Author Topic: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension  (Read 17528 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown Agrees to extension
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2023, 11:55:42 AM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 550
Can people define "overpayment" or "worth it"?  Does anybody disagree that this is market value?

I guess people can argue that the market is overpriced, but since the market is guaranteed approximately 10% growth for at least a half-decade -- which outpaces JB's annual raises -- this deal only gets better compared to the market over time.
It's an overpayment if you pay the price and still can't win a title with him. To me the guys at the top level need to be guys who automatically make your team a title contender.  He doesn't do that. Put him on Detroit and are they a threat to win a conference title at least?  I don't think so.

Isn't that true only if the equivalent salary could be used differently in a manner that made it more likely we'd win a championship?  And not just theoretically, but actually?
Not saying they shouldn't have done the deal. I think they had little choice. But I do think that you can (eventually) move Jaylen and bring back enough to give you a better chance of winning a title than they currently have.

« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2023, 11:58:04 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2984
I knew it ….highest paid  8) :D

Until Tatum backs his Brinks truck up to Wyc s bank .  8)

« Reply #32 on: July 25, 2023, 11:59:03 AM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
Can people define "overpayment" or "worth it"?  Does anybody disagree that this is market value?

I guess people can argue that the market is overpriced, but since the market is guaranteed approximately 10% growth for at least a half-decade -- which outpaces JB's annual raises -- this deal only gets better compared to the market over time.
It's an overpayment if you pay the price and still can't win a title with him. To me the guys at the top level need to be guys who automatically make your team a title contender.  He doesn't do that. Put him on Detroit and are they a threat to win a conference title at least?  I don't think so.

but we are title contenders with brown.

As currently constituted I'm not so sure we are.

i'd love to hear how we aren't when we made the game 7 of the ECF last year and the finals the year before.

Marcus smart/Grant williams two roleplayers  is the big difference here?
The team as currently constituted won't be able to stop good teams from scoring when they need to.

« Reply #33 on: July 25, 2023, 12:04:48 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 385

but we are title contenders with brown.

As currently constituted I'm not so sure we are.

i'd love to hear how we aren't when we made the game 7 of the ECF last year and the finals the year before.

Marcus smart/Grant williams two roleplayers  is the big difference here?
The team as currently constituted won't be able to stop good teams from scoring when they need to.

Because of losing smart and grant Williams?

I don't think they had that big of an effect on defense.

Keep in mind White and Horford are taking their roles

« Reply #34 on: July 25, 2023, 12:07:23 PM »

Online A Future of Stevens

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 495
Heck yeah Celtics! Let's goooooo!!!
#JKJB

« Reply #35 on: July 25, 2023, 12:08:56 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
I knew it ….highest paid  8) :D

Until Tatum backs his Brinks truck up to Wyc s bank .  8)

And then Luka will take his even larger truck to Cuban’s vault the following year, and so on.

« Reply #36 on: July 25, 2023, 12:09:59 PM »

Online Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708
Crazy how much player salaries have exploded.  When do we hit $100M per year for somebody?  Given how quickly we're rising, it may not actually be that long. 

Paying a #2 option $60M per year isn't ideal but what choice do we have, realistically?  Just hope it's worth it in the end. 

« Reply #37 on: July 25, 2023, 12:13:59 PM »

Offline trickybilly

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 622
So, does he plan to keep working on his handle? Or is that, like, it.
"Gimme the ball, gimme the ball". Freddy Quimby, 1994.

« Reply #38 on: July 25, 2023, 12:14:22 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890

As compared to who?  What top teams have the defense to stop other top teams?  Who is going to be able to stop us?

If your concern is that Porzingis is going to soften our defense (I don't think he will), we can put out:

White
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Williams

Probably the best defensive line up of any top team.  I think we have plenty of defense to win a title.

« Reply #39 on: July 25, 2023, 12:16:46 PM »

Offline RPGenerate

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 468
It looks like way too much, but that's the price you pay for a young star. It'll feel better when other similarly skilled/ less skilled players start getting ungodly amounts of money as well.
2023 No Top 75 Fantasy Draft Los Angeles Clippers
PG: Dennis Johnson / Jo Jo White / Stephon Marbury
SG: Sidney Moncrief / World B. Free
SF: Chris Mullin / Ron Artest
PF: Detlef Schrempf / Tom Chambers / Buck Williams
C: Ben Wallace / Andrew Bynum

« Reply #40 on: July 25, 2023, 12:17:21 PM »

Online Silas

• 2020 CelticsStrong Draft Guru
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1869

As compared to who?  What top teams have the defense to stop other top teams?  Who is going to be able to stop us?

If your concern is that Porzingis is going to soften our defense (I don't think he will), we can put out:

White
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Williams

Probably the best defensive line up of any top team.  I think we have plenty of defense to win a title.

and offense!
I've lived through some terrible things in my life, some of which actually happened.   -  Mark Twain

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2023, 12:20:14 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
BREAKING: Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown has agreed to a five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension with the franchise, per sources. This is the richest deal in NBA history, negotiated by agent Jason Glushon.

Fully guaranteed, with a trade kicker. No player option.

I did not want the trade kicker. Another factor that will knock his trade value moving forward on top of his already massive salary.

« Reply #42 on: July 25, 2023, 12:25:44 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Shams Charania
@ShamsCharania
BREAKING: Boston Celtics star Jaylen Brown has agreed to a five-year, $304 million supermax contract extension with the franchise, per sources. This is the richest deal in NBA history, negotiated by agent Jason Glushon.

Fully guaranteed, with a trade kicker. No player option.

I did not want the trade kicker. Another factor that will knock his trade value moving forward on top of his already massive salary.

I am sure others will chime in on this but I thought that even though there is a kicker, his salary can't kick above 35% of the cap in any case anyway, so a trade kicker may not mean that much.  Is that correct?

« Reply #43 on: July 25, 2023, 12:27:17 PM »

Online Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald

White
Brown
Tatum
Horford
Williams

You must not have been watching the same team I watched the 2nd half of the season - including playoffs.

« Reply #44 on: July 25, 2023, 12:27:58 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
A couple of Jaylen Brown contract notes, per source:
The trade kicker is for less than the 15 percent max.
He'll be on a 6-month pay schedule rather than 12 month. (basically, more money in a shorter time).