Author Topic: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start  (Read 8416 times)

Re: Smart leading Grizz to 0 and 4 start
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2023, 04:58:40 PM »

Offline 86MaxwellSmart

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 381
Agreed, for every one good thing he did, there were two bad things.

What a sad way to remember Marcus Smart. He did twice as many bad things as good things?

Ja Morant is by far their best player. Jaren Jackson is a good player, as is Desmond Bane. They need Morant to be a good team.

Ok, Ok...maybe one good thing one bad thing....Loved him as a person, but he did a lot of Bonehead things and a lot of Amazing things too.
Larry Bird was Greater than you think.

« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2023, 05:16:00 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 561

What a sad way to remember Marcus Smart. He did twice as many bad things as good things?

Ja Morant is by far their best player. Jaren Jackson is a good player, as is Desmond Bane. They need Morant to be a good team.
Morant is way overrated.  They didn't have a problem winning games the previous year 2 seasons when Morant was out. 

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2023, 05:44:28 PM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 487
Marcus will always be one of my favorite celtics just because of how much he loved the city of Boston and its fans.  I was not however a super fan who couldn't see how flawed a player he is.  If Marcus could reign in Marcus he'd be a much more efficient player.  He seems to view himself as a 3pt shooter when he's better in the paint.  I love Marcus.  He's a good player but the celtics team is better with Jrue and Zinger and for my by a mile.

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2023, 08:48:49 PM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

I Said for many years don't trade Smart.  I wanted to see how good he was going to be when he peaked. I'm fairly confident we did see him peak. For sure defensively.

And his confidence on offense was just to high for his skillset, taking away shots from Tatum and Brown in crunch time is a deal breaker for me.

To quote Ainge on Antoine Walker, "He had too much of a hold on the franchise " that's essentially how I felt about Marcus.

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2023, 09:21:37 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1397

I Said for many years don't trade Smart.  I wanted to see how good he was going to be when he peaked. I'm fairly confident we did see him peak. For sure defensively.

And his confidence on offense was just to high for his skillset, taking away shots from Tatum and Brown in crunch time is a deal breaker for me.

To quote Ainge on Antoine Walker, "He had too much of a hold on the franchise " that's essentially how I felt about Marcus.

This is a great quote and very fair. Great post. On the flip side blaming smart for Memphis struggling right now is not really great and kind of weird for a guy that loved playing for the Celtics. As others have said, they have no frontcourt right now. Smart can’t change that even if he plays best basketball of his career.

« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2023, 08:23:24 AM »

Offline KG Living Legend

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1136

This is a great quote and very fair. Great post. On the flip side blaming smart for Memphis struggling right now is not really great and kind of weird for a guy that loved playing for the Celtics. As others have said, they have no frontcourt right now. Smart can’t change that even if he plays best basketball of his career.

I agree with that.  I'm really busting Smarts chops, for causing me so much pain and suffering over the years. They are certainly short staffed right now.

« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2023, 09:14:47 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
I really don't understand why Memphis traded for Smart.  Morant has to have the ball in his hands to be effective.  When Morant comes back, how does Smart fit in?
As I've said before, I'd trade Morant while his stock is still high.   

« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2023, 10:29:52 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I really don't understand why Memphis traded for Smart.  Morant has to have the ball in his hands to be effective.  When Morant comes back, how does Smart fit in?

His stock as at an all time low. Who would want him for fair market value at this point?
ok fine

« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2023, 10:40:54 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 993

His stock as at an all time low. Who would want him for fair market value at this point?

I’d say that whatever they can get for him is fair market value.  Maybe not equivalent to his talent, but he’s in the fast lane for an even lengthier suspension in the future, and there are durability concerns to boot.  His stock has dropped from where it was a year or so ago, but there’s absolutely no guarantee it rebounds any time soon.

« Reply #24 on: November 01, 2023, 11:36:37 AM »

Offline BudweiserCeltic

• Dennis Johnson
  • Tommy Points: 1820
Why are you guys crapping on Marcus Smart? He's had a good start of the season.

« Reply #25 on: November 01, 2023, 12:52:01 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson

I’d say that whatever they can get for him is fair market value.  Maybe not equivalent to his talent, but he’s in the fast lane for an even lengthier suspension in the future, and there are durability concerns to boot.  His stock has dropped from where it was a year or so ago, but there’s absolutely no guarantee it rebounds any time soon.
He's still highly rated.  ESPN ranked him #35.  I'd be concerned about him screwing up again and sinking even further.  Have him comeback from suspension and put up some big numbers.  Some idiots will start talking again about him being a top 10 player.  Then trade him during the offseason. 

« Reply #26 on: November 01, 2023, 05:20:25 PM »

Offline ETNCeltics

• NCE
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 307

That's absurd.

« Reply #27 on: November 01, 2023, 06:35:40 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Not his fault. He's a role player and they're missing Adams and Morant + others.

They'll be nasty by half way through season when those 2 come back.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2023, 12:11:02 AM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 744
Not his fault. He's a role player and they're missing Adams and Morant + others.

They'll be nasty by half way through season when those 2 come back.

Adams is done for the year

« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2023, 03:01:58 AM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 618
Why are you guys crapping on Marcus Smart? He's had a good start of the season.

Only bright spot on that team. Bane and JJJ have been awful.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.