Author Topic: Official Euro 2008 Thread  (Read 88524 times)

Re: Official Euro 2008 Thread
« Reply #135 on: June 17, 2008, 03:08:45 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
France is in very big trouble! They need the win but Ribery got injured on the knee  and it seems very serious. I hope it`s nothing

supposedly he's ruptured his achilles tendon. that happened to christoph metzelder and kept him out for 18 months and he's not been the same since. and it happened to ronaldo, and he's not been the same since. terrible news for france, bayern and ribery himself!

i'm backing romania to qualify. they'll win 3-2 and italy will win 2-1.

« Reply #136 on: June 17, 2008, 03:13:39 PM »

Offline celticmaestro

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 81
  • "Love is the soul of a true Irishman"
wow poor france. ribery injured, abidal sent off and pirlo putting away the penalty. shame, i normally enjoy their national anthem...

« Reply #137 on: June 17, 2008, 03:40:10 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
France is in very big trouble! They need the win but Ribery got injured on the knee  and it seems very serious. I hope it`s nothing

supposedly he's ruptured his achilles tendon. that happened to christoph metzelder and kept him out for 18 months and he's not been the same since. and it happened to ronaldo, and he's not been the same since. terrible news for france, bayern and ribery himself!

i'm backing romania to qualify. they'll win 3-2 and italy will win 2-1.
Ruptured Achilles Tendon? That's going to take a long time to heal. It could severely affect his agility and acceleration going forward. Dangerous injury especially for a player like Ribery that makes his living running at people.

« Reply #138 on: June 17, 2008, 09:43:43 PM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 279
The injury and the red card gave an edge to Italy in this game but looking at the big picture France got what they deserved. Domenec hasn`t been fired yet? Not that Italy was much better. But that`s the usual Italian side. In many tournaments they had a vey bad group stage but in the knock out games they were a completely different team. They should thank Mutu for the missed penalty though...

From what i`ve read so far there is nothing certain about Ribery`s injury. If it`s indeed a raptured A. tendon then we should add "if he gets back".

« Reply #139 on: June 18, 2008, 04:13:23 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Russia look pretty comfortable now. They should go through.

Quarter Finals
Portugal vs Germany
Croatia vs Turkey
Netherlands vs Russia
Spain vs Italy

So what is everyone's picks for the winners of the quarter finals?

Portugal and Germany will be a toss up but I'm going to go with Portugal because the German's haven't shown the best of form in the opening stages.

I like Croatia to beat Turkey

Holland and Russia is going to be very interesting. I'm going to go for the upset with Russia but it's entirely possible Holland win 5-0 considering how the Spanish cut apart the Russians defense. This game could be anything. I think the Russians will pose the greatest attacking threat the Dutch have faced so far. I don't feel very good about this pick, maybe I should change. I'll sleep on it. Russia for now.

Spain and Italy will be a really good game. I think Italy will win, perhaps on penalties. I think Italy can stifle the Spanish. I think they can outmuscle them in midfield and stangle their passing for large periods of the game. Italy will always create 1-3 chances on the other end so it's a question of whether they make one of them. Yep, Italy.

« Reply #140 on: June 18, 2008, 04:17:28 PM »

Offline Tw1x990

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 47
Portugal vs Germany - portugal
Croatia vs Turkey - croatia .. at least thats who im rooting for but i can see this going either way
Netherlands vs Russia - netherlands
Spain vs Italy - italy .. i think more experience in big time games gives italy the edge.. gonna be a good game for sure.

« Reply #141 on: June 19, 2008, 02:33:10 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Portugal vs Germany / Spain vs Italy

Germany and Italy have a unique "talent" No matter the quality of their roster they always play on the highest level and overcome opponents that appear stronger. For the Italians is like a tradition to struggle through the group stage and the win the trohpy! On the other hand Spain and Protugal have excellent rosters but especialy Spain is a proven underachiever. Although the match up is very interesting in terms of names and fame i doubt it will be a good game
Portugal is more "stable" team. Their speed will be a problem for the German defenders. In a 90min game i see Portugal but if it goes to extra time then it`s Germany`s game

Croatia vs Turkey

Turkey showed great heart and passion. It won`t be wasy for Croatia but one way or another they`ll qualify

Netherlands vs Russia

I didn`t watch the game s yesterday but everyone says that Russia was very good and won easily. It was a game that they had to attack from the beggining cause a draw favoured Sweeden. Now they can play it safe. Both teams have great quality in offence but Holland is notorious for failling in knock out games. Hidding is a great plus for Russia but i like the Dutch :D . I think this will be the best game.

« Reply #142 on: June 19, 2008, 02:52:01 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 576
  • Basketball is like chess, only without the dice
Portugal vs Germany - Portugal, as always since 2002, will go as far as Deco carries them. If Deco plays at his best, we'll probably win it all; if he doesn't show up, we'll probably lose to the Germans. This game is a toss up.

Italy vs Spain - La Squadra Azurra is without Pirlo and Gattuso and that can't be underestimated. But how can one bet against Italy in a playoff game in a big competition when their opponent is... Spain?

Croatia vs Turkey - Croatia. Better overall team and a difference maker in Modríc.

Netherlands vs Russia -  Intriguing game. Holland hasn't really impressed me so far: great results, 3 wins but also 3 games that they could easily lost, had luck gone the other way. On the other hand, Russia's defense looks atrocious some times and that's something you don't want happening when facing the dutch strikers and wingers. I'll give them the edge though.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 04:32:47 AM by cordobes »

« Reply #143 on: June 19, 2008, 03:59:00 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
I forgot that Pirlo and Rino are out. Italy already had problems moving the ball forward nad now without Pirlo things won`t get better. I wonder who will take his place as "playmaker".

I agree that so far Portugal was Deco`s team but this time they seem more focused than let`s say 2004. Ronaldo is more experienced and can step up and lead the team. I can`t rule out Germans but they only stand a chance if they set a slow pace. In open field the slow German defence doesn`t stand a chance. I think that Scolari will use Christiano as a striker and in his place in the midfield Quaresma (Nuno Gomez out)

« Reply #144 on: June 19, 2008, 04:33:24 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I think that Scolari will use Christiano as a striker and in his place in the midfield Quaresma (Nuno Gomez out)

Overrating Scolari. He's not smart enough to do that.  ;D

« Reply #145 on: June 19, 2008, 04:42:01 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I think that Scolari will use Christiano as a striker and in his place in the midfield Quaresma (Nuno Gomez out)
I don't like the idea of Ronaldo up front by himself. I don't think Portugal get any advantage from that and likely end up limiting Ronaldo in the process.

Ronaldo playing up front is a fine option when he has someone to play off of but not by himself. He'll need to do all the dirty work fighting for long balls, holding up the play, getting hit more often and harder by more physical defenders, less space to exploit, less room to use his trickery and ability to run at people. He won't have the freedom to float around and pick his spots because suddenly his team would lose all balance to it's formation with nobody in the box. I don't like the idea of Ronaldo being a link-it-up player. You want to allow him be free and in attack mode.

It's like asking Dwyane Wade to be a point guard and run the offense instead of being a shooting guard and attacking his defender relentlessly. It lessens him.

It's a shame Portugal can't muster up a good striker to play with all those talented wingers they have. Leave in Nuno Gomes and let him do the grunt work and hope he has a good game or hope Ronaldo's wizardry on the wing provides a match winning display.

« Reply #146 on: June 19, 2008, 05:00:34 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I didn't know Pirlo and Gattuso were out. That's going to hurt. Why are they ruled out? Yellow cards was it?

So who's going to start in their place? Probably Ambrosini and Perrotta. Oh De Rossi, he'll get the nod. Also have Aquilani.

I'm not sure about this. I was counting on their midfield to suffocate and knock around the Spanish. No Gattuso puts a hurt on my theory. I like De Rossi as a secondary defensive midfielder, like next to Gattuso, but I'm unsure of the guy by himself. I think he's an overrated player. Ambrosini is someone I'm not wild about either. He has way too many average or below average performances. Rarely exceeds or play great games. They'll have to have one heck of a team effort and organization to stop Spain now.

That's a shame for Italy. They are already suffering without Cannavaro and a misfiring attack.

« Reply #147 on: June 19, 2008, 05:20:35 AM »

Offline ederson

• Jim Loscutoff
Ronaldo playing up front is a fine option when he has someone to play off of but not by himself. He'll need to do all the dirty work fighting for long balls, holding up the play, getting hit more often and harder by more physical defenders, less space to exploit, less room to use his trickery and ability to run at people. He won't have the freedom to float around and pick his spots because suddenly his team would lose all balance to it's formation with nobody in the box. I don't like the idea of Ronaldo being a link-it-up player. You want to allow him be free and in attack mode.

That`s another way to look at it. You may want to have CR free so he can run with the ball create for Nuno but German central defenders are too slow not to try taking advantage of it. Also if CR plays in the midfield would you put him left or right? If Lam is defending him then Germany loses a valuable asset in game creation. But also Lam can contain CR better than other defenders. I guess it`s a little  difficult to be a coach :D

But if Portugal is forced to go with long balls even with Gomez up front then i can`t see them beating Germany.

That's a shame for Italy. They are already suffering without Cannavaro and a misfiring attack.

Shame for Italy is also that they haven`t introduced a decent midfielder for ages.

« Reply #148 on: June 19, 2008, 06:13:49 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
I'm in a long winded mood today .... sorry for the length. More short sentences and thoughts needed!

Shame for Italy is also that they haven`t introduced a decent midfielder for ages.
That's a true statement. On a whole there's a lack of youth breaking through for Italy. Old team. Need more youth. Italy have had an odd number of players that breakout at about 25-28 years of age over the past few seasons .... and play at a high level for a couple of years so maybe they get lucky and get something there over the next few years. Otherwise their next cast of characters looks very thin on talent.

That`s another way to look at it. You may want to have CR free so he can run with the ball create for Nuno but German central defenders are too slow not to try taking advantage of it. Also if CR plays in the midfield would you put him left or right? If Lam is defending him then Germany loses a valuable asset in game creation. But also Lam can contain CR better than other defenders. I guess it`s a little  difficult to be a coach :D

But if Portugal is forced to go with long balls even with Gomez up front then i can`t see them beating Germany.
I think he'll start on the right with Simao on the left.

I wouldn't be too bothered about which side Ronaldo starts on. He'll float around from the sideline back inside, up front and deep, switch wings and find the spots where he's most effective. He pretty much has a free role. The rest of the team can adapt to that. Portugal's wingers all seem adaptable and effective on either flank.

Ronaldo will have opportunities to run at the German center backs from his position on the wing and it'll be easier for him because instead of working 1 on 2 where he recieves the ball with his back to the goal he'll be getting the pass on the move facing the goal and will have Nuno there taking up one defender allowing Ronaldo more room to work against only one defender.

Ronaldo and Lahm would be a very good battle. I was only thinking about Lahm's defensive ability but limiting his attacking runs would be a nice coup for Portugal. Interesting way to look at it. They'd have a very good battle like Ashley Cole and Ronaldo do although Lahm will come off worse in that battle/comparison.

I'm sorry but I can't go on ... Ronaldo would have a huge height advantage .... please just a few long balls? Let the keeper use his goal kicks out to Ronaldo and take advantage of the little guy? No? Big difference between Rolando fighting for headers with Lahm than Mertesacker. Just on goal kicks? C'mon? Ronaldo is great in the air. So few wingers with his size physically. I'd like to see every goal kick go to Ronaldo in this game. It will really irritate the opposition after awhile.

Nuno Games will need to link together the play anyway whether it's the long ball or a short passing game. He's the guy that allows everyone else freedom going forward by providing balanced spacing, holding up the ball when required and keeping the ball moving with quick passing when that's required. He'll keep the two center backs busy for the night which means they're not doing other things. He'll make the odd run which will give his teammates more space to exploit. All one striker formations require their strikers to do that. It makes a huge difference when you have a striker who is only so-so or undisciplined at these tasks .... which Ronaldo would be because it's not how he plays football and to make things doubly worse asking Ronaldo to do so limits his attacking gifts.

Nuno Gomes isn't much of a player at this level but he does offer some good things to the side. I think he should be starting up front. It's not so much about Nuno Gomes as the rest of the team. I think they're better off with him in there despite Quaresma clearly being a more talented player. The balance is better.

It would be some sight to see a gifted striker like a Van Nistelrooy in that national team with the service and talents in midfield plus the defensive qualities of their backline.

« Reply #149 on: June 19, 2008, 06:27:54 AM »

Offline cordobes

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
I don't like the idea of Ronaldo up front by himself. I don't think Portugal get any advantage from that and likely end up limiting Ronaldo in the process.

The best games Portugal had after Pauleta's retirement were with Ronaldo as a center forward. A frontline with Quaresma, Ronaldo and Simao works because they can change positions among them - Quaresma and Simao also have experience playing in this kind of tactical system in their clubs, it's not a new concept to any of them. We would have Ronaldo on the left, Quaresma on the right and Simao on the middle in a possession, then Ronaldo on the middle etc etc in the next one. They're good enough and know each other well enough to play this way and it wouldn't limit their space, quite the contrary. And Nuno Gomes is a scrub at this point of his career. If Scolari wants a classic striker that can be an effective presence in the goal area, he should play Hugo Almeida. At least he can bother the opponents central defenders and channel the crosses that come from the wingers.

It's like asking Dwyane Wade to be a point guard and run the offense instead of being a shooting guard and attacking his defender relentlessly. It lessens him.

I don't see it that way. Would you rather have Smush Parker running the point in order to allow Wade to play SG or a Kobe+DWade backcourt?

It's a shame Portugal can't muster up a good striker to play with all those talented wingers they have.

Well, with Scolari sticking with his boys Nuno Gomes and Postiga, even when they weren't playing crap - like in the last 4 years of their careers - it'd be hard to introduce a new striker.

I didn't know Pirlo and Gattuso were out. That's going to hurt. Why are they ruled out? Yellow cards was it?

Yeps, yellow card suspensions.