Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at Cavaliers (1-2) Eastern Conference Semifinals Game #4 5/13/24  (Read 13233 times)

Offline Emmette Bryant

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 287
I saw a video clip of Jarrett Allen trying to shoot around at practice. He did not look to good. Some FTs. And some baby hooks where he was barely getting off the ground and just sorta flipping it up there while trying to minimize body movement (pain avoidance I presume).

Looked a fair bit off where he will need to be in order to return.

Anybody who has ever hurt their ribs knows the level of agony Allen is going through. It is a total joke that he has been listed as questionable for so long despite him so obviously being unable to play, but I have to believe that the Magic and Celtics have known the situation. It's not like they've been blindsided by any of this.

It only hurts when you breathe.

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 718
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I keep telling myself Cleveland has to have a stinker at some point...esp Mitchell.

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2978
https://x.com/timbontemps/status/1790032819189653719?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

No Donovan Mitchell or Jarrett Allen on the court here at Cavaliers shootaround when the media is let in. Both are questionable for tonight’s game - Mitchell with a calf strain, Allen with a bruised rib.

Really doubt we see Allen at all. Definitely expect Mitchell to play, but he very well may be limited, which for someone who relies on his athleticism as much as Mitchell is not great.

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 718
  • MASTER OF PANIC
https://x.com/timbontemps/status/1790032819189653719?s=46&t=lGU0TGXtwjkuVuoin6WTNw

No Donovan Mitchell or Jarrett Allen on the court here at Cavaliers shootaround when the media is let in. Both are questionable for tonight’s game - Mitchell with a calf strain, Allen with a bruised rib.

Really doubt we see Allen at all. Definitely expect Mitchell to play, but he very well may be limited, which for someone who relies on his athleticism as much as Mitchell is not great.

Need to get this done tonight and end it in game 5. Cavs are beat to heck. Do not let them hang around. Mitchell might play tonight but I am not sure how much he can give them on a calf strain.

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019

Need to get this done tonight and end it in game 5. Cavs are beat to heck. Do not let them hang around. Mitchell might play tonight but I am not sure how much he can give them on a calf strain.

I would tell my players to politely target Mitchell's calf on the court. Put some weight and pressure onto it. Once he can't handle it, he'll just have to sit out and lose some minutes.

If you put your injured player on the court, expect a strategy to target that injury. Call it rude but any means to win playoff games.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

I would tell my players to politely target Mitchell's calf on the court. Put some weight and pressure onto it. Once he can't handle it, he'll just have to sit out and lose some minutes.

If you put your injured player on the court, expect a strategy to target that injury. Call it rude but any means to win playoff games.

Just attack his defense. Make him close out hard and attack his closeouts.

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 887
Luke Kornet is listed as Probable, Game Time Decision also.  Some may get their wish and see more of Tillman (I doubt that Queta plays in any case).

In spite of the potential Kornet injury, Celtics still favored by 8.5.  Celtics need to play hard.  CLE is not going to roll over.  They played like they meant it last game.  Let's see if they can repeat that.

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1624
if mitch does not play we have to finish this tonight and then at home in 5

break their spirits and will tonight with a 30 point beatdown.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1406

How would we do this without fouling  ???

Rather than try to change a strat, I think they just need to focus on the fundamentals - defend your yard, contest 3s, aggressive closeouts, and move the ball. If we do that better than Cleveland does we should be fine, Mitchell or no Mitchell.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 432
I wear Mitchell out if I’m the Celtics,, go at him & put white or holiday on him, not Al
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

Online Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2562

Just attack his defense. Make him close out hard and attack his closeouts.

Yes - just make him work.  increase likelihood he aggravates the calf. But don’t ’go after the calf’ as in ‘take out the leg’.   

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1019

How would we do this without fouling  ???

Rather than try to change a strat, I think they just need to focus on the fundamentals - defend your yard, contest 3s, aggressive closeouts, and move the ball. If we do that better than Cleveland does we should be fine, Mitchell or no Mitchell.

Of course we don't foul him. Meant it to get aggressive with him on defense forcing him to use his limping calf more. It should wear him down. And if we do foul him, make it physical but not dirty lol.

But yeah, do everything else too with effort

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3774
  • Yup
if mitch does not play we have to finish this tonight and then at home in 5

break their spirits and will tonight with a 30 point beatdown.

Let Mitchell get his 50, more afraid of him facilitating and getting open shots or dunks from Mobley.  Keep Strus and Garland from getting hot.  Not even gonna mention Mr. Twenty Point 4th Wade!

The rest stay cool, and we're good.  Defend the shooting and bump Mitchell whenever you can. 

Stranger things have happened but the Celts really should take this thing in 5.  Cleveland is totally lacking in physical play without Allen.
Yup

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
I know the severities and grades are different for all, but dang how many calf strain injuries are we seeing this postseason? And remember, even Kornet had it early in the Miami series.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2512

This is bad news for the Celtics. Our boys don't respond well to fortunate circumstances.