Author Topic: Rumor: Alex Cora for Juan Uribe??  (Read 7978 times)

Rumor: Alex Cora for Juan Uribe??
« on: July 24, 2008, 11:48:00 AM »

Offline celticpride07

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 222
From boston globe

Uribe in, Cora out?

A pair of shortstops might be changing their Sox. According to CBS Sportsline's Danny Knobler, Chicago and Boston are "deep in conversations" on a trade that would send Juan Uribe to the Red Sox for Alex Cora. Uribe, 29, is hitting .225 with 3 homers and 18 RBI in 151 at-bats. He makes $4.5 million per season. Cora, 32, is batting .279 with 0 homers and 5 RBI. A trade to Chicago would reunite him with his brother, Joey, who is the White Sox' bench coach.
Pick 2 Heat: 
Pg: Jennings/Vasquez
Sg: Wade/R. Allen/Rivers
SF: Lebron/M. Williams
PF: Bosh/Humphries
C: B. Lopez/Dalembert/Anthony

Re: Rumor: Alex Cora for Juan Uribe??
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2008, 11:50:50 AM »

Offline Robb

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 128
You're blowing my mind, Theo!

I actually really like Alex Cora in his role.  Maybe he's thinking about retiring or something and just wants to go hang out with his brother and the Sox are cutting him a deal?
We're the ones we've been waiting for.

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2008, 11:51:42 AM »

Offline klg05

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 3
What exactly would be the point of this trade?   ::)

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2008, 11:56:18 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
To have Uribe start at SS for the rest of the season.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2008, 11:58:07 AM »

Offline Jon

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 385
I'd rather them just find a way to make Julio Lugo go away.  Unfortunately, that's easier said than done with him on the books for the tune of 9 million per year this year and next.  I just hope they let Jed Lowrie keep the starting role.  He's better than Lugo or Cora. 

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2008, 12:01:34 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 632
Why would the Sox trade for a player that is performing worse than Lugo, Cora and Lowrie?  Lowrie is doing just fine, for now anyway.

I did hear a rumor on WEEI that the Sox are down on Cora and vice versa.  The rumor is that Cora isn't happy that he isn't getting playing time with Lugo hurt.  He thought he would get much more playing time, but that time has gone to Lowrie (and deservedly so, imo).

Not sure I believe any of it though.
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2008, 12:06:11 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
This would be a trade where we would 'lose'.  Uribe is making significantly more money.  The discussions likely involve us getting a prospect of some sort back (not a highy rated one).  It is probably more of a situation where they approached us rather then us approaching them. 

Uribe has been very very solid at defense with the exception of last year (he gained a lot of weight).  Cora is not good at D.  that is where you say that we would gain something, of some sort from this trade. 

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2008, 12:08:16 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Okay, so Uribe is slow, strikes out too much, and recently has been having trouble keeping his batting average above his increasing weight. But, he has hit 80 HRs in the last 4 years preceding this one, is a proven starting SS when healthy and in shape, and will be nothing more than a backup here and insurance in case Lowrie falls flat on his face all of a sudden.

I can live with that.

Bye Alex and thanks for everything you gave this team if this rumor becomes reality.

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2008, 12:22:46 PM »

Offline Chris

• Global Moderator
  • Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 642
It is a very strange deal.  I can understand the sox wanting to get someone as insurance for the rest of the season, but I can't imagine Uribe would be that guy.  There must be more to it than this.  Either a prospect, or it will be a bigger deal.

« Reply #9 on: July 24, 2008, 12:34:34 PM »

Offline woodrow_wilson

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 0
I think that the Weei rumor must be correct.  Cora probably thought he would at the least split time with Lowrie after the Lugo injury and he might be frustrated now with Tito/Theo.  I could see Cora quietly going to the team and requesting a trade instead of going through the media driving down his value.  He has been a class act in his time here no reason to ruin that at the end.  Either way lets hope Uribe doesnt play and that Lowrie works out.

« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 12:56:13 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
I think that the Weei rumor must be correct.  Cora probably thought he would at the least split time with Lowrie after the Lugo injury and he might be frustrated now with Tito/Theo.  I could see Cora quietly going to the team and requesting a trade instead of going through the media driving down his value.  He has been a class act in his time here no reason to ruin that at the end.  Either way lets hope Uribe doesnt play and that Lowrie works out.

You're probably right.  If it's a straight up trade, I have no problem with it, but I wouldn't want to give up any prospects for Uribe and I still want Lowrie to get almost all of the playing time (unless he struggling, of course).
"If somebody would have told you when he was playing with the Knicks that Nate Robinson was going to change a big time game and he was going to do it mostly because of his defense, somebody would have got slapped."  Mark Jackson

« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 01:27:35 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79
Cora and Lowrie have had problems getting along.  He thinks Lowrie is a know it all. 

Of course Cora would not like Lowrie, he's the guy taking his potential job. 

I could see Cora privately demanding a trade. 

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 01:51:44 PM »

Offline Bankshot

• Tiny Archibald
Cora and Lowrie have had problems getting along.  He thinks Lowrie is a know it all. 

I do remember hearing something similar, but not that Cora and Lowrie didn't get along.  I did hear something about Lowrie's cocky attitude though and had to be put in his place by some vets.

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 02:21:30 PM »

Offline steve

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 79

I do remember hearing something similar, but not that Cora and Lowrie didn't get along.  I did hear something about Lowrie's cocky attitude though and had to be put in his place by some vets.

Mike Lowell seems like the guy to tell a rookie the way it is.  Anyway over on SoSH someone with sox ties is saying that the deal will happen very soon. 

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 02:26:17 PM »

Offline Roy Hobbs

• In The Rafters
  • The Natural
  • Tommy Points: 6430
  • Doc could learn a thing or two from Norman Dale
Why would the Sox trade for a player that is performing worse than Lugo, Cora and Lowrie?  Lowrie is doing just fine, for now anyway.

Agreed.  Plus, Uribe cost more, correct?  It makes little sense to me.

All the negativity in this town sucks. It sucks, and it stinks, and it sucks. - Rick Pitino

Portland CrotoNats:  2009 CB Draft Champions