Author Topic: Jamaal Magloire?  (Read 5538 times)

Re: Jamaal Magloire?
« Reply #15 on: August 21, 2008, 12:22:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I'd still rather see Antoine make a 3rd Celtic comeback and this time get into shape instead of having Scalabrine taking the backup SF role.
This has nothing to do with Magloire but DA needs to figure out how to trade Scal for Antoine.  It would have to be one of those buy-out-sign-and-trade-plus-cash deals (you know the ones) but there must be a way to make this happen?

In truth, I am not sure we would be better off but it would be fun.

« Reply #16 on: August 21, 2008, 12:42:46 PM »

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I'd still rather see Antoine make a 3rd Celtic comeback and this time get into shape instead of having Scalabrine taking the backup SF role.
This has nothing to do with Magloire but DA needs to figure out how to trade Scal for Antoine.  It would have to be one of those buy-out-sign-and-trade-plus-cash deals (you know the ones) but there must be a way to make this happen?

Yes it would be.  Gee all I had to do was say "Toine" and this thread came to life!  The guy evokes so many emotions among C's fans.  Can you imagine him backing up Pierce at SF?  Could he do it if he laid off the dougnuts and fried chicken?

« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2008, 01:24:29 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285

I'm trying to picture Twoine as a happy 13th man on any roster and a good teammate in that role ala Scal.  I don't think I could drink enough to see the picture.  Also remembering that Rivers handled Walker so well the first time.  Not to mention how anxious Danny was to re-sign him.

Magloire will fall on somebodys roster but there is no chance it's going to be our's.

« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2008, 03:43:07 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Magloire or 0'Bryant...obviously too late to debate on who to sign, but if both in green this season, who would you rely(or expect) on more for minutes and production?

O'Bryant, in spite of believing he is a terrible NBA player (although, as we all know, he has margin to improve).

Magloire can't defend. Sorry to disagree with some here, but I don't think he's a decent defender anymore. Not even close, he's atrocious. Just can't move his feet. Doesn't even try to defend the P&R. Probably the slowest NBA player in a roster last season. In our defensive system, it'd be a killer. I don't think it's a motivation problem at all, it's just that he physically can't do more. I have no idea why has he declined so quickly and so early, but it happened.

« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2008, 04:33:27 PM »

Offline Finkelskyhook

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 285
cordobes said:
I have no idea why has he declined so quickly and so early, but it happened.

Because he wasn't that good to begin with.

He had one good year.  But the best part of his career, other than that one year, was pedestrian, at best.  What Magloire was more so than anything else was a dirty player and a cheap shot artist.  He's always been horrible offensively.  A black hole when he gets the ball and a walking turnover. 

« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2008, 05:31:03 PM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
I don't entirely disagree with what you are saying Finkelskyhook, although I give Magloire more credit than you do when assessing his former self. I was exclusively talking about his physical ability and defense, where he declined severely during the last years. Anyway, I think there's a board consensus that the C's don't need Magloire. I'm pretty sure Ainge doesn't think otherwise.

« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2008, 06:52:02 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja

only if the celtics could also get gerald green in the deal.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva