Author Topic: Patriots 2023 Season  (Read 188131 times)

Re: Patriots 2023 Season
« Reply #105 on: August 20, 2023, 07:33:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
The O-line situation is far from ideal. Reiff is not starter material, David Andrews is getting older, and Trent Brown just can't stay on the field.

I'm a big fan of Onwenu, and think Strange is solid (just a bit penalty-prone). 2/5 is not good...

I do like the defence though. Lots of strong talent up near the line there in guys like Judon, Barmore, Uche & Guy. Hope Judon & Uche can combine for 30 sacks this season

The obvious thing to do is put Onwenu back in RT, move Reiff to guard, and roll with that O-Line. But idk why they keep Onwenu at guard and neglect the tackle position. Onwenu has been awesome at guard but he can play tackle and has played there before (was drafted for that position too). That's certainly better than playing musical chairs and just praying Sow or McDermott stick at RT.

Brown-Strange-Andrews-Reiff-Onwenu is really good. Mafi, McDermott and Sow for depth is fine. McDermott showed last year he can definitely be a useful rotational piece, just not a true starter IMO. I think Sow has great potential and shows flashes, but again, it's unfair to put a rookie in that position where he has to move from guard to tackle and suddenly become a true starter at that position immediately.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #106 on: August 20, 2023, 10:18:26 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
The O-line situation is far from ideal. Reiff is not starter material, David Andrews is getting older, and Trent Brown just can't stay on the field.

I'm a big fan of Onwenu, and think Strange is solid (just a bit penalty-prone). 2/5 is not good...

I do like the defence though. Lots of strong talent up near the line there in guys like Judon, Barmore, Uche & Guy. Hope Judon & Uche can combine for 30 sacks this season

The obvious thing to do is put Onwenu back in RT, move Reiff to guard, and roll with that O-Line. But idk why they keep Onwenu at guard and neglect the tackle position. Onwenu has been awesome at guard but he can play tackle and has played there before (was drafted for that position too). That's certainly better than playing musical chairs and just praying Sow or McDermott stick at RT.

Brown-Strange-Andrews-Reiff-Onwenu is really good. Mafi, McDermott and Sow for depth is fine. McDermott showed last year he can definitely be a useful rotational piece, just not a true starter IMO. I think Sow has great potential and shows flashes, but again, it's unfair to put a rookie in that position where he has to move from guard to tackle and suddenly become a true starter at that position immediately.
I agree - Onwenu has a bunch of versatility and can line up anywhere along the line. Reiff at his age would definitely suit IOL better.

Hopefully they figure it out
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: August 22, 2023, 03:15:35 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1488
Someone seems happy about Patricia’s departure… :laugh:

It’s super motivating if you funnel it in the right way. Nobody was happy with that, especially me. I feel like I could have done a lot of things better,” Jones told Sports Illustrated’s Albert Breer of moving on from last year. “Like I said with Coach O’Brien, I’m just identifying those areas on the field, off the field, whatever it is, to try and just become a full player and franchise quarterback. That comes from working every day from top to bottom and just trying to put my best foot forward, and having fun while doing it.

“I think that’s a big thing for me, keeping it loose and going out there and slinging it. Going back to the Alabama Mac.”

So what exactly is “Alabama Mac”?

“When I’m in the right headspace and I can go out there and let it fly and not think too much and go play football,” Jones explained. “That’s what it’s all about for me, play football with my teammates and enjoy one another.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #108 on: August 22, 2023, 06:16:50 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
One thing I’m watching for is an interview in which the player doesn’t say they are  ‘super’ something. At first I thought it showed super-enthusiasm, I am now starting to find it super-annoying.

« Reply #109 on: August 22, 2023, 06:30:45 PM »

Online Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1647
  • What a Pub Should Be
One thing I’m watching for is an interview in which the player doesn’t say they are  ‘super’ something. At first I thought it showed super-enthusiasm, I am now starting to find it super-annoying.

It's training camp.  Stuff like that and "I'm in the best shape of my life" are the norm this time of year!  ;)

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #110 on: August 23, 2023, 02:44:36 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

It's training camp.  Stuff like that and "I'm in the best shape of my life" are the norm this time of year!  ;)
Waiting for the "gained 15lbs of muscle" call too.

Think Avery Bradley gained 10-15lbs of muscle every offseason for 4 years straight
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #111 on: August 23, 2023, 07:09:52 AM »

Offline A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495

I agree - Onwenu has a bunch of versatility and can line up anywhere along the line. Reiff at his age would definitely suit IOL better.

Hopefully they figure it out
Do you think it is a price thing? Good Guards are a lot easier on the salary cap than good tackles are. He is due for free agency, and this could be a positional leverage situation.
#JKJB

« Reply #112 on: August 23, 2023, 08:44:23 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

I suspect that Belichick is going to be annoyed by these comments.  I think it is just Mac being Mac but I don't think he is helping his situation in general when he talks.

« Reply #113 on: August 23, 2023, 11:09:59 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

I suspect that Belichick is going to be annoyed by these comments.  I think it is just Mac being Mac but I don't think he is helping his situation in general when he talks.
I suspect Bill is annoyed that the sun rises in the east.  He just seems like literally EVERYTHING annoys him.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #114 on: August 23, 2023, 02:52:58 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324

I suspect Bill is annoyed that the sun rises in the east.  He just seems like literally EVERYTHING annoys him.

Yup. He's a meticulous and miserable prick. I wouldn't trade my life for his. I also wouldn't trade him or the 20 year experience. I'm not sure that sustained level of dominance will ever be matched. KC would have to be relevant with Mahomes for another 15 years while winning 4 more Super Bowls.

« Reply #115 on: August 23, 2023, 05:21:52 PM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

What's the NFL's equivalent of '15 pounds of muscle' for things you hear every year?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #116 on: August 25, 2023, 09:07:42 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
Riley Reiff is hurt. Spent a few mins In the blue tent and is now headed to the locker room. Smh…
« Last Edit: August 25, 2023, 09:19:24 PM by Goldstar88 »
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #117 on: August 25, 2023, 10:15:37 PM »

Online green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324
Riley Reiff is hurt. Spent a few mins In the blue tent and is now headed to the locker room. Smh…

Yuck. This is the year that they need to dink and dunk again. Run shotgun with Zeke blocking and short outs to Parker, Hunter Henry, Zeke, Juju, Bourne, Gesicki (when healthy). Run a 2 minute offense and try to catch opposing defenses off guard. Sub in Rhamondre, Thornton, Ty Montgomery and Boutte on the fly. They can use quantity over quality like the Patriots used to do 20 years ago if Bill O'brien and his coaches do what they are capable of doing. Mac and O'brien dinking and dunking.

« Reply #118 on: August 27, 2023, 02:38:03 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
It’s a start I suppose…

@RapSheet
Trade: The #Patriots have traded RB Pierre Strong Jr to the #Browns in exchange for OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr., sources say.

« Reply #119 on: August 27, 2023, 02:45:36 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
It’s a start I suppose…

@RapSheet
Trade: The #Patriots have traded RB Pierre Strong Jr to the #Browns in exchange for OT Tyrone Wheatley Jr., sources say.

Might be better off with his dad.

But at least it’s an o-line move. They still need at least another legit starter.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2023, 02:53:59 PM by Neurotic Guy »