Author Topic: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start  (Read 8422 times)

Re: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« Reply #30 on: November 02, 2023, 06:22:22 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1406
Why are you guys crapping on Marcus Smart? He's had a good start of the season.

Oh goody, the sports fan equivalent of getting turned down by a woman and then saying "Yeah whatever you're ugly anyway"  ::)

Bit of schadenfreude. When people break up with someone with whom they've had a love-hate relationship I think there's always some resentment to prove they're better off without that person. Jim's analogy is good but to me it's more like creeping your ex's Facebook and laughing if they are lonely or if they are dating some deadbeat  :angel:

Personally, it doesn't bother me what Smartacus does, he's no longer a Celtic. I wish him well and would like to see him succeed, but if he doesn't it's no skin off my back.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #31 on: November 02, 2023, 06:44:13 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not his fault. He's a role player and they're missing Adams and Morant + others.

They'll be nasty by half way through season when those 2 come back.

Adams is done for the year

Thankyoi for clarifying. I thought I'd heard a commentator during their OKC game the other night say he'd be back half way through the season. Obviously not!
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #32 on: November 02, 2023, 07:18:09 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166

I will crap on Smart any chance I can get.  It's well known I hated that pick and have not liked his game from the beginning.  We needed size in that draft and Randle was sitting right there for us.
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #33 on: November 02, 2023, 09:55:29 AM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 718
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I do not have any ill will toward smart but I am glad he is not on the Celtics. I think this team functions so much better without him.

« Reply #34 on: November 02, 2023, 09:56:52 AM »

Offline dannyboy35

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 105
   I always imagined he’s a nice fellow, loyal person but maybe you have to keep him happy and tip toe around him a little too much. I don’t think he was ever that good of a player to be enabled the way he was here by the Boston sports fan. Too much power. That dude made me nervous every game.
  Doesn’t everyone feel calmer now when it’s White, Jrue and Tatum with the ball starting the last possession and that ball can’t ever go to Marcus Smart. Brings a tear to my eye.

« Reply #35 on: November 02, 2023, 10:01:20 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 487
Smart really had a Marcus type game yesterday.  1-7 from 3.  These are the types of games that frustrated a lot of us.  I am curious how he will handle being on such a bad team until Morant comes back.  He's been on a winner for so long this has to be hard.  I imagine in 4-5 games if they continue to lose there will be a Marcus Smart type locker room blowup.  I love Marcus but man I really love Jrue.

« Reply #36 on: November 02, 2023, 10:11:20 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993
   I always imagined he’s a nice fellow, loyal person but maybe you have to keep him happy and tip toe around him a little too much. I don’t think he was ever that good of a player to be enabled the way he was here by the Boston sports fan. Too much power. That dude made me nervous every game.
  Doesn’t everyone feel calmer now when it’s White, Jrue and Tatum with the ball starting the last possession and that ball can’t ever go to Marcus Smart. Brings a tear to my eye.

That may be, but if we’re down 2 and the other team has the ball, I’m going to long for Smart’s magic that somehow gives us a chance where there should be none.

« Reply #37 on: November 02, 2023, 10:21:49 AM »

Offline No Nickname

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 86

That may be, but if we’re down 2 and the other team has the ball, I’m going to long for Smart’s magic that somehow gives us a chance where there should be none.

One of the best ever at drawing a charge, an off-ball foul, poking the ball away, diving on the floor, making an insane pass (yes, he also would have brainfart stupid passes and brainfart stupid fouls late into the shotclock).

But you're right.

I remember a game against Philly a few years ago when we were down 1-2 points.  Philly was inbounding in the backcourt on the sideline with only 0.3 secs left.

Smart defended Embiid, and got his hip under Embiid.  Philly lobbed it up to Embiid and Smart pushed him off with his thigh, Smart let the ball fall into his hands, and then turned and launched a 3/4 length shot that either went in or hit the rim (my memory fails me here).

The replay showed the ball still in his hand, maybe only on his fingertips, right as the buzzer light went off.

But to even have a chance at that play?  In that situation?  To win or tie the game?

That was the beauty of Marcus Smart.  He never gave up until the final horn.  And he had amazing athleticism and smarts.

« Reply #38 on: November 02, 2023, 10:23:44 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767

I'm not trying to crap on him. He's still a good player on a contending team.

But after watching him for so long, I can't help but be happy he's not on the Cs.

« Reply #39 on: November 02, 2023, 10:25:21 AM »

Online footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1835

But after watching him for so long, I can't help but be happy he's not on the Cs.

Are Celtics 4-0 if we had Smart instead of Holliday?

« Reply #40 on: November 02, 2023, 10:43:07 AM »

Offline Rikibellevie

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 282
I will Always defend Smart and I am proud to be a stitupid Smartboy fan. I will Always defend him as he Always defend us and incarnate our franchise. No need to recall his good basketball qualites and his qualities as a men. He Always assumed everything on the team, good or Bad times, Nevers hide himself. he had his limitations and now WE have Jrue I am ok with the trade, I was juste wory about playmaking. Now about injury. I really hope he will finish his career here maybe for the last runs of thé Jays or Tatum.

I don t get people taking the first occasion to hit him,he had a perfect attitude with us. And love our team, franchise and fans. He and Paul Pierce are the only players that I Still hardly support After they leave. I would do thé same with Tatum, not with Brown (who is much more responsable of last PO fail and is not that much in thé criticism of some)

Again viva Smart, good Luck, it is juste 5 game (where hé was good) and I Hope they will be back on track. This team is depleted and hurt with a bad atmosphere. Morant, Adams, Clarke, Jones and Aldama out would be a problem for all the teams.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 10:52:35 AM by Rikibellevie »

« Reply #41 on: November 02, 2023, 11:37:34 AM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2512

Are Celtics 4-0 if we had Smart instead of Holliday?

No. We would have blown one i5f those first couple games. I love Smart but it was time for the other guys to find their game and their voice. His big personality cast a long shadow on the rest of the team.

The team is playing with a joy I've never seen before right now. They look eager to pass the ball. With Smart handling the ball it seemed much more mechanical. And he had the terrible tendency to slow the ball down whenever we'd get a lead. It was almost like self-sabotage.

I wish him well, he will always have a special place in Celtics fans' hearts. But we needed a shake-up and a more steady presence handling the ball.

« Reply #42 on: November 02, 2023, 03:54:29 PM »

Online Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1478
Marcus is averaging 4TO’s per game. Tied with Luka for 6th most in the NBA. Jrue Holiday is averaging 1.3TO’s per game. #156 in the league.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #43 on: November 03, 2023, 06:24:10 PM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
I don't really get the Smart hate tbh. He's not the issue with MEM, that team has a lot of other issues. Morant is also proving to be a world class moron, and then you have Adams needing season-ending surgery right before the season begins. That roster isn't exactly built well currently.

I actually wonder if Smart could get traded again especially if MEM remains terrible.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #44 on: November 03, 2023, 06:26:59 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 767
I don't really get the Smart hate tbh. He's not the issue with MEM, that team has a lot of other issues. Morant is also proving to be a world class moron, and then you have Adams needing season-ending surgery right before the season begins. That roster isn't exactly built well currently.

I actually wonder if Smart could get traded again especially if MEM remains terrible.

Except without Adams and Morant last year, and with Jones as their PG, they were a lot better.

Again, not Smart hate. Just Smart relief.