Author Topic: Hats off to Danny  (Read 5090 times)

Hats off to Danny
« on: May 31, 2008, 09:54:58 AM »

Offline thechief22212

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 6
Heard and read a lot about Doc, Paul, KG,Ray and all the other guys and rightfully so. Played a hell of a series and came together at all the right times. I want to tip my cap to Danny, I was along with many of you on the fire Ainge bandwagon the last few years after all this misery didn't look like it had light at the end of the tunnel. The offseason trades as well as the underrated pickups of House, Posey proved to be outstanding. If Oden was a Celt like we all had hoped a successful season for us would've been 5th in the East at best. We are now Eastern Conference Champs. Great Work Danny! Let's go C's!
Beat LA!!

Re: Hats off to Danny
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2008, 09:58:52 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Thanks Danny

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2008, 10:19:32 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
And you just know he hasn't been distracted by the playoffs victories.  He's working on the draft and any useful trades and signings for the summer.

« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2008, 11:10:44 AM »

Offline TrueGreen

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 22
And you just know he hasn't been distracted by the playoffs victories.  He's working on the draft and any useful trades and signings for the summer.
Danny Ainge is the definition of being a CELTIC. We just won the right to go to the finals and Danny wasn't even there. Why? Because we haven't done anything yet. Yes he probably is working on the draft and free agents for next year. The CELTICS do not treasure conference championships, only NBA championships. Danny will be there at the end of the next series. That's what it's about.

« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2008, 12:02:04 PM »

Offline scout

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 3
I read an article yesterday on the MSN front page. It was how Mitch Kupchak should be the league's executive of the year. Yea, because his team had the biggest turnaround in NBA history, oh wait that was the Celtics. His team did have arguably the best player in the league last year.............oh wait that doesn't help the argument. He acquired a very good player from an old friend. Reminds me when I was a kid, every year the national media would predict that the next World Champion would be L.A. Lakers, after all, they had the greatest center who ever played the game.

« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2008, 12:26:07 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43
Not to belabour a point, but Danny has done a masterful job of assembling this championship calibre team.  He brought the culture of winning back.  He brought the role players in who fit, and left the ones on the sideline that didn't (stoudamire anyone?). He showed confidence in his coaching staff when many didn't.  And as many have said, he's out there making sure next year is a repeat performance - its not about winning 1 title, its about restoring the dynasty. 

P.S. McHale deserves co-exec of the year for giving us KG  :)
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2008, 01:04:52 PM »

Offline greg_kite

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 71
I'd love to see Chief, Larry and Kevin sitting next to Danny to watch some of these games.  Especially Larry.  It would probably look bad for Minnesota if McHale came and watched.

I've loved most of the moves Danny made before Ray and KG.  He was doing the right thing through the draft and through trades.  Getting Ricky got us Wally who got us Ray.  Big Al, Delonte, TA, Rondo, Gomes, Powe and Perk were all good if not great picks.  Even his misses fooled plenty of other people (Gerald and Banks) and still have the "potential" to still have NBA careers.

I never doubted Danny and I'm so happy that he's successful.  He knows the game and he knows the league.  I just hope he sticks around after this era is done and becomes the main face of the franchise for the rest of his career, similar to what Jerry West did in L.A.

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2008, 01:24:32 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
Not to belabour a point, but Danny has done a masterful job of assembling this championship calibre team.  He brought the culture of winning back.  He brought the role players in who fit, and left the ones on the sideline that didn't (stoudamire anyone?). He showed confidence in his coaching staff when many didn't.  And as many have said, he's out there making sure next year is a repeat performance - its not about winning 1 title, its about restoring the dynasty. 

I think McHale got a lot for KG. Big Al is a beast, Gomes is a legit starter, and Bassy is a good backup pg. Also they go cap relief with Theo and 2 1st round picks. If those picks end up being good to great players, McHale will look like a genius.

As a side note, I also think they gave up on Gerald too quickly. Instead of cutting him, I'd of sent him to the NBDL and let him develop some more. :-\
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2008, 01:40:25 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
Danny done did it

Yup

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2008, 01:48:48 PM »

Offline cdif911

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 43

I think McHale got a lot for KG. Big Al is a beast, Gomes is a legit starter, and Bassy is a good backup pg. Also they go cap relief with Theo and 2 1st round picks. If those picks end up being good to great players, McHale will look like a genius.

As a side note, I also think they gave up on Gerald too quickly. Instead of cutting him, I'd of sent him to the NBDL and let him develop some more. :-\

Ah but the wolves linger in the doldrums of the NBA and draft lottery, and we are in the NBA finals - we didn't sell the farm to get the best cow...that's how I look at it
When you love life, life loves you right back

« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2008, 01:54:02 PM »

Offline ACF

• Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1157
  • A Celtic Fan

« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2008, 01:55:52 PM »

Offline Edgar

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 445
  • No contaban con mi astucia !!!
Once a CrotorNat always a CROTORNAT  2 times CB draft Champion 2009-2012

Nice to be back!

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2008, 02:22:22 PM »

Offline CoachCowens

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 9

The only exec that gave away a top player was Chris Wallace. May he rot in Memphis.

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2008, 02:56:34 PM »

Offline johnnyrondo

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1245
Agreed. We gave up a lot for KJ. Memphis GAVE away Gasol. That trade really looks suspiscious. You how with most blockbusters the trade talks get leaked at least a few days earlier. Is anyone telling me that if that Gasol trade got leaked that Memphis wouldn't have received at least 10 much better offers that same day. That was a very under the table suspicious move. To the point where, since Heisley wants to save money, I could see Buss having given him a decent under the table amount of money we will never know about.

What Wallace really should of done, considering his lackluster GM career with the C's, was offer us Gasol in the Summer for Ratliff. Basically Ratliff and Kwame served the same expiring contract purpose. Difference is the Lakers didn't have to trade let's say Bynum and we had to lose Al. A Celtics team of Pierce, Al, Rondo, Gasol, Perkins, West, Gomes and the #5 pick (or whoever you want to get for the #5) would have positioned us beautifully for now and the future.

The fact that Wallace bent over for the Lakers of all teams is disgusting.

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2008, 03:14:32 PM »

Offline PRIDE

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 41

The fact that Wallace bent over for the Lakers of all teams is disgusting.

Thats Blasphemy right there.