends make fun of me religiously for not watching it my wife got me all 6 first seasons for Christmas.

I was staying up deep into the night watching 24 episode after episode without commercial interruption through the first 3 seasons or so because I thought they were so good. I couldn't go to sleep without knowing what happened next.

By the fourth season, I started thinking that our intelligence services and government in general must be pretty inept on the security end of things because the same stuff was happening over and over again. But I didn't care because I was emotionally into Jack the character and a few others.

By the fifth season is was just getting pee'd off with the moles, corrupt Presidents and Vice Presidents and Chief of Staffs, the constant use of the 25th Amendment(BTW how many times has that been put into effect in real life anyway?) and of course the constant subordinate calling into question the competency of thier superiors during times of crisis and having them remoived(sorry that never happens, even Michael Brown wasn't taken out of power in the midst of his incompetency, Remember "Good job, Brownie"?). I virtually cheered every time one of the main female characters were killed off because they were so bad and predictable.

By season six with the relatives and corrupt father and brother and sister-in-law that's in love with Jack and has a kid that looks just like Jack, I thought I had had enough.

But I was wrong.

I got caught up on line watching this season's episodes and this season is without a doubt the saddest in regards to writing and plot development than any other. Here's the problem. I'm addicted. At this point it would probably be easier to kick a coke habit than to kick stop watching Jack Bauer.

I just hope that before the series eventually wraps up that they have an unforgetably awesome season with nuances, plot twists, and credible writing that will send us off with only the fondest of memories of Jack.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2009, 11:47:21 PM by nickagneta »

« Reply #68 on: March 09, 2009, 11:43:08 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
im probably the only person on here that has never seen a single episode of 24 (which is weird bc i always think it looks pretty cool, lol)

« Reply #69 on: March 09, 2009, 11:44:50 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
Tonight is the first time I ever watched 24 live.

As a matter of fact I never watched 25 before Christmas of last year. Just never got around to it. But after seeing it win the Emmy a couple years back and having a couple of friends make fun of me religiously for not watching it my wife got me all 6 first seasons for Christmas.

I was staying up deep into the night watching 24 episode after episode without commercial interruption through the first 3 seasons or so because I thought they were so good. I couldn't go to sleep without knowing what happened next.

By the fourth season, I started thinking that our intelligence services and government in general must be pretty inept on the security end of things because the same stuff was happening over and over again. But I didn't care because I was emotionally into Jack the character and a few others.

By the fifth season is was just getting pee'd off with the moles, corrupt Presidents and Vice Presidents and Chief of Staffs, the constant use of the 25th Amendment(BTW how many times has that been put into effect in real life anyway?) and of course the constant subordinate calling into question the competency of thier superiors during times of crisis and having them remoived(sorry that never happens, even Michael Brown wasn't taken out of power in the midst of his incompetency, Remember "Good job, Brownie"?). I virtually cheered every time one of the main female characters were killed off because they were so bad and predictable.

By season six with the relatives and corrupt father and brother and sister-in-law that's in love with Jack and has a kid that looks just like Jack, I thought I had had enough.

But I was wrong.

I got caught up on line watching this season's episodes and this season is without a doubt the saddest in regards to writing and plot development than any other. Here's the problem. I'm addicted. At this point it would probably be easier to kick a coke habit than to kick stop watching Jack Bauer.

I just hope that before the series eventually wraps up that they have an unforgetably awesome season with nuances, plot twists, and credible writing that will send us off with only the fondest of memories of Jack.

very true.  As I have said, for the last 3 or so seasons I have said I wouldnt watch anymore, and yet I always do.  This year I stopped watching LOST because it was beginning to annoy me more then entertain me.  I still see the previews and want to know what happens, but the show is too annoying.  I think this will be the case with 24.  It's simply too repetitive.  I have better things to do with my time.

« Reply #70 on: March 10, 2009, 12:05:13 AM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
oh come on. you can't really expect credible writing? you have to expect a action packed completely unbeleivable show. i mean every time they solve things in almnost exactly 24 hours for crying out loud. nobody can take this show serious. you just gatta love it for what it is. i can't believe this show won an emmy.  hahaha.

« Reply #71 on: March 10, 2009, 10:34:07 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell

enjoying the show and being critical of it are two completely separate things.  go back and watch the first season. it was creative, inventive, 'new', exciting.  Now, it is the same rehashed plot over and over again.  Still entertaining (just like the summer blockbuster action movies) but it's almost like they have given up trying to come up with a new storyboard. 

What a surprise it was new, it was the first season. You have to sometimes suspend reality when you watch this show. It drove me crazy that the President wasn't out of the Whitehouse within seconds once they learned of an imminent, unknown threat. I still enjoy it, though. All I'm saying is that if you have not enjoyed the past few episodes, you might as well stop watching the show.

« Reply #72 on: March 10, 2009, 11:11:59 AM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

What a surprise it was new, it was the first season. You have to sometimes suspend reality when you watch this show. It drove me crazy that the President wasn't out of the Whitehouse within seconds once they learned of an imminent, unknown threat. I still enjoy it, though. All I'm saying is that if you have not enjoyed the past few episodes, you might as well stop watching the show.

You don't seem to understand what I am saying.  I am not complaining about the unbelievable aspects of the show.  If I were, then I wouldn't watch it because the show is nothing more then unbelievable events that would never occur.

What I am saying is that the writers have gotten lazy and essentially use the exact same script every year, changing a few characters and agencies.  Every season is about Jack breaking the rules, the agency that he 'works' for coming after him, their being moles in high enough places to sufficiently cripple the organizations, etc... 

There are no plot twists anymore.  Sure, it is 'exciting' to see who the mole will be this time, but it kind of loses the excitement when you KNOW in fact, there will be a mole, who will do some damage, get fleshed out, and that will be the end of it.

But again, I never said the show isn't enjoyable.  Watching action movies are fun - which is why the show gets such good ratings.  But I have no problem being critical of watching the same rehashed plot every season with a new mole, a new rule Jack is going to break, be persecuted for, and then appear to be the hero. 

« Reply #73 on: March 10, 2009, 11:28:40 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1818
I can make the same argument about just about any show... heck, procedurals thrive on repetition.

« Reply #74 on: March 10, 2009, 11:29:30 AM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
And I'm saying there are only so many things you can do. They're professional writers and get killer ratings every year. It just ruins the thread when someone inevitably brings up the "it's been done" angle. We get that it has. Whatever.