Author Topic: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs  (Read 663073 times)

Re: 2024 NBA Season and Playoffs
« Reply #8340 on: May 16, 2024, 04:03:51 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
In hindsight, did Dallas have the best trade deadline?

They are clearly the team that realized the most improvement in won/loss record.  I thought they made good trades.  Addition by Addition and Addition by Subtraction.  But the biggest issue was fixing their offseason mistakes of signing Grant and trading for Richaun Holmes.

Gafford and PJ Washington are not big impact players.  If either went to BOS or DEN or another good team, they would hardly play, certainly not start.  But in comparison to Grant and Holmes, they were major improvements.

I am still not sure how good DAL is.  LAC didn't have Kahwi.  In this series, I am not sure if DAL is playing well or if OKC is just playing bad.  I have my doubts that DAL is going to hold up and contend for the finals, but we shall see.  They have gotten hot at the right time.

« Reply #8341 on: May 16, 2024, 04:11:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2438
There is already a report out there that Jarrett Allen refused a cortisone shot that would have gotten him back on the floor. Now, I am no one to tell someone else how the treat their body. That said, the report says that other players were surprised that he wouldn't do it as, in the big scale of things, cortisone shots are very routine and safe and these were must win games in the playoffs.

A comment from Cavs SBNation site.

« Reply #8342 on: May 16, 2024, 04:46:14 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1399

They are clearly the team that realized the most improvement in won/loss record.  I thought they made good trades.  Addition by Addition and Addition by Subtraction.  But the biggest issue was fixing their offseason mistakes of signing Grant and trading for Richaun Holmes.

Gafford and PJ Washington are not big impact players.  If either went to BOS or DEN or another good team, they would hardly play, certainly not start.  But in comparison to Grant and Holmes, they were major improvements.

I am still not sure how good DAL is.  LAC didn't have Kahwi.  In this series, I am not sure if DAL is playing well or if OKC is just playing bad.  I have my doubts that DAL is going to hold up and contend for the finals, but we shall see.  They have gotten hot at the right time.

i think Washinton and Gafford are a bit underrated cause they were rotting away on a dysfunctional franchise. They are only 25 and seem to have bought in a bit more on defense after joining Dallas. I know people will hate me for saying this but there is good chance both are better than Horford starting next season. 

« Reply #8343 on: May 16, 2024, 04:49:44 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 578
Dallas' big strength is their rim protection. Between Gafford and lively they 48 minutes of really solid rim protection per game, and those guys are also good lob targets. They've paired that with PJ Washington would has been a really solid wing 3+D option from them (something I did not see coming).

They are a solid team with a solid game plan. Not sure they can beat Denver but they've been impressive.

« Reply #8344 on: May 16, 2024, 06:00:32 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

i think Washinton and Gafford are a bit underrated cause they were rotting away on a dysfunctional franchise. They are only 25 and seem to have bought in a bit more on defense after joining Dallas. I know people will hate me for saying this but there is good chance both are better than Horford starting next season.

No hate, but maybe disagreement.

Even if Horford declines and they get better, Horford isn't even a starter on the Celtics now if we are full strength, so that was exactly one of my points.  These guys made DAL better, but they would not have had nearly the impact if they joined other teams.

PJ Washington is a career 35% from 3.  He was only 31% on DAL in 29 regular season games.  He is about 41% so far in the playoffs in 11 games.  I am sure he is getting better looks on DAL than he was on CHA, but that is a pretty significant jump from regular season to playoffs.  In the playoffs, teams tend to focus more on stopping the best player, giving the lesser players more opportunity.  We'll see if he can keep it up.

As to Gafford, he is doing pretty much what he has done his whole career.  Classic blue collar big.  Not that much different than Tillman if you compare career box score stats.  But he is long and defends well.  Top heavy teams like DAL need players like him.  On the Celtics, he is certainly not a starter.  He would probably play ahead of Kornet, but I thought that would be the case for Tillman.  He would be a useful player, but not an impactful player.

« Reply #8345 on: May 16, 2024, 06:45:02 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1565
I'd probably still put Siakam as a bigger acquisition than Dallas and the moves the Knicks made were great but derailed by injury. Of course, many of those trades were not at the deadline so are they deadline moves?
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #8346 on: May 16, 2024, 07:05:20 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Why are Indiana not playing?

Only 1 game today. Only 1 game tomorrow. Only 1 game Saturday.

Are they are drawing this out for eyeballs? Looks like it.

« Reply #8347 on: May 16, 2024, 07:20:59 PM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 562

Why are you complaining about more time for KP to heal up?

« Reply #8348 on: May 16, 2024, 07:53:04 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2579

Why are you complaining about more time for KP to heal up?

If KP isn’t playing games 1 or 2, the results of the remaining series’ are irrelevant.  Game 3 is on the same day regardless.

« Reply #8349 on: May 16, 2024, 07:56:05 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Mike Conley is going to play today.

I'm pulling for a Minny a win to force a Game 7. Conley was missed in Gm 5. He can make the difference.

« Reply #8350 on: May 16, 2024, 08:11:43 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
PJ Washington is a career 35% from 3. He was only 31% on DAL in 29 regular season games.  He is about 41% so far in the playoffs in 11 games. 

I am sure he is getting better looks on DAL than he was on CHA, but that is a pretty significant jump from regular season to playoffs.  In the playoffs, teams tend to focus more on stopping the best player, giving the lesser players more opportunity.  We'll see if he can keep it up.

PJ Washington was shooting 31% on 5 attempts per game in round one against the Clippers as well. Right in line with his regular season numbers with Dallas.

It is only the last few games in the 2nd round against OKC that he got on a hot streak. He is shooting almost 48% on just under 9 attempts per game.

It won't last.

« Reply #8351 on: May 16, 2024, 08:36:19 PM »

Offline MattyIce

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 744

cause the Indiana Fever have a game that was already scheduled

« Reply #8352 on: May 16, 2024, 08:37:12 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
Let’s gooo Wolves
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8353 on: May 16, 2024, 08:49:22 PM »

Offline j804

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 3071
  • BLOOD SWEAT & TEARS
If Wolves can’t hit their open threes they are in for a long night
"7ft PG. Rondo leaves and GUESS WHAT? We got a BIGGER point guard!"-Tommy on Olynyk

« Reply #8354 on: May 16, 2024, 08:54:52 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2998
Big response by Minny. Got the crowd in it now.