Author Topic: Pacers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Eastern Conference Finals Game 1 5/21/24  (Read 17863 times)

Re: Pacers (0-0) at Celtics (0-0) Eastern Conference Finals Game 1 5/21/24
« Reply #1155 on: May 22, 2024, 02:16:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
I guess it's obvious now that the other team isn't just going to let us have a procession to a coronation  :police:

We have to be able to win while not playing at our best and while they give us their best shot. I think we did that tonight, though I'm sure Indy can play better still. They turned the ball over 21 times vs our 14. But I think we can also play better, and I think we can play better for longer than they can.

More importantly I think we were able to hang in there and put ourselves in a position to win key moments to let us win the game - like pressuring Siakam to turn the ball over, and then Jrue getting the ball to JB who made a tough 3 to tie, and then Tatum overpowering TJ for an and-one and then that 3 at the top of the key after Hali was pressured to lose the ball.

The game is comprised of hundreds of those little moments and we were able to win the ones that really mattered, when they mattered. We wanted to see if they could win a close game, well they managed that at least, and while not playing as well as they could. Should also remove any illusions people have that Indy will be a pushover. They will fight, and every game will be contested, but I think we can win the 3 more we need to get to the FInals :laugh:

Late TPs for everyone!!
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #1156 on: May 22, 2024, 02:21:26 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
I feel like a close game in game 1 will really change the way they approach game 2.

This to me will focus them for Thursday.

Get to Indy up 2-0 and split there. Come home for game 5.

I'm expecting the same thing now. I had expected a loss but I'm now expecting a win Game 2. Then possibly a split where the Pacers really catch fire from 3 at the Fieldhouse, with the chance to close it out Game 5, which could go either way. Still sticking to my win in 5-6 games, but I expect every single game to be tightly contested. The only scenario where we or they could win by a lot is if one teams shoots 50% from 3 and the other shoots 25%. If you look at all our blowouts, as well as the blowouts in the Denver-Wolves series, that's basically what happened - one team shoots lights out from 3 and the other doesn't and its good night nurse :angel:

« Reply #1157 on: May 22, 2024, 02:40:10 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Maybe this propels the Celtics like the Tatum basket vs the nets two years ago

This game gave me that 2022 Nets Game 1 vibe. Now this series is starting to give me the same vibes as that Nets series....against a #6 seed in the East? so a sweep incoming? Game 2 we'll be trailing by like 18 before coming back to clinch it?

Wishful thinking  ;)

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #1158 on: May 22, 2024, 02:46:50 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Maybe this propels the Celtics like the Tatum basket vs the nets two years ago

This game gave me that 2022 Nets Game 1 vibe. Now this series is starting to give me the same vibes as that Nets series....against a #6 seed in the East? so a sweep incoming? Game 2 we'll be trailing by like 18 before coming back to clinch it?

Wishful thinking  ;)

Nothing focuses the mind like getting an almighty shock the first game  :laugh:

« Reply #1159 on: May 22, 2024, 03:29:03 AM »

Offline azzenfrost

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 177
NGL, I was real worried
I moved the cheese.

« Reply #1160 on: May 22, 2024, 03:40:40 AM »

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
Great win!!
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #1161 on: May 22, 2024, 03:42:27 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Tim Bontemps didn’t treat us well on Sportscenter…used the word “escaped” about 3 or 4 times, said that “Celtics now have to do something they haven’t done all playoffs - win first 2 games at home”. Said Celtics said “they weren’t prepared for Indiana’s speed” and then he spent like 2 mins talking about how awesome Indy’s shooting was. No mention of Indy’s 21 turnovers of course or Tatum and Browns clutch shots or Jrue’s performance   ::)

I guess everything he said was true  :P and no different to what everyone said on the game thread but the narrative from the national media is clear…the Cs are an unstoppable juggernaut and anything close to a tight game will be treated as a “moral victory” for the opposition. I suppose they want a David vs Goliath storyline  :angel:

« Reply #1162 on: May 22, 2024, 03:48:17 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 759
https://x.com/_jasonlt/status/1793085587827871948?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

Interesting stat: Per Synergy, Boston has been the very worst pick and roll defense in the playoffs so far out of all 16 teams by a wide margin, allowing 1.09 points per possession including passes.

Their bigs just don't do well in space.

The strategy has to change. No more extreme drop coverage, and we simply have to play X and/or smaller more. No exceptions.

Yeah, but they keep playing that scheme even though it is not working - that's on Joe.
Sometimes I think the guy is brain-dead. What goes through his mind when he watches us get burned over and over ?
The Four Celtic Generals:
Russell - Cowens - Bird - Garnett

The Four Celtic Lieutenants:
Cousy - Havlicek - McHale - Pierce

« Reply #1163 on: May 22, 2024, 03:49:20 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
apologies for the repeat, how do i delete a post after saving it ?

« Reply #1164 on: May 22, 2024, 03:50:07 AM »

Offline tenn_smoothie

• Paul Silas
We just have to hope our talent can overcome our stupidity to get this title.

as we said

if we win

we win IN SPITE of JOE SCHMOE

dang, sorry again, I am clumsy on this sometimes.

« Reply #1165 on: May 22, 2024, 04:45:23 AM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
As nice as the win was it wasn’t an overall good performance at all

Mazzulla being the main one headlining it I don’t feel good about him at all, having any kind of pulse or adjustments on what the team needs. Especially as the series gets tougher and going forward. Defense was awful we need to shore up on that end big time

Our bench looked brutal at times and [dang] near unplayable. We’ll see if they can step it up next game
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #1166 on: May 22, 2024, 07:08:47 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Gotta figure out the Kornet and hauser issue. Neither looked like they could play out there.

Kornet got a little better in the second half but Hauser is a real problem. Also Joe seems to go away from PP a lot in the second half.

« Reply #1167 on: May 22, 2024, 07:53:35 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Tim Bontemps didn’t treat us well on Sportscenter…used the word “escaped” about 3 or 4 times, said that “Celtics now have to do something they haven’t done all playoffs - win first 2 games at home”. Said Celtics said “they weren’t prepared for Indiana’s speed” and then he spent like 2 mins talking about how awesome Indy’s shooting was. No mention of Indy’s 21 turnovers of course or Tatum and Browns clutch shots or Jrue’s performance   ::)

I guess everything he said was true  :P and no different to what everyone said on the game thread but the narrative from the national media is clear…the Cs are an unstoppable juggernaut and anything close to a tight game will be treated as a “moral victory” for the opposition. I suppose they want a David vs Goliath storyline  :angel:

When the Knicks win last minute this guy gushes. When the Pacers beat NY in game 3 on a step back 3 from the logo its why we love the NBA playoffs. When Dallas has to rally pretty much every playoff game they are praised for being tough.

Boston rallies in a game they probably don't win last year and they say the Celtics escaped.

The media said "I want to see what the Celtics do when it gets tough. When they have to show grit. I want to see JT rise to the occasion. I want to see Brown make winning plays."

Well they did that last night and now the response is "i can't believe they went to OT with the Pacers"...after spending all day telling me the Pacers are a very dangerous team and many blow hards explaining how they can win the series.

Boston and specifically JT are judged through a different lens. Key injuries do not apply to them. Rust vs Rest does not apply to them. Having close playoff games in the ECF is not allowed for them. It is just nonsense.

I personally do not think the pacers can shoot it much better than they have the last 2 games. To me, this is their ceiling and usually shooting levels out. Boston really did not shoot well and won.

« Reply #1168 on: May 22, 2024, 07:57:49 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
Great win!!

It is a great win, we took the best shot from a team desperate that needed to win game one .
Momentum is everything , if you have don’t have home advantage and are the underdog, it extra tuff.

I think the Celtics will take game 2 .

« Reply #1169 on: May 22, 2024, 08:03:12 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
Jrue was amazing. We need to go to him more. He could have probably had 40. He had the most quiet 28 I’ve ever soon. None of their guards can defend him. I’d rather that than a fadeaway jumpshot from Tatum any day of the week given our opponent

jrues jump hooks and posting up in the paint is nearly unstoppable. we need more of that. he gets within 10 feet of the rim and in the paint and he will score.
LET'S GO CELTICS!