Author Topic: TNT segment last night...  (Read 12101 times)

Re: TNT segment last night...
« Reply #30 on: May 01, 2008, 05:28:39 PM »

Offline crownsy

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 157
They think no one knows about the Celtics. They think Celtic fans are fair weather fans. They think the Garden actually was half filled last year. They believe the crap that Barkley and the other color guys and play by play guys push out of their anus. Tony Allen an offensive player? Paul Pierce a gang banger? What other crazy, stupid, and ludacrious things are they going to say next that the rest of the country will swallow.

Until then ignore these idiots, they know not of what they speak.

The garden WAS half filled last year...lol

I used to be able to grab $10 seats the day of the game, and then essentially have my choice of seats.  The only games that were difficult to do that with were the big time games (lebron, kobe, etc...)

it used to be easy to get into foxboro and fenway to. winning has a way of filling up the seats, in any city.
“I will hurt you for this. A day will come when you think you’re safe and happy and your joy will turn to ashes in your mouth. And you will know the debt is paid.” – Tyrion

« Reply #31 on: May 01, 2008, 07:52:49 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 200
I went uptown to purchase some beers with my friend during halftime of the Celtics game (saturday)

Going on a packy run during halftime -- ahh the good old days!!

TP
I cannot begin to tell you how much I love my kids - call me a sap, it's true.

« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2008, 07:57:20 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
South Shore Fan wrote

Yesterday, Cafardo had an article about Clemens and talked about his 20 K game.  Fenway was 1/2 empty that night and no one was watching the game because the Celts were in the playoffs against I believe the Hawks

I was at the Garden that night...I believe it was a pivotal game vs Detroit, either #5 or #7 and we were getting updates about Clemens

By the way....say hi to your folks
( From Redz dad)

If I remember right the Clemens game was against Seattle and wasn't even on a local feed to watch. Remember, at that point the Sox had sucked since 1983 and Clemens was just some tall kid who had a great college career and could throw hard. Clemens became Clemens that night and today's Red Sox nation, for many, can be traced back to that very night, when suddenly the Red Sox had a reason to get national attention and keep it.

I was watching the Celts and my grandfather called me to alert me to what was happening at Fenway.  Watch the replay of that game and the entire right field from the grounds crew out to the bleachers was empty.  It was always that way - always.

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2008, 08:02:13 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
It's interesting how this thread turned out.

To start with, I just want to clarify. I have no problem with people from Boston not being Celtics fans. That's their prerogative. A lot of people don't like basketball, or gave up the NBA because it became a "thug league" or the entire league became fixed (note: I don't agree with either of those comments, I'm just citing common reasons people give me for not following basketball), or gave up on the Celtics because they started to suck. Again, no problem with people not being Celtics fans. What I do have a problem with is TNT using people at a Red Sox game as indicative of how Celtics' fans feel.

Dickerson's FSN report is fundamentally flawed for the same reasons. I'm sure a lot of people in Atlanta have no time for the Hawks. They've been inept for so long, it's not hard to see why. Plus for a lot of people in the south, pro sports in general mean nothing - college is king. I just think both segments are manipulative, and while FSN's thing is only written for and shown to Celtics fans, TNT's segment was shown to a national audience, and in my view, was intended to portray Bostonians as fair weather fans. Need I remind you where TNT is based...

Look, the Celtics are not the same as the Red Sox, I know that. It is interesting for me to see the posts on this issue, though. I was born in 80, and loved the Celtics above all else. I thought it was because I preferred basketball as a sport over baseball or football or hockey, but honestly, I don't know whether that was because my whole family was more into the Celtics and basketball and ingrained that in me or if I just liked basketball more. Regardless, I was fortunate enough to come along at a time when it was easy to immediately like all Boston teams. The Pats sucked a lot of that time, but I went to a game when I was a kid and loved it so I loved them. The Red Sox were good enough when I was young that I wasn't gonna root for anybody else. Same with the Bruins (although I was never that into hockey until college). And the Celtics were king. I stayed a fan of all of them (except the Bruins, honestly) because I love sports.

The only way I personally wouldn't love a Boston team is if I really didn't care about the sport. I don't care much about hockey - if the Bruins won, I'd be happy for Bruins fans I know but I personally wouldn't care. So I don't hold any ill will toward anybody who doesn't love the Pats or doesn't love the Celtics or doesn't love the Sox. I just don't want one of those people to represent the fans of my team on a national broadcast. It's frustrating, infuriating and quite frankly, embarassing.

Part of me understands why TNT did it. Boston fans are generally a pretty obnoxious bunch. People like to put us down not out of jealousy for our teams, but because we constantly accuse them of being jealous of our teams. Here, maybe TNT is just saying, look, Boston, don't talk about how you have the best fans if your city doesn't even know about the team. Boston is not a basketball town, it's not a Celtics town, I'm okay with that, but don't use the fact that not everybody in the city likes the Celtics to show that Celtics fans are bad. Celtics fans are just fine. I wish TNT would have talked to some.

Also, maybe the biggest point of this segment is some people on this site and in general should rethink what they're saying about Hawks fans being bad. Hawks fans could be just fine, it's just that there aren't a ton of them (again, not tough to see why). The city's overall lack of support of the team doesn't mean the Hawks don't have a group of really good fans.

Nice piece.  TP.

Historically speaking though, Atlanta has the worst fans pro sports fans in the country.  I have often believed that it's because Atlanta is such a transient city.

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2008, 08:08:26 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
South Shore Fan wrote

Yesterday, Cafardo had an article about Clemens and talked about his 20 K game.  Fenway was 1/2 empty that night and no one was watching the game because the Celts were in the playoffs against I believe the Hawks

I was at the Garden that night...I believe it was a pivotal game vs Detroit, either #5 or #7 and we were getting updates about Clemens

( From Redz dad)

If I remember right the Clemens game was against Seattle and wasn't even on a local feed to watch. Remember, at that point the Sox had sucked since 1983 and Clemens was just some tall kid who had a great college career and could throw hard. Clemens became Clemens that night and today's Red Sox nation, for many, can be traced back to that very night, when suddenly the Red Sox had a reason to get national attention and keep it.

I was watching the Celts and my grandfather called me to alert me to what was happening at Fenway.  Watch the replay of that game and the entire right field from the grounds crew out to the bleachers was empty.  It was always that way - always.
Yup it was. That is until later that year. Then that all changed.

I used to love being able to go to the game and buy bleacher tickets at the gate for 4-5 dollars. Ahhhh the 70's, the good ole days. Now I have to take out a third mortgage on the house to get into Fenway.

« Reply #35 on: May 01, 2008, 08:11:12 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Nice piece.  TP.

Historically speaking though, Atlanta has the worst fans pro sports fans in the country.  I have often believed that it's because Atlanta is such a transient city.

Although the Braves always had good fans

« Reply #36 on: May 01, 2008, 08:29:29 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown

Nice piece.  TP.

Based on what???  I've been to 4 Braves games in the past 6 years - games during a time in which they were leading the division by 10+games and the place was 1/3 full.  I had a game that I showed at Turner field without tickets and they gave "gave" us tickets to the 755 Club because there was no one there (We figured they were trying to move food and beverage and needed people in there to do so).  How would you like to be able to show up to Fenway or the Garden and have them just give you premium seats?  Happened in Atlanta to me.

« Reply #37 on: May 01, 2008, 08:42:50 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be

Nice piece.  TP.

Based on what???  I've been to 4 Braves games in the past 6 years - games during a time in which they were leading the division by 10+games and the place was 1/3 full.  I had a game that I showed at Turner field without tickets and they gave "gave" us tickets to the 755 Club because there was no one there (We figured they were trying to move food and beverage and needed people in there to do so).  How would you like to be able to show up to Fenway or the Garden and have them just give you premium seats?  Happened in Atlanta to me.

Also, the Braves have consistently failed to sell out playoff games in recent years.  That's pretty ridiculous.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #38 on: May 01, 2008, 10:03:17 PM »

Offline yall hate

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 55

Nice piece.  TP.

I was going strictly based on what I had seen on tv.  They always look full.  the fans always look passionate.  but maybe it is just the way it looks on tv.

« Reply #39 on: May 01, 2008, 10:11:01 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
South Shore Fan wrote

( From Redz dad)

I used to love being able to go to the game and buy bleacher tickets at the gate for 4-5 dollars. Ahhhh the 70's, the good ole days. Now I have to take out a third mortgage on the house to get into Fenway.

Yup ... and forget about concessions ... I remember when a hot dog was under a buck! Thing is, though, if we as fans refused to pay these absurd prices, it would change real quick. Too bad there aren't unions for consumers! (Yeah, right!)
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *

« Reply #40 on: May 01, 2008, 10:17:36 PM »

Online Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3781
  • Yup
South Shore Fan wrote

( From Redz dad)

Yup ... and forget about concessions ... I remember when a hot dog was under a buck! Thing is, though, if we as fans refused to pay these absurd prices, it would change real quick. Too bad there aren't unions for consumers! (Yeah, right!)

And peeing in those troughs with 10 beer belching strangers bumping against you really brought that Friendly Fenway feeling to a level that you really just can't get any more. 

Lobster salad MY RUMPUS!  Where's the cigar stand?
Yup

« Reply #41 on: May 01, 2008, 10:19:34 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
South Shore Fan wrote

( From Redz dad)

What was amazing about the empty right field corner was, the silence and the coolness.  I remember how quiet it was over there (mainly where I sat as a kid) and how cool it got.  Now the right field corner is a focal point -- but up until July of 86 it was a ghost town for most night games.

« Reply #42 on: May 01, 2008, 10:22:08 PM »

Offline SShoreFan

• Jaylen Brown
South Shore Fan wrote

( From Redz dad)

And peeing in those troughs with 10 beer belching strangers bumping against you really brought that Friendly Fenway feeling to a level that you really just can't get any more. 

I am revoking my TP of earlier  ;D--- a memory I had surpressed -- the steady flow of urine in the troughs - funny how the stream was much clearer in the later innings.  ewe!!

« Reply #43 on: May 01, 2008, 10:41:49 PM »

Offline Bahku

• CB HOF Editor
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 3632
  • Oe ma krr pamtseotu
South Shore Fan wrote

( From Redz dad)

LOL! Man, Redz ... what a mental image! Weird how my folks never worried about me being kidnapped or molested by some creep back then. Such a different world then, (or maybe they were hoping I would be, lol!) Used to wander around Fenway as a kid, and other kids did, too ... it was a kid's world then, or seemed to be, anyway.
2010 PAPOUG, 2012 & 2017 PAPTYG CHAMP, HD BOT

* BAHKU MUSIC *