Author Topic: Manny to the Dodgers  (Read 41124 times)

Re: Manny to the Dodgers
« Reply #15 on: July 31, 2008, 04:47:11 PM »

Offline Bleedgr33n

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
i cant ____ believe this... this is the worst thing that could happen to the sox... I for one will MISS MANNY, good thing hell be a Yank next year....  BOOOOOO Boston Management BOOOOO!!!!

Manny your my boy and i hope you read this, we made a monumental mistake here

« Reply #16 on: July 31, 2008, 04:47:54 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
Dodgers don't give up squat here.

There has to be more to it. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #17 on: July 31, 2008, 04:48:54 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
just an awful deal. we could have gotten two high prospects if we had just released Manny at the end of the season.

jason bay does very little for me.

not to mention the lack of diversity on this team right now is very disappointing to me.

this is becoming a very unexciting team that very easily could miss the playoffs entirely.

i hope i am wrong.

i wasn't happy when we traded Nomar, so it's possible. although Nomar was more of an emotional thing for me.

Manny is still one of the most feared hitters in the game, and losing him is going to let other teams pitch around Ortiz.

we weakened our lineup and our pitching staff was already struggling....i don't know.....not happy right now.

« Reply #18 on: July 31, 2008, 04:49:29 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
Manny, Moss, and Hansen for Bay...wow.  That is a lot to give up.

I don't think they really got great value...but then again, I think it could work out well.  I think the Sox just gave themselves another chance to salvage this season, and they paid what they need to. 

In addition, I don't think Moss had a future with the Sox, and when you consider they were going to trade him for Ron Mayhay, it shows how little value he had.

Hansen also clearly needed to move on.  I think he will have a good career, but he didn't have the mental toughness to do it in Boston.

« Reply #19 on: July 31, 2008, 04:51:57 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Count me in the minority for loving this deal. We get an All star caliber LF this and next season for something like less than 8 mil. It's the NEXT season that's key, as Manny obviously wasn't coming back.

Also, Brandon Moss has little worth, and almost zero to our organization. All Hansen has to offer at this point is "upside". Maybe he will put it together, but it sure didn't look like it was happening this year.

« Reply #20 on: July 31, 2008, 04:53:52 PM »

Offline Mean Gerald Green

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 212
  • Cool Runnings
Count me in the minority for loving this deal. We get an All star caliber LF this and next season for something like less than 8 mil. It's the NEXT season that's key, as Manny obviously wasn't coming back.

Also, Brandon Moss has little worth, and almost zero to our organization. All Hansen has to offer at this point is "upside". Maybe he will put it together, but it sure didn't look like it was happening this year.

I like Bay a lot, I just find it odd that the Sox gave up so much for one player. They better go after Sabathia in the offseason with Manny's money.

« Reply #21 on: July 31, 2008, 04:54:36 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings

Andy Laroche is a pretty big prospect, but that's all they had to give up for Manny? I find that odd.

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2008, 04:54:46 PM »

Offline winsomme

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 255
Manny, Moss, and Hansen for Bay...wow.  That is a lot to give up.

I don't think they really got great value...but then again, I think it could work out well.  I think the Sox just gave themselves another chance to salvage this season, and they paid what they need to. 

In addition, I don't think Moss had a future with the Sox, and when you consider they were going to trade him for Ron Mayhay, it shows how little value he had.

Hansen also clearly needed to move on.  I think he will have a good career, but he didn't have the mental toughness to do it in Boston.

this guy has never played under pressure....

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2008, 04:55:22 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642

Laroche is a top level prospect.  They didn't pay a ton, but they did pay for it.

« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2008, 04:56:38 PM »

Offline 86 Celtics

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 12
I feel like we got hosed in this deal!  I can't believe this trade.  However, if it turns out like the Nomar trade - we make the playoffs and win the Series, all will be well.  I'm not so sure though.
In certain extreme situations, the law is inadequate. In order to shame its inadequacy, it is necessary to act outside the law. To pursue... natural justice. This is not vengeance. Revenge is not a valid motive, it's an emotional response. No. Not vengeance. Punishment.

« Reply #25 on: July 31, 2008, 04:57:21 PM »

Offline Bleedgr33n

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 2
im with you winsomme, this stinks, we gave up some filet mignon and got back salisbury steak... not impressed one bit

« Reply #26 on: July 31, 2008, 04:59:21 PM »

Offline bostonfan23

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 115
  • I just might be a basketball machine. -MS
The more I think about it, this trade isn't that bad. Manny will be missed, but Bay is a very good player, and controlled for the rest of this year and next.

« Reply #27 on: July 31, 2008, 05:01:00 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings
The more I think about it, this trade isn't that bad. Manny will be missed, but Bay is a very good player, and controlled for the rest of this year and next.

Like I said, this deal is fine by me if we're using the money to sign Sabathia in the offseason. It just seems like a stretch that they had to give up so much to get this done.

« Reply #28 on: July 31, 2008, 05:02:16 PM »

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 982
I was also upset in 2004...hopefully I will be wrong again..it wouldnt be the first time. But, the more I look at this, the more I cannot believe what we gave up while only getting one player back.

On a different note, the Sox scouted Bay for the past month and they obviously saw something in him that would allow them to pull the trigger on this.

What about a late inning reliever? That seems pretty big in the need department right now as well. Who will be our cleanup hitter now..Papi?

I guess this means we will be big players in the free agent market this winter on 2 fronts..pitching and hitting..

« Reply #29 on: July 31, 2008, 05:03:58 PM »

• Bill Walton
  • Cool Runnings
I was also upset in 2004...hopefully I will be wrong again..it wouldnt be the first time. But, the more I look at this, the more I cannot believe what we gave up while only getting one player back.

On a different note, the Sox scouted Bay for the past month and they obviously saw something in him that would allow them to pull the trigger on this.

What about a late inning reliever? That seems pretty big in the need department right now as well. Who will be our cleanup hitter now..Papi?

I guess this means we will be big players in the free agent market this winter on 2 fronts..pitching and hitting..

Yea why don't we get Grawbow back? How could they not make a move to improve the bullpen.