Author Topic: What do the Bulls do with Ben Gordon?  (Read 7416 times)

What do the Bulls do with Ben Gordon?
« on: August 11, 2008, 12:42:54 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 870
http://www.suntimes.com/sports/basketball/bulls/1099677,gordon080908.article

If this article is accurate, Gordon has turned down 6 years @$10M per.  Wow.  So now what do the Bulls do?  I can't imagine there is a team that would trade for him at the kind of money he is looking for (with the Knicks now apparently out of that business).  If they just let him play out, he walks as an unrestricted next year.  I guess if he is signed at the $6M which is the 1 year qualifying offer, maybe they are able to trade him in-season for something.

If I was him, I would be all over $10M per year.

Re: What do the Bulls do with Ben Gordon?
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2008, 12:46:25 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
yea, apperntly ben gordon thinks he's wayyyyyyy better than he actual is.

he has to be getting some bad advice, take the 10 per ben, its about 4 more a year then your worth.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »

Offline Kwhit10

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 923
He only brings his shot, he doesn't really do much of anything else. I'm surprised he is being this greedy.

« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2008, 12:49:39 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
I really don't understand what Gordon is thinking.  Basically all the Bulls can do is let him play out the year on his qualifying offer, and then let him decide whether he wants to stay with the Bulls once he sees what is available (or not available) on the open market.

The Bulls can't really trade him this year though, if he comes back on the qualifying offer.  If they did try to trade him, he would have the right to veto the trade, because it would mean he would be giving up his bird rights, which would make it all but impossible for him to get what he wants next year.

« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2008, 12:59:54 PM »

Offline iowa plowboy

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
I'm surprised nobody has come up with a sign-and-trade idea including Brian Scalabrine.

« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2008, 01:03:31 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Bulls should slap the face of whoever offered that contract to Gordon.

Let him play out the season. 

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2008, 01:44:28 PM »

Offline BballTim

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 1123

I think the Bulls made the offer...

« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2008, 01:45:49 PM »

Online wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics

I think the Bulls made the offer...

I know.  I meant every member of the organization not involved in the offer finding the one who made the offer.

« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2008, 01:47:02 PM »

Offline zerophase

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 334
  • Anything's Possible
i think he thinks he's the next franchise player or something...

Become Legendary.

« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2008, 02:14:48 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
i think he thinks he's the next franchise player or something...

yea, he has to be getting some bad advice.

like, does he honestly think hes going to do better? i guess he might overseas, mabey some oil baron pays him to offset the force that is josh childress.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2008, 02:27:09 PM »

Offline GaBerkowitz

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 37
I remember reading somewhere that Ben Gordon felt as the teams leading scorer the last two seasons he deserved to be the highest paid player.  With Larry Hughes making somewhere in the neighborhood of 12 million per.  BG thought he deserved more then that.

Thats his justification.  If you ask me undersized two's that cant pass, guard, or play d arent worth 12 mil per.  What do people think of Eric Gordon as a comparable player to BG?

« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2008, 02:29:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
Bulls have luxury tax concerns after the Deng signing. Their starting salary is only about $8mil. Bulls avoid paying luxury tax like it's the plague so chances of him getting a better offer than he has on the table right now are terrible.

« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2008, 02:36:10 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Bulls have luxury tax concerns after the Deng signing. Their starting salary is only about $8mil. Bulls avoid paying luxury tax like it's the plague so chances of him getting a better offer than he has on the table right now are terrible.

Well, next year, Gooden will be coming off the cap, and Hughes the year after that.  They also will likely only keep one of Hinrich and Gordon long term, so if they were to resign Gordon, Hinrich would probably be gone as well.

Regardless though, unless Gordon goes out and basically turns into Gilbert Arenas this year, he is not going to be getting close to $10 million per next offseason.

« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2008, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
Given the amount of money and length of the contract he has turned down (in several different forms), I think there is more to it than just money.  I think he wants out of Chicago and their platoon of guards.  He is just trying to speed up the process and maybe getting a few extra million in the process. 

« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2008, 02:55:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
Given the amount of money and length of the contract he has turned down (in several different forms), I think there is more to it than just money.  I think he wants out of Chicago and their platoon of guards.  He is just trying to speed up the process and maybe getting a few extra million in the process. 

I don't know.  I would think if that was the case, then he would have been trying hard for a sign and trade this offseason.  I really think he thinks he is worth that much money.