Author Topic: What do the Bulls do with Ben Gordon?  (Read 7414 times)

Re: What do the Bulls do with Ben Gordon?
« Reply #15 on: August 11, 2008, 03:45:48 PM »

Offline Ersatz

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 37
Given the amount of money and length of the contract he has turned down (in several different forms), I think there is more to it than just money.  I think he wants out of Chicago and their platoon of guards.  He is just trying to speed up the process and maybe getting a few extra million in the process. 

Gotta be. He can't really think he's worth that. I thought it was ridiculous that Okafor got more than Big Al, but at least Okafor has a multifaceted game: defender, rebounder, shot blocker, and decent offense when he gets touches. Gordon's got one thing he can do. No way he's in Okafor's league as a player.

« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2008, 02:08:28 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think the best situation for him would be to take the qualifying offer and then be traded to a team he might stay with and have money so sign him next year. Memphis or Cleveland could use him. Memphis could trade out Darko or Cavs could swap Wally(exp contract) and Delonte(qualifying offer) for Gordon and Nocioni.
In the Memphis trade Chicago gets a true Center and the Grizzlies get their fight for 6th man between OJ and Gordon
With the Cleveland trade the Cavs get rid of Wally and the Delonte contract issue in exchange for a great LeBron backup and a better SG in Gordon while Chicago would get an awesome combo PG to make up for a starting-PG-in-training Rose with Delonte and get a shooting SF Wally. The numbers work out both ways and do make logical sense for both teams
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2008, 05:41:44 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
I think the best situation for him would be to take the qualifying offer and then be traded to a team he might stay with and have money so sign him next year. Memphis or Cleveland could use him. Memphis could trade out Darko or Cavs could swap Wally(exp contract) and Delonte(qualifying offer) for Gordon and Nocioni.
In the Memphis trade Chicago gets a true Center and the Grizzlies get their fight for 6th man between OJ and Gordon
With the Cleveland trade the Cavs get rid of Wally and the Delonte contract issue in exchange for a great LeBron backup and a better SG in Gordon while Chicago would get an awesome combo PG to make up for a starting-PG-in-training Rose with Delonte and get a shooting SF Wally. The numbers work out both ways and do make logical sense for both teams

I don't think so.  Chicago is probably better served just letting Gordon go.  I also think the Cavs had better use Wally's contract to give James a superstar level talent and Ben Gordon isn't it.

Also, I don't think the Grizzlies take Mayo and immediately make him slug it out with Ben Gordon for playing time.  Mayo might demand a trade before he even plays a game.
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2008, 07:48:38 AM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

If he takes the qualifying offer the chances of him getting traded are almost zero.  If he gets traded on the QO, then he gives up his bird rights, which essentially screws him next year, so he would veto any deal.

The only options would be that he would be sign and traded this year or next year.

« Reply #19 on: August 12, 2008, 10:14:42 AM »

Offline papa shuttlesworth

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 46
I think BG would be a good fit in Cleveland.  He can space the floor very well, can get his own shot when needed and can play the point in that system .  Because LeBron has the ball all the time, they really don't need a true point guard.

Of course I hope that the Cavs keep messing things up...

« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2008, 12:54:42 AM »

Offline jdub1660

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 87
I think BG would be a good fit in Cleveland.  He can space the floor very well, can get his own shot when needed and can play the point in that system .  Because LeBron has the ball all the time, they really don't need a true point guard.

Completely agreed. The Cavs could use Gordon more than Wally. Wally isn't an effective shooter. Gordon has his issues, but he's much better as that 2nd option on offense. I just don't see the point of a player taking a qualifying offer and suffering on a team they don't plan on staying with. Take the offer, and ask to be traded to a team that you would want to stay with, so you can prove on THAT team that you're worth resigning for a big contract. Look at Bonzi Wells. He was traded to NO, and took the chance to earn a contract by racking up his stats. Too bad it didn't work b/c no team has shown enough interest in him, and I think it's b/c how can a team expect that guy will produce the same numbers in their scheme. Just as you see Shaq not thriving in phoenix.
Can't stop, Rondo!

« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2008, 01:13:57 AM »

Offline Steve Weinman

• Author / Moderator
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • My alter ego

Wally isn't an effective shooter.

By what measure?  His true shooting is 57.2 percent for his career (as compared to Gordon's 54.8).  I'm not complaining about either of them (both shoot better than 40 percent from deep for their careers), but I don't understand the knock on Wally here.  There's a lot not to like about him, but I don't think "not being an effective shooter" is it.

-sw

Reggies Ghost: Where artistic genius happens.  Thank you, sir.

« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2008, 12:54:50 PM »

Offline SoulHonky

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
He has to take the QO. I just don't see any team that is going to offer him the contract he wants and I really don't see where a team on which he really fits. Memphis has Mayo and a bunch of guards, a backcourt of Mo Williams and Gordon would probably jack up more shots than LeBron. Maybe Minnesota or Miami but I doubt it. The Rockets might be an interesting option. Dallas might not be a bad spot for him but I don't see what they give up to get him.

Gordon could be a very good player but he clearly doesn't get the team concept.

The Rondomino Effect @ www.soulhonky.com