Author Topic: Celtics Regular Season News  (Read 138230 times)

gift and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Celtics Regular Season News
« Reply #180 on: December 15, 2023, 10:07:33 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1489
C’s have the best record in the NBA.  8)
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #181 on: December 16, 2023, 12:47:44 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Wasn't sure where to put this but I wanted to see how various players performed in terms of +/- with and without Tatum.  Tatum is clearly the best player.  How much is he making other players better, who makes Tatum the best (note, this excludes the last game vs. ORL)?

Brown + Tatum         +92/550 min
Brown - Tatum          +15/200 min

White + Tatum         +165/515 min
White - Tatum           +22/140 min

Prozing + Tatum      +107/440 min
Porzing - Tatum          +5/105 min

Holiday + Tatum      +136/629 min
Holiday - Tatum         +10/102 min

Horford + Tatum        +78/420 min
Horford - Tatum         +25/130 min

My overall take away from this is that Tatum is clearly making everybody better, but not all the same.  Everyone has more minutes with Tatum than without so you could normalize these per36 or per100 poss., and if you did that, only Horford would come out about the same with and without Tatum.  It is also of note that Brown plays the most without Tatum, which makes sense.  You want the other primary scorer on the floor when Tatum is out.

If you look at this the other way, what player makes Tatum the best, that is White.  Tatum is +175 overall and +165 with White.  Tatum achieves most of his positive +/- when he is on the court with White.  Holiday is the next best Tatum facilitator (+136 Tatum with Holiday).  Neither is surprising, that the better ballhandlers are the ones that allow Tatum to be at his best.  There is some overlap as Tatum, White, and Holiday are all on the court fairly often.  Maybe I will try to filter that out some other time.

« Reply #182 on: December 16, 2023, 06:15:17 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Good…

Brian Robb: Celtics will have Al Horford and Kristaps Porzingis back Sunday vs. Magic. Luke Kornet remains out and Dalano Banton is questionable – via Twitter BrianTRobb
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #183 on: December 18, 2023, 06:07:22 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
The Celtics so far:

- Best record in the league
- Still undefeated at home (14–0)
- Best record against above .500 teams (14-4)
- Have had the hardest Strength of Schedule
- Beaten Milwaukee
- Beaten Philadelphia twice
- Beaten Orlando twice

———

Source: Celtics Junkies
5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #184 on: December 19, 2023, 10:08:55 AM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Brown excels in transition, where he scores 7.7 points per game, the third-highest average in the NBA, according to Synergy Sports. It’s no surprise he would like to run and gun more, but that mindset can sometimes clash with the tempo of some of his teammates, including Jayson Tatum. Marcus Smart used to regularly hit Brown with backdoor passes early in the shot clock, but some of those opportunities have dried up with Smart now in Memphis. The Celtics have still set up Brown for some of those easy buckets, but not as many as he used to get that way. With Kristaps Porziņģis and Jrue Holiday on the roster, the Boston players have needed to get used to the new mix. Joe Mazzulla said he believes they have recently been “playing fast, but we’re playing with poise, which is important.” – via Jay King @ The Athletic

Interesting take.  I am not sure I buy the Marcus Smart factor in this.  Brown's shot attempts are down from 20.6 last season to 18.3 so far this season.  I don't think that is because Marcus Smart isn't here anymore.  Porzingis getting shots is probably the biggest factor.  Tatum's shots are down too.  White's shots are up a little.

As far as having to get used to a new mix, of course.  The biggest change is Porzingis though, and that is a change for the better.  Having a big with that kind of scoring skill changes everything, as it should.

I do think it is fair to say that Brown is at his best "playing fast".  Getting out on the break.  Slashing to the hoop.  But that doesn't take anything away from any other players.  I really don't understand what Jay King is trying to say here.

« Reply #185 on: December 19, 2023, 11:54:31 AM »

Offline tonydelk

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 493
Brown excels in transition, where he scores 7.7 points per game, the third-highest average in the NBA, according to Synergy Sports. It’s no surprise he would like to run and gun more, but that mindset can sometimes clash with the tempo of some of his teammates, including Jayson Tatum. Marcus Smart used to regularly hit Brown with backdoor passes early in the shot clock, but some of those opportunities have dried up with Smart now in Memphis. The Celtics have still set up Brown for some of those easy buckets, but not as many as he used to get that way. With Kristaps Porziņģis and Jrue Holiday on the roster, the Boston players have needed to get used to the new mix. Joe Mazzulla said he believes they have recently been “playing fast, but we’re playing with poise, which is important.” – via Jay King @ The Athletic

Interesting take.  I am not sure I buy the Marcus Smart factor in this.  Brown's shot attempts are down from 20.6 last season to 18.3 so far this season.  I don't think that is because Marcus Smart isn't here anymore.  Porzingis getting shots is probably the biggest factor.  Tatum's shots are down too.  White's shots are up a little.

As far as having to get used to a new mix, of course.  The biggest change is Porzingis though, and that is a change for the better.  Having a big with that kind of scoring skill changes everything, as it should.

I do think it is fair to say that Brown is at his best "playing fast".  Getting out on the break.  Slashing to the hoop.  But that doesn't take anything away from any other players.  I really don't understand what Jay King is trying to say here.

Makes sense that Brown excels more playing fast.  It's his strength over opponents.  Attack before they can get set.  He struggles more attacking in the half court which is most likely when a lot of his turnovers happen.  Teams can cheat off of their man because they know Brown can get tunnel vision when he has that score first mentality.  If he played on a team like the Pacers or Kings he'd lead the league in transition points.  Brown is a beast in Transition.

« Reply #186 on: December 19, 2023, 12:20:22 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708
Per Jay King:

Kristaps Porzingis (left calf strain management) is listed as questionable for tomorrow’s game at Golden State. Yesterday, Porzingis said he and the staff “just started talking about” whether he would play on both legs of the back-to-back.

“We don't have the answer yet. But they know my stance: I want to play in every game they allow me. But of course, they want to be smart with me and my health. Make sure I'm here for the long picture."

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/1736907101459366257?t=BPOCzlMnie9QX3i9mnMaQw

We knew this was probably coming at some point with KP.  Hopefully we're able to manage it effectively. 

Perhaps this will be a situation where we stagger KP and Al on back-to-backs - Al plays the front end and KP plays the back end or something like that. 

« Reply #187 on: December 19, 2023, 01:07:19 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
Per Jay King:

Kristaps Porzingis (left calf strain management) is listed as questionable for tomorrow’s game at Golden State. Yesterday, Porzingis said he and the staff “just started talking about” whether he would play on both legs of the back-to-back.

“We don't have the answer yet. But they know my stance: I want to play in every game they allow me. But of course, they want to be smart with me and my health. Make sure I'm here for the long picture."

https://twitter.com/byjayking/status/1736907101459366257?t=BPOCzlMnie9QX3i9mnMaQw

We knew this was probably coming at some point with KP.  Hopefully we're able to manage it effectively. 

Perhaps this will be a situation where we stagger KP and Al on back-to-backs - Al plays the front end and KP plays the back end or something like that.
Its pretty funny because right after KP went down with his injury I was thinking "they should rest him/al one game of back to backs" but thought they probably wouldn't becasue he probably wouldn't want to.

Good to see he's at least open to it. 

Obviously they are a far more dangerous team with KP, but they have enough talent to win these regular seaosn games without him.

« Reply #188 on: December 21, 2023, 09:05:11 AM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Gary Washburn: Mazzulla said Tatum is day to day with his sprained ankle. Wouldn’t project a potential return date. #Celtics play the #Clippers on Saturday. – via Twitter GwashburnGlobe

« Reply #189 on: December 21, 2023, 09:42:12 AM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1648
  • What a Pub Should Be
Adam Taylor
@AdamTaylorNBA
·
1h
Jaylen Brown is having a strong December.

- 24.3 points per game
- 4.6 RPG
- 4 APG
- 1.1 STLS
- 1 BLK
- 2.3 TOV
- 53.6 FG% (19 attempts per game)
- 30.4 3P% (5.1 attempts per game)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #190 on: December 21, 2023, 09:52:00 AM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Gary Washburn: Mazzulla said Tatum is day to day with his sprained ankle. Wouldn’t project a potential return date. #Celtics play the #Clippers on Saturday. – via Twitter GwashburnGlobe

Rolled ankles could take at least 2 weeks to get back at 100% huh  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #191 on: December 21, 2023, 01:04:48 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
Last 10 Celtics game, +/- of the top eight rotation players:

White (10gp): +90
Brown (10gp): +88
Hauser (10gp): +88
Horford (8gp): +68
Holiday (10gp): +62
Tatum (9gp): +39
Porzingis (5gp): +35
Pritchard (10gp): +22

Team: +102

« Reply #192 on: December 21, 2023, 01:07:41 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo

Maybe he misses the Clippers game, but I'm very skeptical he's missing the Christmas game. The guy is a psycho, he just always plays. Its his best ability in some ways.

But he needs to be healthy enough to actually help, GSW game Tatum who didn't seem to want to drive on that bad ankle isn't helping the C's.

« Reply #193 on: December 21, 2023, 01:14:25 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3063
  • On To Banner 18!

I'd be perfectly fine if we don't see him until January.

It's all about April and beyond. Stay healthy but also stay as fresh as possible. No need for anyone to feel "fatigued" or "worn down" by April.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #194 on: December 21, 2023, 05:27:55 PM »

Online DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769

I'd be perfectly fine if we don't see him until January.

It's all about April and beyond. Stay healthy but also stay as fresh as possible. No need for anyone to feel "fatigued" or "worn down" by April.

!!!! I'm taking my son to a game in Boston a week from today. I hope he's back!