Author Topic: Patriots 2026-2027 Season  (Read 30600 times)

Billz401 and 0 Guests are viewing this topic.

Re: Patriots 2026-2027 Season
« Reply #90 on: Today at 05:04:11 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15950
  • Tommy Points: 1843
It looks really bad and I can't make excuses. What I will say, I predicted they'd start the year 1-3 and finish 10-7 and make the wild card round. I still feel that way. They'll fall to 1-3 after losing to the Bills, but then 3 of the next 4 are Raiders, Jets and Dolphins.

Obviously they got to play better especially the QB, but I don't think the season is over and also, guys like Josh Allen/Lawrence also took a handful of years to figure it out and become more consistent. Maye just turned 24 and is in his 3rd year, he has the tools, body and skillset to succeed. It's not the same as Mac Jones and others like Zappe who were limited to begin with and not high-ceiling guys.

Frankly I think the coaching and roster is a deeper issue that'll get exposed further. McDaniels' offense feels like a "high floor" kind of offense but not a consistent high-scoring one like other teams and systems. Mac Jones had a nice rookie season, but that felt like the ceiling. Hopefully not, but it might be the same with Maye right now and even in the playoffs they had a lot of trouble scoring. The playcalling also reflects it at times. And while they added AJ Brown, I'm not sure Doubs was a good signing and they lack depth in a lot of areas which can get exposed very quick when multiple guys go down in a game. That's a roster issue, and the 2024 draft was terrible outside Maye, in fact most guys are gone from it. I guess Maye alone carries it if he is a franchise QB, but still. And Kyle Williams unfortunately feels more "bust than hit" so far, our 3rd rounder from 2025.

I still maintain they 1000% could have kept Diggs. He basically only signed for 8M. Instead of Chism/Williams they could have just kept Boutte/Diggs even as more insurance behind AJ Brown and Doubs.


A QB can have all the physical gifts, but if their decision making and ability to perform under pressure isn?t there, it doesn?t matter. Some of the mistakes by Drake are mind numbing. We are now into year 3. He has the same offensive coordinator, the offensive line is playing well enough. This should not be happening.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
Quote
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

Re: Patriots 2026-2027 Season
« Reply #91 on: Today at 05:09:53 PM »

Online Phantom255x

  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 40289
  • Tommy Points: 3528
  • On To Banner 19!
It looks really bad and I can't make excuses. What I will say, I predicted they'd start the year 1-3 and finish 10-7 and make the wild card round. I still feel that way. They'll fall to 1-3 after losing to the Bills, but then 3 of the next 4 are Raiders, Jets and Dolphins.

Obviously they got to play better especially the QB, but I don't think the season is over and also, guys like Josh Allen/Lawrence also took a handful of years to figure it out and become more consistent. Maye just turned 24 and is in his 3rd year, he has the tools, body and skillset to succeed. It's not the same as Mac Jones and others like Zappe who were limited to begin with and not high-ceiling guys.

Frankly I think the coaching and roster is a deeper issue that'll get exposed further. McDaniels' offense feels like a "high floor" kind of offense but not a consistent high-scoring one like other teams and systems. Mac Jones had a nice rookie season, but that felt like the ceiling. Hopefully not, but it might be the same with Maye right now and even in the playoffs they had a lot of trouble scoring. The playcalling also reflects it at times. And while they added AJ Brown, I'm not sure Doubs was a good signing and they lack depth in a lot of areas which can get exposed very quick when multiple guys go down in a game. That's a roster issue, and the 2024 draft was terrible outside Maye, in fact most guys are gone from it. I guess Maye alone carries it if he is a franchise QB, but still. And Kyle Williams unfortunately feels more "bust than hit" so far, our 3rd rounder from 2025.

I still maintain they 1000% could have kept Diggs. He basically only signed for 8M. Instead of Chism/Williams they could have just kept Boutte/Diggs even as more insurance behind AJ Brown and Doubs.


I?ve said this from the beginning. A QB can have all the physical gifts, but if their decision making and ability to perform under pressure isn?t there, it doesn?t matter. Some of the mistakes by Drake are mind numbing. We are now into year 3. He has the same offensive coordinator, the offensive line is playing well enough. This stuff shouldn?t be happening.

Personally, that's kind of my concern. The play-calling to me at times seems very conservative, and many times they are facing a 3rd and long. How is that a recipe for success? The run game also isn't getting going that much. That part might be a roster issue and lack of depth. And I'm sure all this stuff is also getting into Maye's head. It's mental, and I'd think the coaches and coordinators would try to reign in him.

We saw this with Mac Jones. Great 2021 with McDaniels, then they went to Judge-Patricia and it blew up. But even 2021, when they went up against great teams and needed to score a lot they had trouble. I'm beginning to feel McDaniels' system in offense is limited for today's NFL. It worked with the GOAT and in the 2010s when games weren't as high-scoring.

McDaniels isn't terrible, in fact I think he's a solid OC. I'm just not sure he's an ideal OC for someone with Maye's skillsets and physical attributes. It also feels like McDaniels is here just because of familiarity and because the Raiders' are paying his salary, which is a whole other piece involving ownership

Look at Josh Allen too. They had some coaching/coordinator turnovers and growing pains, but he seemed to really figure it out once Joe Brady took over as OC and then he really took off.
« Last Edit: Today at 05:15:50 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Patriots 2026-2027 Season
« Reply #92 on: Today at 05:19:46 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

  • Reggie Lewis
  • ***************
  • Posts: 15599
  • Tommy Points: 1124
I hate to say it, but I am starting to wonder about Josh McDaniels.  Has he ever been good when he wasn't working for Bill Belichick or calling for Tom Brady?  I guess maybe last season.  This season, though, the offense does not look prepared.  Maye does not look prepared.

Re: Patriots 2026-2027 Season
« Reply #93 on: Today at 05:33:05 PM »

Online Neurotic Guy

  • Paul Pierce
  • ***************************
  • Posts: 27275
  • Tommy Points: 2829
It looks really bad and I can't make excuses. What I will say, I predicted they'd start the year 1-3 and finish 10-7 and make the wild card round. I still feel that way. They'll fall to 1-3 after losing to the Bills, but then 3 of the next 4 are Raiders, Jets and Dolphins.

Obviously they got to play better especially the QB, but I don't think the season is over and also, guys like Josh Allen/Lawrence also took a handful of years to figure it out and become more consistent. Maye just turned 24 and is in his 3rd year, he has the tools, body and skillset to succeed. It's not the same as Mac Jones and others like Zappe who were limited to begin with and not high-ceiling guys.

Frankly I think the coaching and roster is a deeper issue that'll get exposed further. McDaniels' offense feels like a "high floor" kind of offense but not a consistent high-scoring one like other teams and systems. Mac Jones had a nice rookie season, but that felt like the ceiling. Hopefully not, but it might be the same with Maye right now and even in the playoffs they had a lot of trouble scoring. The playcalling also reflects it at times. And while they added AJ Brown, I'm not sure Doubs was a good signing and they lack depth in a lot of areas which can get exposed very quick when multiple guys go down in a game. That's a roster issue, and the 2024 draft was terrible outside Maye, in fact most guys are gone from it. I guess Maye alone carries it if he is a franchise QB, but still. And Kyle Williams unfortunately feels more "bust than hit" so far, our 3rd rounder from 2025.

I still maintain they 1000% could have kept Diggs. He basically only signed for 8M. Instead of Chism/Williams they could have just kept Boutte/Diggs even as more insurance behind AJ Brown and Doubs.


A QB can have all the physical gifts, but if their decision making and ability to perform under pressure isn?t there, it doesn?t matter. Some of the mistakes by Drake are mind numbing. We are now into year 3. He has the same offensive coordinator, the offensive line is playing well enough. This should not be happening.

I?ve been more concerned (or at least as much concerned) about the zip on the ball and his accuracy than his decision-making.  He?s still got some legit brain development opportunity over the next couple of years and he has to undo the 2 years of significant pressure in the pocket so that his first thought when he steps back isn?t *where?s the pressure?*.  That?s a panic mindset and it leads to poor decision making. 

It?s a bit heartbreaking to watch but I?m still hopeful.  On Sunday, while Pats were still alive, I was thinking he really needs a good drive - and he just couldn?t make it happen. The confidence needs to be reinstalled and I?m worried that it isn?t going to happen.

Re: Patriots 2026-2027 Season
« Reply #94 on: Today at 06:29:05 PM »

Online Phantom255x

  • James Naismith
  • *********************************
  • Posts: 40289
  • Tommy Points: 3528
  • On To Banner 19!
I hate to say it, but I am starting to wonder about Josh McDaniels.  Has he ever been good when he wasn't working for Bill Belichick or calling for Tom Brady?  I guess maybe last season.  This season, though, the offense does not look prepared.  Maye does not look prepared.

Yeah that's what I'm saying. I feel there's a ceiling to his offenses and while the floor can be high, as we saw with Mac Jones and even Newton/Zappe for short spurts, I just don't think it's good enough when you play better teams where you need to score points. Brady is the GOAT and at times was able to elevate the team, but it's unfair to expect Maye or anyone (besides Mahomes/Allen-types) to be Brady level.

Like some of these obvious runs up the middle into the defense, or even the short passes on 2nd and long which still lead to a 3rd and long. Is that Maye just audibling to those plays? I doubt it. And sometimes when they desperately need something big, they seem to utilize trick plays (like yesterday's Chism-to-Hollins play), which is more a sign that they don't even trust their receivers, QB and/or the playcall to be able to pull it off. Which is also alarming. It's not a prolific offense. The Rams, Lions and others teams just create offense easily and make it look easy. Sometimes it's a root canal for the Pats.

I still go back to the Seahawks game. Yes, Maye was horrific in the 4th and cost them the game. But they had every opportunity to go for the kill in the first half, including right before halftime and McDaniels drew up the most conservative plays and kept it 7-0 and 10-0. Then of course SEA gets some momentum at home and capitalizes. Come on dude...
« Last Edit: Today at 06:36:02 PM by Phantom255x »
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Re: Patriots 2026-2027 Season
« Reply #95 on: Today at 07:05:52 PM »

Online SparzWizard

  • Johnny Most
  • ********************
  • Posts: 20418
  • Tommy Points: 1189
I'm not so sure the Pats even beat the Raiders and Jets. Both teams are playing better than New England. Hell the Pats have to play at the house of horrors in Miami in like Week 7 or 8 and given that they got curb-stomped in Florida yesterday, that's no gimme anymore.

Feels like the game has passed by McDaniels. Besides, it sounds like it was Brady who made McDaniels looked good, not the other way around. Josh benefitted from a very easy schedule last season.

The OL is pretty mid so far. Owenu is out for the year so he's more vulnerable.


#FireJoe
#JokeMazulla 2026
#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown) - Mission Accomplished 2026
I am the Master of Panic.