Author Topic: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread  (Read 64078 times)

Re: Celtics 2024 Playoff Run Thread
« Reply #315 on: May 16, 2024, 02:43:19 AM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1415
Man.  People are so flippin angry about the Celtics.  I’ve never seen such general joylessness over a playoff run.  It’s seriously bumming me out.  Not just here.  Everywhere.  And by Celtics “fans”.

More like boring. Beat two completely useless opponents. It’s not that impressive. Those teams had no chance, neither do the Knicks. If they were out west it would be totally different.

That is where I am. I am not that engaged in this playoff run because the opponents have been such low quality. This playoff run has lacked any excitement. There has been no jeopardy. No risk. Everything is easy. And the next round will be the same.

It won't be until the Finals that we meet a real opponent. And that won't even feel like a playoff run. More like a single series.

It is not even that the team has been that great. It is more the opponents have sucked so badly. It = I mean, the cakewalk. It = The difference between the two sides.

It is not like they are putting on some masterclass. Some dominant beatdown. They are cruising along in 2nd gear with no need to even go into 3rd.

I guess this year's run is less stressful than the last two year so maybe that's the upside.

ECSF and ECF were Game 7 trillers in 2022. ECSF was another thriller in 2023. The ECF was not how I expected the C's to come out against the Heat, down 0-3 and all.

But all in all, they should at least get an opponent in the East that will play smashmouth basketball with them.

I think they are likely to crush either the Pacer or the Knicks with just shear talent, even if Kp were to miss most or all the series.

Like the Knicks may very well start a lineup with 4 guys 6'4 or below. And the c's would have, by far the best defensive personnel for Brunson. If that team were healthy it would be an interesting series, but they aren't.

I don't think we will be crushing anyone on a per game basis, except maybe one game where we shoot 50% from 3. With the volume we shoot we could win such a game by 30 points. But I think all the other games will be tightly contested, but we should win each one, similar to how the Cavs series went. We will probably lose a game, again I'm guessing Game 2, because that's usually the first adjustment that the other team makes, and if that adjustment coincides with us shooting poorly from 3 it's usually a recipe for a loss. These games aren't easy to win no matter how easy they sometimes make it look. Imagine going to work and having to be at your absolute best every day, every meeting, no mistakes...that's what we expect of them. So when they fall short the sky is falling in.

I'm expecting a 4-1 scoreline, or at worst a 4-2 but I doubt there will be easy games, those of us in the game threads will find plenty to yell about and criticize them for  :police: I think we were all very uncomfortable through this Cavs series, even though we did win 4-1, which is more than the other teams in the 2nd round have done, because the expectation we all have of this team is that they will blow everyone out of the gym by 30 each time, which just isn't realistic.

As someone in the game thread earlier this week said "if we play to our best we should thrash everyone" well it's hard for each person to play at their best at the same time, to play a perfect game, and at the same time the other team is trying to stop us doing so...but we just need to win more moments in the game than the other team and I think we can definitely do that  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #316 on: May 16, 2024, 06:11:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 378
when the celtics go 7 against the sixers, bucks, miami its choking and "extending series they shouldnt"

when they take care of business and beat mediocre teams in 5 its..."boring, dont have killer instinct" they cant win..

no one complained when Denver beat a bunch of trash bag teams last year through the west and the finals.

its funny watching the same negative posters call the celtics a "mediocre team" one that won 64 games in the regular season and is 8-2 in the post season so far

« Reply #317 on: May 16, 2024, 07:25:21 AM »

Offline Larry for 3

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 33
  • Believe in Boston
when the celtics go 7 against the sixers, bucks, miami its choking and "extending series they shouldnt"

when they take care of business and beat mediocre teams in 5 its..."boring, dont have killer instinct" they cant win..

no one complained when Denver beat a bunch of trash bag teams last year through the west and the finals.

its funny watching the same negative posters call the celtics a "mediocre team" one that won 64 games in the regular season and is 8-2 in the post season so far

Denver actually won a championship so i can’t knock it. But a lot of these posts mirror this team sense of entitlement. They act like they’ve won something. This team hasn’t won anything. I don’t care if they won 64 games or 164 games, means nothing. And two series victories against teams missing their best players supposed to impress me? Not yet. Let’s see what happens when they face a team that can actually threaten them.
"They forgot about Larry Bird"--- Danny Ainge, 1987

"What happened to the Lakers??!!"--- Wyc Grousbeck, 6/17/08

« Reply #318 on: May 16, 2024, 07:32:19 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 433
6th ECF in last 8 years, actually didn’t realize that..pretty good but no championship hopefully it will be this season
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #319 on: May 16, 2024, 07:38:32 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I am torn about who I want in the EFC. Knicks have no size or depth but will out work the other team which is one of Boston's bad habits. Plus the Cs have issues with small guards getting into the lane. Brunson would be tough.

Pacers are young and dumb and not good on the road. But they have more quality depth. Plus they have a big that can shoot 3s.

« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2024, 08:41:35 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I was curious to do a comparison of some key stats of the top players.  These numbers are for the Conf Semi round only.  This is 5 games for all players except Donovan Mitchell who only has 3 games, but I left him in.  The primary sort/order is by USG%

Player                MIN        USG%     TS%        Pts        Rebs        Asst
Jalen Brunson       37.6       34.5%      56.8%      32.0        3.0          5.8
Nikola Jokic          39.6       31.8%      62.0%      29.4       10.4          9.2
Shai Gilg-Alex      40.9       31.3%      59.0%       31.4        9.0          7.2
Jayson Tatum       40.3       29.8%      56.6%       26.8      10.4          6.2
Don Mitchell         39.9       29.3%      65.8%       31.7        6.3         5.3
Ant Edwards         41.3      29.0%      66.4%       30.2         4.8         5.8
Luka Doncic         40.9       27.7%      52.8%       23.8       10.6         8.4

I didn't want to go into stats like NRTG as those are more impacted by team and by competition.  I stuck to the personal stats.  Some observations.  Brunson is scoring, but not much else.  Doncic's scoring is down, but he is doing everything else.  Edwards should rebound more but Towns and Gobert likely gobble up a lot of rebounds.  Tatum's TS% is helped by FTs but should be better.  Could Jokic do any more or be any more efficient?  SGA is pretty complete/consistent as well.

« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2024, 08:53:31 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3779
  • Yup
I am torn about who I want in the EFC. Knicks have no size or depth but will out work the other team which is one of Boston's bad habits. Plus the Cs have issues with small guards getting into the lane. Brunson would be tough.

Pacers are young and dumb and not good on the road. But they have more quality depth. Plus they have a big that can shoot 3s.

Bring on the Knicks.  That toughness will be good for the Celtics and beating the Knicks in front of rabid MSG crowd is always enjoyable.
Yup

« Reply #322 on: May 16, 2024, 08:54:38 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655

i'd prefer the knickerbockers just to shut up all new yorkers along with spike lee and SAS and ram it down their throat.   8)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #323 on: May 16, 2024, 08:55:03 AM »

• Johnny Most

Bring on the Knicks.  That toughness will be good for the Celtics and beating the Knicks in front of rabid MSG crowd is always enjoyable.

amen
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #324 on: May 16, 2024, 08:58:28 AM »

• Johnny Most

i'd prefer the knickerbockers just to shut up all new yorkers along with spike lee, jay z, and SAS and ram it down their throat.   8)
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #325 on: May 16, 2024, 08:58:36 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1646
  • What a Pub Should Be

Can never go wrong with a Boston-New York anything.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #326 on: May 16, 2024, 09:06:17 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

I agree with this.  I think a series vs. NYK will prepare us better for the finals.  Easier travel for one thing and there will be more hype, more pressure.  Probably force us to play better.

« Reply #327 on: May 16, 2024, 09:52:28 AM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3061
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm confident Boston beats either team in 6 games.

I sort of feel the same way as when we were looking at Cleveland vs. Orlando. Each of NY/IND have their strengths and flaws, and a unique playstyle. Boston is still just better and more talented. I don't have a strong preference. I do think in a market standpoint, BOS vs. NY would be box office.

Almost could have had both in NBA + NHL but sadly I doubt the Bruins win their current series. Rangers up 3-2 in theirs.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #328 on: May 16, 2024, 10:07:57 AM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
DDDP

Different Day, Different Player

DW
PP
JH
JB
AH
JT

All have made considerable contributions in different games. The only rotation players who haven’t are Luke and Sam… yet. Of course, KP will when he’s back. Luke’s contributed just not to the level of others. Sam has a 5-6 game in him.

When considering what the identity of this team is, DDDP may be answer.

« Reply #329 on: May 16, 2024, 12:08:04 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 956
Anunoby says he will be back for the ECF. Don't know much about a hamstring strain.

What can somebody tell me about Isaiah Hartenstein? He seems to be their only player with height.