Author Topic: I want to hear from Celtics fans! Let's fan the flames!!!!  (Read 7887 times)

Re: I want to hear from Celtics fans! Let's fan the flames!!!!
« Reply #30 on: May 31, 2008, 12:03:40 PM »

Offline Thruthelookingglass

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 133
Amen to that. After watching an NBA 1978 season highlights film i started reading Russell's bio and History of the Celtics (boy, great reading that is), and trying to get my hands on year-old issues of SI, which were only sold in 1 shop in Amsterdam, life as a Celtics fan always been hard over here. In the 80'smost my teammates where Doctor J. or Magic adepts, kidding me around for wearing a Bird T. The championships made up for all that. Hate to never have been able to watch Bird live in the Garden or on TV.
The hubbub at the start of this season got me all excited again, following every result closely, building up hope, and now we're here, the Finals arena: 

"In the greeeeeen corner, weighing 1095 pounds, the 1986 NBA Champions....BOSTON CELTICS".
How sweet it is for Paul Pierce.

Wow DutchHoops, that's dedication and a great story!  Hope you are able to watch now--I use ESPN's 360 to stream to my computer.

Re: I want to hear from Celtics fans! Let's fan the flames!!!!
« Reply #31 on: May 31, 2008, 01:34:24 PM »

Offline Nerf MVP

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 103
I was 6 the last time the C's won the championship. I had no appreciation for it whatsoever. I knew who Larry Bird was.

The first year I truly followed the team was either the 87-88 or 88-89 season. My memory's a little foggy but I recall Kevin Gamble just being some scrub at the end of the bench until the end of the year when he got some playing time and had a couple of 30-40 point games. I remember the Pistons knocking us out and Dennis Rodman and Brad Lohaus fighting at the end of the game; then Rodman running around with no shirt on.

There wasn't really a moment that I can remember becoming a C's fan. It was gradual. My disliking Rodman can be traced back to that game though.