Author Topic: Brady behind in recovery, could miss another season!!  (Read 10347 times)

Brady behind in recovery, could miss another season!!
« on: December 28, 2008, 01:37:52 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Just out on ESPN.com:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3796019

New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fallen behind in his recovery efforts from knee surgery and could risk missing next season if a second operation is needed, NBCSports.com has reported.

Brady, who underwent surgery on Oct. 6 after tearing the ACL and MCL ligaments in his left knee in the first quarter of the season's first game, had subsequent operations on the knee after it became infected.

That infection resulted in a buildup of scar tissue, which may require surgery on the knee, the Web site reported, citing an anonymous NFL source.

The scar tissue has also affected Brady's ability to fully begin rehabilitating his leg, the report said, and the repaired ligaments remain loose.

I guess that settles whether the Pats will franchise Cassel.

Re: Brady behind in recovery, could miss another season!!
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2008, 01:44:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This is what happens when you hurt your knee and this is your girlfriend.

No time to rehab 12 hours a day.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2008, 01:55:32 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
This sounds bad.  Could this be the beginning of the end of his career? ???
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2008, 01:58:01 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

She's too pretty to show here.
(See "Responses to Super..." thread)

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2008, 02:10:38 PM »

Offline RebusRankin

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 923

Can you blame him? ;D

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2008, 02:24:26 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

Can you blame him? ;D

NO!!! I can't hardly type looking at her.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »

Offline BrickJames

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 185
  • Master Mason
Man, I wish I could be getting paid millions to sit on my arse and...spend time with...my Brazilian supermodel girlfriend.

Brady's story is unequivocal proof that life simply is not fair.
God bless and good night!

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2008, 02:46:20 PM »

Offline ManUp

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 285
  • Rondo doesn't believe in easy buckets...
Man, I wish I could be getting paid millions to sit on my arse and...spend time with...my Brazilian supermodel girlfriend.

Brady's story is unequivocal proof that life simply is not fair.

Yup...

Tp for a good laugh, and sad realization.

« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2008, 03:05:24 PM »

Offline mahonedog88

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 119
Obviously, reports like this can change.  But if he really is behind like this, so behind that there's a chance he could miss next season as well...they may HAVE to franchise Cassell.

What I think they might do now after this report has come out is that they'll franchise Cassell, see what Brady's situation is like, and if he turns out to be ready then they'll try and trade Cassell.

I thought all along that Cassell would cash in this offseason...maybe not so much anymore

« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2008, 03:17:26 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
New England Patriots quarterback Tom Brady has fallen behind in his recovery efforts from knee surgery and could risk missing next season if a second operation is needed, NBCSports.com has reported.

The only good thing about this story from the Patriots' standpoint is considering the source, the story probably isn't true.  

NBC's tabloid news staff ranks with steven i smith for accuracy in reporting.

"I thought all along that Cassell would cash in this offseason...maybe not so much anymore"

I don't know that Cassel would cash in much more over the two years he'd be franchised.  He'd probably get a longer-term contract but doubtful he'd make more per year.

« Reply #10 on: December 28, 2008, 03:36:30 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

The only good thing about this story from the Patriots' standpoint is considering the source, the story probably isn't true.  

NBC's tabloid news staff ranks with steven i smith for accuracy in reporting.

"I thought all along that Cassell would cash in this offseason...maybe not so much anymore"

I don't know that Cassel would cash in much more over the two years he'd be franchised.  He'd probably get a longer-term contract but doubtful he'd make more per year.

Oh yeah, he would almost certainly make less per year.  But putting off the big payday another year is always risky, because of the risk of injury, or regression next year. 

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2008, 10:43:10 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Obviously, reports like this can change.  But if he really is behind like this, so behind that there's a chance he could miss next season as well...they may HAVE to franchise Cassell.

What I think they might do now after this report has come out is that they'll franchise Cassell, see what Brady's situation is like, and if he turns out to be ready then they'll try and trade Cassell.

I thought all along that Cassell would cash in this offseason...maybe not so much anymore

If the reports are even remotely true, then no question that Cassell gets franchised.  The Pats don't have a ton of room under the cap (maybe $25M or so?) and the franchise tag on Cassell will eat into about half of that, which will limit what the Pats can do... a tricky situation.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2008, 10:49:37 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
What is the cost to franchise a QB in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

Might be a nice 1 year contract.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:02 AM »

Offline dark_lord

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1126
i wonder if the anonymous source has any creditability and that this is in fact true.  if it is....it sucks :(

« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2008, 10:58:24 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
What is the cost to franchise a QB in the NFL?

From Wikipedia: An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount equal to or greater than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.

Might be a nice 1 year contract.

I don't think they would put the exclusive tag on him.  Even if they didn't think Brady was coming back, if they gave him the franchise tag, and another team made an offer for him (and therefore agreed to give up 2 first round picks), they would take the picks and begin the Kevin O'Connell regime. 

Belichick and Pioli look at value above anything else, and if they could get 2 first rounders for a guy who will not be their starter in 2 years, they will take it every time. 

Honestly though, I just don't buy these reports.  I think Brady will be back next year, and Cassell will be the starting QB in Minnesota.