Author Topic: TNT segment last night...  (Read 12102 times)

Re: TNT segment last night...
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2008, 02:49:15 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55
People in Boston care more about the Sox then the celtics.  thats a fact.

Although I will say this entire year I have seen more celtics gear then ever before (although still nothing compared to Sox).

During my exams yesterday I saw 3 people (including myself) wearing Celtics gear...out of the maybe 200 people I saw.  I think I probably saw 20-30 with Red Sox stuff. 

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2008, 03:26:00 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200

Although I will say this entire year I have seen more celtics gear then ever before (although still nothing compared to Sox).

Hasn't always been the case.  I hate to age myself, but in the 80's the Celtics and Bruins were 1 - 2 in this town.  I was talking to someone the other day and we were talking about how in 1983 our class voted the B's #1, the C's #2 in favorite sports teams.

Yesterday, Cafardo had an article about Clemens and talked about his 20 K game.  Fenway was 1/2 empty that night and no one was watching the game because the Celts were in the playoffs against I believe the Hawks.  As for the Pats, heck in 1992 we'd have to drive to NH to watch a game on TV due to the stadium never being sold out.

1986 after the All-Star Break was when everything turned for the Sox.
1993 with Parcells and Bledsoe was when everything turned for the Pats.

By 1993 the Celts and Bruins were in a nose dive and that's where we are today.

The BoSox fans were just voted #2 most baseball knowledgeable in the country (St. Louis)- I would argue that the core group of Celts & Bruins fans are in the same boat for their respective sports.  Hard to say that for the Pats fans though, their are some crazy rabid football fans nationwide.
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2008, 03:44:51 PM »

Offline Celts1485

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 26
Does anyone have a link to this segment?

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2008, 03:49:29 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen

Hasn't always been the case.  I hate to age myself, but in the 80's the Celtics and Bruins were 1 - 2 in this town.  I was talking to someone the other day and we were talking about how in 1983 our class voted the B's #1, the C's #2 in favorite sports teams.

Yesterday, Cafardo had an article about Clemens and talked about his 20 K game.  Fenway was 1/2 empty that night and no one was watching the game because the Celts were in the playoffs against I believe the Hawks.  As for the Pats, heck in 1992 we'd have to drive to NH to watch a game on TV due to the stadium never being sold out.

The BoSox fans were just voted #2 most baseball knowledgeable in the country (St. Louis)- I would argue that the core group of Celts & Bruins fans are in the same boat for their respective sports.  Hard to say that for the Pats fans though, their are some crazy rabid football fans nationwide.

That may be the case, but the discussion is regarding what is going on in boston now...unless i misread it.  So when talking about Boston right now, I think it is fair to say that there are large portions of people who are completely indifferent to the Celtics.  There are larger portions of people (again, right now) that would prefer to watch a regular season Sox game then a playoff game with the celtics.  In fact, I would love to see the C's in the finals on the same night as a Sox/Yankee's game.  I'd be willing to bet that the sox game would get higher ratings in the boston/surrounding areas then the c's game (and I am not saying that is the way it should be, just the way it is).

Additionally, that last paragraph that you mention that in also ranked fenway number 21 out of baseball stadiums.  it was based on internet voting.  I wouldnt put to much stock in that one way or another.

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2008, 04:25:10 PM »

Offline quidinqui33

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 71
If your team plays well, the fans will come.  Us diehards will always be there of course.

The celts have not been that great in 20 years.  There are a ton of kids that have grown up only knowing about the Pats and Redsox as champions, and maybe they've heard about the great Celts years.

If the celts win a couple of rings in the next several years and remain competitive in other years...the fans will be back, and new fans will be made as well. 

Just like the celts were in a winning slump, the redsox will face this, the pats will face, the bruins, and the non-diehard will shift accordingly.

Naturally, the pats and redsox deserve the love right now, and the celts are working on getting that love back.

With that said, of course TNT was going for a certain angle with that piece.  That's how the news is.

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2008, 04:30:51 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I didn't see the segment, but I will say this. TNT and ESPN go out of their way to make the Boston sports franchises and their fans look bad. Someone in Atlanta, Dallas, Portland, Seattle or Memphis who know nothing of Boston are going to believe what is presented. We as Boston people and Celtic fans understand the absurdity of interviewing Red Sox fans on Yawkey Way about the Celtics. People in other areas who aren't familiar with Boston won't. We ask "Why aren't they doing the interview from Landsdowne street?". People in Memphis say "How could someone in Boston not know the Celtics are in the playoffs?". They don't understand the amount of out of staters that are in Boston from August to May. They don't have 4 very good to great franchises with long histories and traditons and a solid core of fans. They aren't as cosmopolitan or complex as Boston is. So they believe everything that the networks telecast.

They think no one knows about the Celtics. They think Celtic fans are fair weather fans. They think the Garden actually was half filled last year. They believe the crap that Barkley and the other color guys and play by play guys push out of their anus. Tony Allen an offensive player? Paul Pierce a gang banger? What other crazy, stupid, and ludacrious things are they going to say next that the rest of the country will swallow.

Until then ignore these idiots, they know not of what they speak.

« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2008, 04:33:21 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
All I know is that I hope it was because this was during halftime.  I went uptown to purchase some beers with my friend during halftime of the Celtics game (saturday) and I looked into one of the bars that have 4 TVs and everysingle TV was on the Sox game.  Now I understand this being Red Sox Nation, but come on, having Sox games during CELTICS PLAYOFF GAMES is pretty insane to me.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #22 on: May 01, 2008, 04:34:23 PM »

Offline EJPLAYA

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 127
There are a lot of Celtics fans who posted on and on about how great TA was as a slasher and used last years stretch with PP down as proof. Why is this so far off? I don't believe it because I think TA shouldn't get a minute of PT, but a lot of Celtic fans do...

« Reply #23 on: May 01, 2008, 04:44:48 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3781
  • Yup

Ahem, that same class also voted a certain someone "FUNNIEST"... ;D

GO SJH!  (what the hell was our nickname?)

And yes, the B's and C's ruled the roost in those days.

John Kiley on the organ was the entertainment at the Garden.  Anyone remember the guy who did the halftime act inside a bubble?
Yup

« Reply #24 on: May 01, 2008, 04:57:18 PM »

Offline hardlyyardley

• NCE
  • Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 149
South Shore Fan wrote

Yesterday, Cafardo had an article about Clemens and talked about his 20 K game.  Fenway was 1/2 empty that night and no one was watching the game because the Celts were in the playoffs against I believe the Hawks

I was at the Garden that night...I believe it was a pivotal game vs Detroit, either #5 or #7 and we were getting updates about Clemens

By the way....say hi to your folks
( From Redz dad)

« Reply #25 on: May 01, 2008, 05:03:03 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
South Shore Fan wrote

Yesterday, Cafardo had an article about Clemens and talked about his 20 K game.  Fenway was 1/2 empty that night and no one was watching the game because the Celts were in the playoffs against I believe the Hawks

I was at the Garden that night...I believe it was a pivotal game vs Detroit, either #5 or #7 and we were getting updates about Clemens

( From Redz dad)

If I remember right the Clemens game was against Seattle and wasn't even on a local feed to watch. Remember, at that point the Sox had sucked since 1983 and Clemens was just some tall kid who had a great college career and could throw hard. Clemens became Clemens that night and today's Red Sox nation, for many, can be traced back to that very night, when suddenly the Red Sox had a reason to get national attention and keep it.

« Reply #26 on: May 01, 2008, 05:10:12 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3781
  • Yup
South Shore Fan wrote

( From Redz dad)

See you in a few!

Anyone have their father on here?  Kind of weird! 

TP for watching my kids!
Yup

« Reply #27 on: May 01, 2008, 05:17:58 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
They think no one knows about the Celtics. They think Celtic fans are fair weather fans. They think the Garden actually was half filled last year. They believe the crap that Barkley and the other color guys and play by play guys push out of their anus. Tony Allen an offensive player? Paul Pierce a gang banger? What other crazy, stupid, and ludacrious things are they going to say next that the rest of the country will swallow.

Until then ignore these idiots, they know not of what they speak.

The garden WAS half filled last year...lol

I used to be able to grab $10 seats the day of the game, and then essentially have my choice of seats.  The only games that were difficult to do that with were the big time games (lebron, kobe, etc...)

« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2008, 05:22:10 PM »

Offline Mark Acres Mom

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
Until the Celtics win No.17, they will always be a 3rd behind the Sox and Pats.  Once they win the Championship, they'll be back at the top.

« Reply #29 on: May 01, 2008, 05:28:06 PM »

Offline paintitgreen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 154
It's interesting how this thread turned out.

To start with, I just want to clarify. I have no problem with people from Boston not being Celtics fans. That's their prerogative. A lot of people don't like basketball, or gave up the NBA because it became a "thug league" or the entire league became fixed (note: I don't agree with either of those comments, I'm just citing common reasons people give me for not following basketball), or gave up on the Celtics because they started to suck. Again, no problem with people not being Celtics fans. What I do have a problem with is TNT using people at a Red Sox game as indicative of how Celtics' fans feel.

Dickerson's FSN report is fundamentally flawed for the same reasons. I'm sure a lot of people in Atlanta have no time for the Hawks. They've been inept for so long, it's not hard to see why. Plus for a lot of people in the south, pro sports in general mean nothing - college is king. I just think both segments are manipulative, and while FSN's thing is only written for and shown to Celtics fans, TNT's segment was shown to a national audience, and in my view, was intended to portray Bostonians as fair weather fans. Need I remind you where TNT is based...

Look, the Celtics are not the same as the Red Sox, I know that. It is interesting for me to see the posts on this issue, though. I was born in 80, and loved the Celtics above all else. I thought it was because I preferred basketball as a sport over baseball or football or hockey, but honestly, I don't know whether that was because my whole family was more into the Celtics and basketball and ingrained that in me or if I just liked basketball more. Regardless, I was fortunate enough to come along at a time when it was easy to immediately like all Boston teams. The Pats sucked a lot of that time, but I went to a game when I was a kid and loved it so I loved them. The Red Sox were good enough when I was young that I wasn't gonna root for anybody else. Same with the Bruins (although I was never that into hockey until college). And the Celtics were king. I stayed a fan of all of them (except the Bruins, honestly) because I love sports.

The only way I personally wouldn't love a Boston team is if I really didn't care about the sport. I don't care much about hockey - if the Bruins won, I'd be happy for Bruins fans I know but I personally wouldn't care. So I don't hold any ill will toward anybody who doesn't love the Pats or doesn't love the Celtics or doesn't love the Sox. I just don't want one of those people to represent the fans of my team on a national broadcast. It's frustrating, infuriating and quite frankly, embarassing.

Part of me understands why TNT did it. Boston fans are generally a pretty obnoxious bunch. People like to put us down not out of jealousy for our teams, but because we constantly accuse them of being jealous of our teams. Here, maybe TNT is just saying, look, Boston, don't talk about how you have the best fans if your city doesn't even know about the team. Boston is not a basketball town, it's not a Celtics town, I'm okay with that, but don't use the fact that not everybody in the city likes the Celtics to show that Celtics fans are bad. Celtics fans are just fine. I wish TNT would have talked to some.

Also, maybe the biggest point of this segment is some people on this site and in general should rethink what they're saying about Hawks fans being bad. Hawks fans could be just fine, it's just that there aren't a ton of them (again, not tough to see why). The city's overall lack of support of the team doesn't mean the Hawks don't have a group of really good fans.
Go Celtics.