Author Topic: Rumor: Alex Cora for Juan Uribe??  (Read 7936 times)

Re: Rumor: Alex Cora for Juan Uribe??
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2008, 02:39:00 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377
Cora and Lowrie have had problems getting along.  He thinks Lowrie is a know it all. 

Of course Cora would not like Lowrie, he's the guy taking his potential job. 

I could see Cora privately demanding a trade. 

I do remember hearing something similar, but not that Cora and Lowrie didn't get along.  I did hear something about Lowrie's cocky attitude though and had to be put in his place by some vets.

Mike Lowell seems like the guy to tell a rookie the way it is.  Anyway over on SoSH someone with sox ties is saying that the deal will happen very soon. 

I'm literally shaking with excitement( a response along these lines has become obligatory at C's Blog, no?). Uribe's been garbage this year, but he's only 29 and still possibly salvageable. I think he's only signed through this year for 4.5 mil, so there's no commitment to speak of.

Lowrie's been impressive thus far, but we may have seen the best of him. He doesn't have a good rep defensively, and was only hitting two-seventy someting at AAA.

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2008, 02:44:50 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
Cora and Lowrie have had problems getting along.  He thinks Lowrie is a know it all. 

I do remember hearing something similar, but not that Cora and Lowrie didn't get along.  I did hear something about Lowrie's cocky attitude though and had to be put in his place by some vets.

Mike Lowell seems like the guy to tell a rookie the way it is.  Anyway over on SoSH someone with sox ties is saying that the deal will happen very soon. 

I'm literally shaking with excitement( a response along these lines has become obligatory at C's Blog, no?). Uribe's been garbage this year, but he's only 29 and still possibly salvageable. I think he's only signed through this year for 4.5 mil, so there's no commitment to speak of.

Lowrie's been impressive thus far, but we may have seen the best of him. He doesn't have a good rep defensively, and was only hitting two-seventy someting at AAA.

jed actually has a pretty good rep defensivly, but his problem is he projects as a major league 2b. also, he plays like d-ped, alot of contact, not alot of pop.

not sure jed has a long term future with us, i think they want some power out of that SS spot, and there are rumblings that they may ditch lugo and go after someone this offseason, and just eat some of his contract (which will be awesome, we will then officaly be subsidizing 13% of MLB SS's.)

“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2008, 03:15:41 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

jed actually has a pretty good rep defensivly, but his problem is he projects as a major league 2b. also, he plays like d-ped, alot of contact, not alot of pop.

not sure jed has a long term future with us, i think they want some power out of that SS spot, and there are rumblings that they may ditch lugo and go after someone this offseason, and just eat some of his contract (which will be awesome, we will then officaly be subsidizing 13% of MLB SS's.)

his rep as a SS for defense IS poor.  There is no sense in considering what it is or would be at 2b because pedroia is there. As a SS the scouts have major concerns whether his lack of range will prevent him from ever being a starting ss in the league. 

Its also possible that they are looking to move lowrie for BP help, and this would give us someone who is servicable until lugo gets back...barf.

I doubt they part with lugo in the offseason if they have to pay $1 of his salary. we are probably stuck with him.

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2008, 03:22:18 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157

his rep as a SS for defense IS poor.  There is no sense in considering what it is or would be at 2b because pedroia is there. As a SS the scouts have major concerns whether his lack of range will prevent him from ever being a starting ss in the league. 

Its also possible that they are looking to move lowrie for BP help, and this would give us someone who is servicable until lugo gets back...barf.

I doubt they part with lugo in the offseason if they have to pay $1 of his salary. we are probably stuck with him.

right, thats what i dais, that he projects as a major leage 2b, and that means not with us because of d-ped.

also, what makes you think they won't eat lugo's salary, espcially with them hinting at it now (at least according to WEEI's hosts, but buckly is kind of flaky) when they already pay substantial parts of 3 other SS's money, most notably rentaria's?

they don't care about the 4-5 mill they'd have to absord, belive me. Thats chump change, thier printing money down at fenway right now thanks to the pink hats, and they actually clear a ton of book space next year. 5 million to replace a horrid hole in the lineup? they don't care.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2008, 03:46:20 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing
I haven't heard anything lately about Lowrie not being able to stick at shortstop and he's been just fine defensively so far. Baseball America wrote that he improved dramatically on defense last season.

If he matches his minor league numbers he would be the best offensive shortstop in the AL. Where are all these "power hitting shortstops" that the Sox would want? Hanley Ramirez (terrible defender and unavailable), Jimmy Rollins (unavailable), Jose Reyes (unavailable), JJ Hardy (not available now), Miguel Tejada (unavailable). Shortstop is not a premium offensive position and Jed Lowrie can be a well above average offensive shortstop and an average defensive shortstop, which is just fine.

In the past scouts said they thought he was a 2b longterm but they have been coming around to him sticking at ss; not to mention he's a starting shortstop right now and looks great. We finally have a guy that will be here for a long time and won't suck; enough of the ss revolving door.
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2008, 04:00:15 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

also, what makes you think they won't eat lugo's salary, espcially with them hinting at it now (at least according to WEEI's hosts, but buckly is kind of flaky) when they already pay substantial parts of 3 other SS's money, most notably rentaria's?

they don't care about the 4-5 mill they'd have to absord, belive me. Thats chump change, thier printing money down at fenway right now thanks to the pink hats, and they actually clear a ton of book space next year. 5 million to replace a horrid hole in the lineup? they don't care.

They wont eat his salary for the very reason you just said.  they are already doing it with other SS.  you may say 4 mill isnt a lot, but 4 mill times 3 ss is 12 mill, that is a lot.  and this organization has shown that they are careful with the salaries of players, they arent going to pay another ss to play elsewhere.  The Weei guys dont have any clue about what the organization is going to do...they are speculating just like any of us.

I haven't heard anything lately about Lowrie not being able to stick at shortstop and he's been just fine defensively so far. Baseball America wrote that he improved dramatically on defense last season.

In the past scouts said they thought he was a 2b longterm but they have been coming around to him sticking at ss; not to mention he's a starting shortstop right now and looks great. We finally have a guy that will be here for a long time and won't suck; enough of the ss revolving door.

Just about every scouting report has mentioned that he doesnt have the range to be anything more then adequate as a SS.  Francona even made a comment about his slow foot speed which is a reference to range.  I agree the revolving door is annoying, but I doubt that we are watching our starter of the future.  and as for him playing great, he has had 65 at bats.  thats way to small of a sample size.

« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2008, 09:15:24 PM »

Offline ReadyFor17

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 44
  • The shortest answer is doing the thing

They wont eat his salary for the very reason you just said.  they are already doing it with other SS.  you may say 4 mill isnt a lot, but 4 mill times 3 ss is 12 mill, that is a lot.  and this organization has shown that they are careful with the salaries of players, they arent going to pay another ss to play elsewhere.  The Weei guys dont have any clue about what the organization is going to do...they are speculating just like any of us.

Just about every scouting report has mentioned that he doesnt have the range to be anything more then adequate as a SS.  Francona even made a comment about his slow foot speed which is a reference to range.  I agree the revolving door is annoying, but I doubt that we are watching our starter of the future.  and as for him playing great, he has had 65 at bats.  thats way to small of a sample size.

What's wrong with adequate? Derek Jeter is annually one of the worst defensive shortstops in the league but that doesn't seem to be much of a problem. If Jed can hit and be adequate defensively he should be the starting shortstop. His career numbers tell me that he can hit, and my eyes tell me the same. Who would you rather see playing shortstop for the Sox next season?
"But man is not made for defeat. Man can be destroyed but not defeated."

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2008, 12:06:52 AM »

Offline MBz

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 30
2. Hot trade rumor of the day: White Sox send Juan Uribe to the Red Sox, freeing up salary room to deal for Brian Roberts and paving the way to send Orlando Cabrera to the Dodgers. Death, taxes and Kenny Williams making a trade the last week of July. [CBS Sportline]

Seems to make more sense now.
do it