Author Topic: The Anime Thread Revisited  (Read 60087 times)

Re: The Anime Thread Revisited
« Reply #105 on: September 25, 2009, 08:29:04 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 26
Updates on what I have seen. In the past few weeks (Got my wisdom teeth out so I have an excuse to be this lazy)!
-On a 1-4 star scale of how much I liked each work.

Ga-Rei: Zero 2 stars...It was more of a beginning than an end. This has potential to be good down the road if they continue with it, but it is not a finished product.

Baccano! (and ova's) 4 stars...It has a little bit of everything stuffed into a small but eventful/meaningful story.

Hellsing Ultimate 3 stars...Oh this is way better than the original 13 epidoes series. The artwork is refined and the "police girl" isn't agonizingly timid. Not a finished product for they are on the 6th ova out of 10. My only gripe is that it is a reworking of something I have seen before.

Sword of the Stranger 3.5 stars...Finally a huge budget epic gets the justice that so few deservedly get. This might be the best artwork I have ever seen. You must watch this in 1080p or you will be cheating yourself!

Samurai X - Kenshin 4stars...This is how Rurouni Kenshin should have been done. I rarely get this attached to a protagonist but Kenshin was a god among men when it came to wielding a sword. You can almost personally feel the internal struggles that constantly grip him. The artwork was way ahead of it's time. I have seen this before but I forgot just how awesome this was.
"What we do in life echoes in eternity"
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #106 on: September 25, 2009, 08:47:25 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
I loved Baccano!, I haven't seen the ova's yet though. I particularly like the blonde thieves couple, they're funny as hell.

As for Hellsing Ultimate, it's not really reworking something. It's as it should've been originally since it follows closely the manga, where as the original tv series wasn't. The animation is awesome.

Sword of the Stranger I loved, I mentioned this here a while ago. I'm pretty sure that a sequel is being made. I would need to confirm though. And certainly, 1080p Bluray source is a must.

Samurai X, again awesome OVA series. I really liked the TV series though, particularly up to the Kyoto arc. Didn't care much for what happened afterwards. There's also the 2 episode OVA that happens after the TV series, which should be similar to the original OVA... though it has been quite controversial among Kenshin fans.

« Reply #107 on: December 04, 2009, 12:53:33 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Need a new series, Prefer something in the line of an action/drama with action attached. style/ quality like this block would be awesome:

Cowboy bebop
E7
ghost in the shell SAC
black lagoon
code geass

pretty much anything of high quality that includes some action. suggestions garner mucho respect and tommy points, AMV's so i can check out art style even more so :D

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #108 on: December 09, 2009, 02:27:36 PM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
Kurau Phantom Memory
Seirei no Moribito
Full Metal Panic!
Full Metal Panic!? Fumoffu (this is a comedy sequel)
Full Metal Panic! TSR
Tengen Toppa Gurren-Lagann
Samurai Champloo
Casshern Sins
Karas
Project ARMS
Baccano!
Blue Gender
Rahxephon
Fate/stay night
Tsukihime
Kara no Kyoukai
Utawarerumono
Gankutsuou -The Count of Monte Cristo-
Twelve Kingdoms
Elfen Lied
Pumpkin Scissors
Blood+
Samurai 7
Noein
Juuousei
The Third
Speed Grapher
Ergo Proxy
Basilisk

There you go... as for the AMV, that you will have to do by yourself.

« Reply #109 on: December 09, 2009, 03:43:15 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
i loved Samurai seven.

I am planning to go Bacanno this days

I have been stucked in comercial stuff

shippuden (nice this days) sad i know whats going on
full metal alchemist ( brotherhood)
and
5Ds

mainly because I can only watch anime on saturdays or thursdays

where i can find bacano in a direct page?
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #110 on: December 11, 2009, 09:06:52 PM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
Need a new series, Prefer something in the line of an action/drama with action attached. style/ quality like this block would be awesome:

Cowboy bebop
E7
ghost in the shell SAC
black lagoon
code geass

pretty much anything of high quality that includes some action. suggestions garner mucho respect and tommy points, AMV's so i can check out art style even more so :D

The new Darker Than Black is amazing...so isn't the old one if you haven't seen it.
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #111 on: February 13, 2010, 04:45:19 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
All-Star weekend...this thread needs to be revived :P
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #112 on: March 25, 2010, 12:49:53 AM »

Offline budMovin

• Brad Stevens
I'm not into love stories, but has anyone else seen Clannad/Clannad After Story? I loved it to the point that it is probably in my top 3 along side The Ghost in the Shell series and Monster (thats sacred ground). It is one of those rare series where every character procures an emotional response from the viewer. You should check it out even if you scoff at the notion of romance (Initially, I did). This has some sci-fi, comedy and supernatural that makes it really well-rounded. Also, the soundtrack is AMAZING. I am terrible at giving summaries/critiques so here are the links to the 2 seasons.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5101
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5841

If you download it I suggest your get the version subbed by ss and eclipse. They really did a good job subbing and encoding it.
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/148717465/clannad+eclipse?tab=summary
« Last Edit: March 25, 2010, 05:03:36 AM by budMovin »
                 -Gladiator

« Reply #113 on: March 25, 2010, 10:39:49 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I'm not into love stories, but has anyone else seen Clannad/Clannad After Story? I loved it to the point that it is probably in my top 3 along side The Ghost in the Shell series and Monster (thats sacred ground). It is one of those rare series where every character procures an emotional response from the viewer. You should check it out even if you scoff at the notion of romance (Initially, I did). This has some sci-fi, comedy and supernatural that makes it really well-rounded. Also, the soundtrack is AMAZING. I am terrible at giving summaries/critiques so here are the links to the 2 seasons.

http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5101
http://anidb.net/perl-bin/animedb.pl?show=anime&aid=5841

If you download it I suggest your get the version subbed by ss and eclipse. They really did a good job subbing and encoding it.
http://isohunt.com/torrent_details/148717465/clannad+eclipse?tab=summary

ty for keeping this up
I again will try baccano seems i cant find the time to start a serious series watching.
My computer is torrents unfriendly and that makes them tougher to see for me.

Nice to be back!

« Reply #114 on: August 10, 2010, 01:03:12 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Right now following a couple other than shippuden that I want to recommed

Segoku Basara 2 is very nice lots of action on it.

If you like yokai anime, Grandchild of Nunartiyou is just one of the best, with a nice inuyasha twist.

I am following bleach only and mainly because is on a nice fighting episode.

Other than shippuden right now I am trying to follow The legend of the legendary heroes, you can even see a comment of yourstruly on animecrazy.net under the name of / I am N /
i really recommend that one  is like a poors guy code gueass meats shippuden meats something else.

A lot of anime for me this vacationes, theres a monthly series called katanagari thats just airing right now once each month in monthly episodes, i recommend that ones too.
very good in my humble oppinion.

So keep this alive and enjoy new anime.

Saludos
Edgar

Nice to be back!

« Reply #115 on: December 15, 2010, 12:04:48 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
If you like yokai anime, Grandchild of Nunariyou is just one of the best,

The legend of the legendary heroes is kicking behinds theres no way you would not love it. com eon..this one rocks

katanagari is over 12 long episodes of FUN

and no more else waiting for new seasons and old series

and still curious about how bleach will end..lol
and if sometime naruto will get on track with the manga

Nice to be back!

« Reply #116 on: December 15, 2010, 03:52:01 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
I watched

Occult acedemy (good, not great)

and

Macross frontier recently. MAcross was alot better to me, but thats probably because im a robotech mark and the series is an unabashed tribute to the original :D
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #117 on: December 15, 2010, 04:37:05 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
I watched

Occult acedemy (good, not great)

and

Macross frontier recently. MAcross was alot better to me, but thats probably because im a robotech mark and the series is an unabashed tribute to the original :D
I will start with occult academy one of this days
I really recomend you the legend of the legendary and katanagatary
of course grandchild is great too.
all of them udated weekly on animecrazy dot net ( no spam ) lol

Nice to be back!

« Reply #118 on: July 04, 2011, 11:56:08 PM »

Kiorrik

Right, I have a question that comes with some info:

Series I enjoyed:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion ('n all the movies)
- Code Geass (R1 more so than R2 as it seemed a bit fabricated)
- Helsing (and now Helsing Ultimate)
- Ninja Scroll (hardly remember it, but it was fun... I think.)
- Tekkaman (or Teknoman, but that was when I was a kid, probably sucks now)
- Dragonball Z (tough, slow series, but it got me into it, as with a lot of people, I'd wager. DB was too boring for me since I knew where the characters would end up thanks to watching Z first, and I didn't bother with GT. Looked a bit too commercial. Let me know if I should wat GT, or any of the movies.)

Series I didn't enjoy as much:

- Cowboy Bebop (Not epic enough)
- L&R (Yawn)
- Samurai Champloo (Slightly boring)

Also, even though I liked the ideas, Howls Moving Castle and the like are slightly too... I dunno. Not manly enough? "And the like" means the whole drawing style, combined with the soggy story. I shouldn't call it "kiddy", but that's kind of what it feels like :p

I'm hardly a pro at Anime, so I kind of need your help, guys:

What should I watch next?

ps.: movies will do too, but I'd prefer solid series. I've seen and liked Vampire Hunter (D), Ghost in the Shell (how good & tied in is Stand Alone Complex?), Steamboy, Akira (Loved it!) and a bunch of other random ones.

pps.: I just realised there's a whole load of questions in this post. Feel free to pick some and answer 'm lol

« Reply #119 on: July 05, 2011, 12:25:00 AM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
Right, I have a question that comes with some info:

Series I enjoyed:

- Neon Genesis Evangelion ('n all the movies)
- Code Geass (R1 more so than R2 as it seemed a bit fabricated)
- Helsing (and now Helsing Ultimate)
- Ninja Scroll (hardly remember it, but it was fun... I think.)
- Tekkaman (or Teknoman, but that was when I was a kid, probably sucks now)
- Dragonball Z (tough, slow series, but it got me into it, as with a lot of people, I'd wager. DB was too boring for me since I knew where the characters would end up thanks to watching Z first, and I didn't bother with GT. Looked a bit too commercial. Let me know if I should wat GT, or any of the movies.)

Series I didn't enjoy as much:

- Cowboy Bebop (Not epic enough)
- L&R (Yawn)
- Samurai Champloo (Slightly boring)

Also, even though I liked the ideas, Howls Moving Castle and the like are slightly too... I dunno. Not manly enough? "And the like" means the whole drawing style, combined with the soggy story. I shouldn't call it "kiddy", but that's kind of what it feels like :p

I'm hardly a pro at Anime, so I kind of need your help, guys:

What should I watch next?

ps.: movies will do too, but I'd prefer solid series. I've seen and liked Vampire Hunter (D), Ghost in the Shell (how good & tied in is Stand Alone Complex?), Steamboy, Akira (Loved it!) and a bunch of other random ones.

pps.: I just realised there's a whole load of questions in this post. Feel free to pick some and answer 'm lol

Death note

Serious Anime 101

Something more light is grandchild of Nurariyou

try

animerazy.net

samurai 7 is very good

as know i love shippuden but its loooooong dont try it unless u have lots of time

If commercial go fullmetal alchemist brotherhood

Nice to be back!