Poll

What's most you've ever had to drink before getting behind the wheel?

1 or 2
3 or 4
5 or 6
7 or 8
9 or more
Actually, I never drink alcohol...

Author Topic: Have you driven drunk? Answer honestly...  (Read 57144 times)

Re: Have you driven drunk? Answer honestly...
« Reply #60 on: January 21, 2009, 04:48:08 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Here's an interesting article about driving while on the cell phone (even with hands-free devices):

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/01/13/health/13well.html?_r=1&8dpc

Laboratory experiments using simulators, real-world road studies and accident statistics all tell the same story: drivers talking on a cellphone are four times as likely to have an accident as drivers who are not. That’s the same level of risk posed by a driver who is legally drunk.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions

« Reply #61 on: January 21, 2009, 04:51:34 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 235
My brother posts on this blog, so I expect he will physically beat me (more than usual) if he reads this, but I've made my share of risky decisions.  

I will say that I've only once driven and the next morning regretted it (not that I had an accident, but I recognized it as a bad decision).  I do occasionally get over the legal limit and hop behind the wheel, however I don't think I am impaired.  I think drunk driving is pretty stupid, but I disagree with what "drunk" is.  I had a friend who had a DWI while driving home the next morning, and I believe him when he says he wasn't impaired at all.

I would completely agree people on their phones are in my opinion more dangerous than your average "drunk" driver.  By average I don't mean Joe Shmoe who drank 16 shots and is flying down the highway, but the regular guy who's had 4-5 beers and is just heading home at the speed limit.

And I would agree, cell phone drivers are the biggest menace on the road.  Anyone texting on their phone while driving should have to take a driver's ed class.  Not that it will help, but it's a very annoying punishment and way worse than a ticket, IMO.

« Reply #62 on: January 21, 2009, 04:57:16 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
I think the real problem is the drunk AND texting drivers.  That's where things get really wild.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #63 on: January 21, 2009, 05:21:32 PM »

Offline RickyDavisfor3

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 16
I don't remember who it was who touched on it (this thread is getting pretty long) but someone mentioned the whole 'education' thing, how in their generation a lot of programs like DARE etc... weren't available like they are today. I think that's very true.
I know my HS used to have people try on beer goggles and drive golf carts which was to say the least, entertaining.
These programs, I think, are effective.

that being said...

I disagree fully with the age of which driving and alcohol consumption are set at.

drinking should be 16 for beer and wine. and 18 for hard liquor.
driving should be 18 - with some exceptions.

« Reply #64 on: January 21, 2009, 05:24:11 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be

I disagree fully with the age of which driving and alcohol consumption are set at.

I'm just curious how you came about with those ages?

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #65 on: January 21, 2009, 05:26:45 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
I don't remember who it was who touched on it (this thread is getting pretty long) but someone mentioned the whole 'education' thing, how in their generation a lot of programs like DARE etc... weren't available like they are today. I think that's very true.
I know my HS used to have people try on beer goggles and drive golf carts which was to say the least, entertaining.
These programs, I think, are effective.

that being said...

I kind of agree only for one reason
its kind of fun that only at states the drinking age is 21
when around the world is 18
that only makes people younger to drink against the law
or use drugs instead ( i know thats not a smart argument but its a fact)
Other thing is that i really really hate the idea that at 18 you are too young to go to a bar but youre all a man for going war and kill (simply that doesnt fit in my head)
« Last Edit: January 21, 2009, 05:36:02 PM by Edgar »
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #66 on: January 21, 2009, 05:30:50 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
So I took the time to go through and read pages 1-5 on this thread and I just had to re-post.

I really don't get it.  I sincerely hope that everyone who posted here broadly condemning all drunk drivers as some of the most selfish, irresponsible people ever doesn't drive over the speed limit.  Or drive on less than 6 hours of sleep.  Or take cold medication before heading to work in the morning.  Or answer (let alone dial or text!) their cell phones while driving.  Or even change radio stations while driving.  Heck, I hope you aren't driving in the winter until your windows are 100% defrosted!

I would agree drunk driving is not a good decision.  But so are all of the above things.  And we don't paint them all with the same broad spiteful brush of condemnation.  I thank MADD and other overzealous, borderline puritanical organizations for convincing people to take this stance.

2 years ago I had a total wreck on my car.  I didn't hurt anyone else, but I turned my Civic into an accordian.  I was stone sober.  I've never so much as bumped a curb after drinking.  Obviously, that's a poor argument FOR drunk driving.  But my point is, every time you get behind the wheel, there is a risk.  Adding alcohol raises the risk, but it is not a 100% gaurantee of disaster.  And being sober is no gaurantee of safety.

« Reply #67 on: January 21, 2009, 05:33:39 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

I don't know about him, but I started drinking at about 14. It wasn't always pretty, but I think I turned out just fine. When I got to college there were WAY too many experiencing really drinking for the first time, and at times it got quite dangerous. I'm of the idea that first drinking experiences should be done when you're still under heavy influence of your folks. I got my fair share of punishment... people in college often lack that discipline. I really don't like the idea of that the legal age of drinking coincides with the the portion of your life when you're away from your authority figures and in an environment like college.

Not that I'm saying that 14 is an appropiate age, but 18 seems a bit late in my opinion and 21 is simply a horrible age limit.

« Reply #68 on: January 21, 2009, 05:47:15 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
Drinking and driving is among a number of risky choices that can be made.  The fact that other risky behaviors exist that are not dealt with to the same level of condemnation does not mitigate the decision of driving after drinking. 
Given that:
1) people respond differently to the use of drugs/alcohol,
2) there is an inherent need to generalize when making public policy decisions (i.e., looking out for common good rather than satisfying each individuals needs)
3) many folks are impaired after 4-5 beers (or less) at being able to accurately assess the level of their own impairment

I am glad we have laws that essentially take the guess work out of this decision.  Basically, the idea is don't drink and then drive.

I'd be opposed to laws lowering the drinking age.  I was 18 when laws were 18. I am glad my 18 year old daughter and her friends do not have easy access to alcohol.

I agree that there are other risks that should rise to a higher level of importance and attention in a collective look at public safety.

« Reply #69 on: January 21, 2009, 05:49:49 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Someone needs to explain to me how the drinking age is set at 21 but studies show that 82% of college freshmen drink alcohol. Obviously the law isn't presenting a problem for the 6 million college freshmen and sophomores who are under age in America from getting their hands on and consuming alcohol.

Count me among those that believe if you can smoke cigarettes, choose your leaders, vote on the legality of civic issues, pay taxes, and join the military and die for your country at 18, then it's alright to consume alcohol.

And Budweiser has a point. If more kids were introduced into the consequences of drinking alcohol while still under a large influence by their parents, it might help negate some of the foolishness that occurs in colleges around the country.

« Reply #70 on: January 21, 2009, 06:01:40 PM »

Offline Schupac

• Jayson Tatum
Drinking and driving is among a number of risky choices that can be made.  The fact that other risky behaviors exist that are not dealt with to the same level of condemnation does not mitigate the decision of driving after drinking. 
Given that:
1) people respond differently to the use of drugs/alcohol,
2) there is an inherent need to generalize when making public policy decisions (i.e., looking out for common good rather than satisfying each individuals needs)
3) many folks are impaired after 4-5 beers (or less) at being able to accurately assess the level of their own impairment

I am glad we have laws that essentially take the guess work out of this decision.  Basically, the idea is don't drink and then drive.

I'd be opposed to laws lowering the drinking age.  I was 18 when laws were 18. I am glad my 18 year old daughter and her friends do not have easy access to alcohol.

I agree that there are other risks that should rise to a higher level of importance and attention in a collective look at public safety.

You make very good points.  TP for level headed argument.

I understand the public policy, and I'm not so opposed to it.  It would be great if laws in general could be applied less ham-handedly, but I understand this isn't Utopia.  My 2nd post was more in response to the other posters here, not the policy itself.  I just feel people condemn drunk drivers on the same level I would condemn a serial rapist.  They are judging disporportionately harshly compared to other crimes.  The absolute vitriol and judgement here is astonishing to me.  It strikes me as extremism, which when coupled with judgement I believe is socially very dangerous.

You can tell how serious I take this because I made it through an entire post without any smart-mouthed comments and quite a few big words...

« Reply #71 on: January 21, 2009, 06:03:21 PM »

Offline cornbreadsmart

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 106
i partied it up as a teen and in college. just like everyone else.  there's NO defense for driving drunk or even buzzed. you have 6 or more beers ...dude you're definitely impaired.  i would'nt want someone that had 5 beers at a bar getting behind a wheel if my kid was out on the road. oming from someone who still drinks on the weekends occasionally,indulged in herb once in a long while..it's so strange that that weed law just passed. i'm sure there are plenty people here more familiar/knowlegeable about this subject. is it  crazy to think prohibition makes more sense(it wld suck i agree) than weed being illegal?

« Reply #72 on: January 21, 2009, 06:20:34 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127

I don't know about him, but I started drinking at about 14. It wasn't always pretty, but I think I turned out just fine. When I got to college there were WAY too many experiencing really drinking for the first time, and at times it got quite dangerous. I'm of the idea that first drinking experiences should be done when you're still under heavy influence of your folks. I got my fair share of punishment... people in college often lack that discipline. I really don't like the idea of that the legal age of drinking coincides with the the portion of your life when you're away from your authority figures and in an environment like college.

Not that I'm saying that 14 is an appropiate age, but 18 seems a bit late in my opinion and 21 is simply a horrible age limit.

And yet your posting name is BudweiserCeltic... Maybe a little TOO early?! ;D

« Reply #73 on: January 21, 2009, 06:29:36 PM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
Haven't had a drink in over 20 years. Never was a drunk driver.

What baffles me though is the majority of the discussion about the consequences (not all) are more concerned with the effect this has on the driver, not the victims. I really don't care how embarrassing it is for them, or their experience in jail, etc. It's those 16k people killed (most recent numbers) and their family members that I am concerned about. 1800 of that number were young kids. Sadly the fatality is usually the other person and not the driver.

There is no question that it is tough to make smart decisions when drunk about whether or not to get behind the wheel. It is before hand that you consciously make the decision not to be bothered by coming up with the alternative to prevent that choice from needing to be made. Destroying other people's lives because you are lazy or don't want to be inconvenienced is a pretty pathetic choice to be made and if I had my way there would be a one strike rule. You ever get caught driving drunk you never have a license again. You drive afterwards anyway and you get serious jail time. I have no sympathy for this crime.

im right there with you EJ, tommy point for u!

i cant vote....bc i have never done it, nor would i ever do it.  it is absolutely pathetic when people drink and drive.  they are selfish and only think of themselves, rather than all the innocent people they endanger.

« Reply #74 on: January 21, 2009, 06:41:06 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820

And yet your posting name is BudweiserCeltic... Maybe a little TOO early?! ;D

Yet I drink I like once every two months for about 3 years now. Plus I'm quite aware of my limits, something that is easily the main problem for people that like to indulge themselves.