Author Topic: Private Workouts - Do we sign any of them?  (Read 2654 times)

Private Workouts - Do we sign any of them?
« on: July 10, 2023, 12:28:49 PM »

Offline Celtics978Fan

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 23
Players such as Dion Waiters, Harry Giles III, John Wall and Isaiah Thomas are all holding private work out.  Do you think any of them would be a good fit for the Celtics?  Right away I'm saying no to Dion Waiters just because I don't think he's a fit.  Harry Giles III could be interesting since Tatum could push for a friend of his.  I might take a flyer on him over a Kornet or bringing Griffin back. 

The one I'm personally interested in would be John Wall.  If he's coming for cheap money and he's in basketball shape, I'd prefer him over Pritchard.  Also with Brogdon not sure how he'll come back or if he'll be traded to have a veteran point guard could come in handy.  Part of me for the "comeback story" Thomas could be fun to see back with the Celtics.  I would only really see this move as a face move since trading Smart has a lot of fans not happy. 

Two centers I'd be interested in bringing in aren't holding private workouts but got me thinking.  Bringing in a veteran center like a Dwight Howard who's still in playing shape and could give us 20-25 a game.  Yes, he's got a bad reputation at times, but with his time ending I think he's more looking for a ring with a team.  Tacko Falls is right now in the G-league with the Bucks and I'd love to see him back with the Celtics.  17 minutes - 10 points, 3 blocks, 7 rebounds he just had in this g-league game.  If he could pull these numbers or close to them, he's worth a contract.

Re: Private Workouts - Do we sign any of them?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2023, 12:39:33 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Don't forget Alize Johnson and Ben McLemore.

I'd be fine with a two-way for Harry Giles as sort of a favor for Tatum.  I'm not sure if any of the others would be good fits here.  I guess if the team is convinced they won't sign Pritchard and wants to deal him, Wall could be okay in theory.  Even then, I'm not sure what he brings over somebody like D.J. Augustin.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2023, 12:46:49 PM »

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
I wouldn't mind Wall or someone like Augustin.

IT for sentimental reasons.

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2023, 12:50:05 PM »

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
I'd sign Harry Giles to a 2 way and bring in Wall.

Wall's efficiency has declined, but we don't really need him to score. He's still a solid playmaker and could be interesting with JT/JB/KP in limited minutes.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2023, 12:56:22 PM »

Offline radiohead

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 1264
Giles could be interesting since he’s still relatively young and eager to prove himself. He also has size, which is always good. In addition to that, he’s also 2 way eligible. IT would be a nice veteran presence on the bench. You could just imagine how loud the garden would be if he comes back home.

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2023, 12:59:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Bunch of bums

So yes, probably. Right up Brad Stevens' alley.

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2023, 01:08:36 PM »

Offline Atzar

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 1708
Not interested.

I think Wall has enough game left to fill a Blake Griffin role as an occasional sub who just comes in to be connective tissue for the rest of the lineup.  Still a good passer.  But I don't think his ego would let him take that kind of role and I've never thought of him as a particularly high-BBIQ guy anyway. 

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2023, 01:35:01 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Last year we signed Blake about a month after his private workout, so the Celtics do take them seriously, but a lot of times these private workouts are for guys who are on their way out of the league, so it depends how desperate you are.  With Blake, we were desperate.

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2023, 01:48:25 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
John Wall was a good player only a few years back.  He is tough and competitive but never was a particularly efficient scorer.  He is 32 years old but I have no idea what his physical condition is.  If he can play like Derrick Rose has at times, then he is certainly worth a min contract.  I am not sure if you could commit to him as a Pritchard replacement though.  I am assuming that if we brought him in that Pritchard would be traded.  I guess you could waive Champagnie and let Wall take that roster spot, or both.

With Pritchard, it is a pretty reasonable assumption that he will give you 15 min or whatever, every night you need that.  But could you count on that with Wall?  I just don't know, but have doubts.  I don't think there is much value to bring in Wall if all you expect is fill in play, like Griffin last season.  If he only gets minutes when Brogdon needs a game off.

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2023, 01:58:31 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
With Pritchard, it is a pretty reasonable assumption that he will give you 15 min or whatever, every night you need that.  But could you count on that with Wall?

I think his body will hold up well enough to play 15 mpg.  The question is, do you want him to?

https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2023&year_max=2023&player_id1=walljo01&player_id2=pritcpa01

Scroll down for the stat comparisons.  That's probably a pretty fair look at what each would offer.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2023, 02:03:02 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
The Clippers liked Wall's ability to create easier shots for others. They liked this because they lacked shot-creation outside of their two star forwards. Not really an issue for Boston. We have three prolific scorers / shot creators in Tatum, Jaylen and Porzingis and a fourth highly capable one in Brogdon.

They Clippers did also like Wall's ability to push the ball and get the team to play at a faster tempo which is an issue for Boston and something that neither Pritchard or Brogdon are capable of doing. But that by itself, does not feel enough when the rest of J Wall's game is lacking.

Those are the things LAC were happy with when they had Wall. I don't think there was much else they were happy with. Bad defense, bad shooting, bad shooting, overly shot happy.

« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2023, 02:13:45 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
With Pritchard, it is a pretty reasonable assumption that he will give you 15 min or whatever, every night you need that.  But could you count on that with Wall?

I think his body will hold up well enough to play 15 mpg.  The question is, do you want him to?

https://stathead.com/basketball/versus-finder.cgi?request=1&seasons_type=forall&year_min=2023&year_max=2023&player_id1=walljo01&player_id2=pritcpa01

Scroll down for the stat comparisons.  That's probably a pretty fair look at what each would offer.

These stat comparisons are based on the two games the Celtics and Clippers played last year?  I'm not sure what conclusion I'm supposed to take of the stats in general, nor how they are at all representative for either player.

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2023, 02:14:30 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

Don't get me wrong, you will not hear me being critical if they pass on Wall for whatever reason.  But of the players suggested in the OP, he is the one guy I felt may be able to find a role.

Giles is also interesting to a point.  I suspect he would not be any better than Vonleh, if that, but if you could get him on a 2-way, based on a positive private workout, I would understand that.  I have no idea where Giles is at physically, mentally, whatever so I can't really judge, just speculate, just like all these other potential scrubs.

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2023, 02:16:17 PM »

Online liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3223

Don't get me wrong, you will not hear me being critical if they pass on Wall for whatever reason.  But of the players suggested in the OP, he is the one guy I felt may be able to find a role.

Giles is also interesting to a point.  I suspect he would not be any better than Vonleh, if that, but if you could get him on a 2-way, based on a positive private workout, I would understand that.  I have no idea where Giles is at physically, mentally, whatever so I can't really judge, just speculate, just like all these other potential scrubs.

Jay Scrub doesn't appreciate that.

« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2023, 02:20:37 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

These stat comparisons are based on the two games the Celtics and Clippers played last year?  I'm not sure what conclusion I'm supposed to take of the stats in general, nor how they are at all representative for either player.

The comparison include the entire 2022-23 season.  Pritchard played 48 games, Wall 34 games.  Wall had more points, assists, rebounds, steals, and blocks but a lower eFG%.  I think what Wall is trying to sell was that 2022-23 season was his only partly back from injury season and that 2023-24 will be incrementally better.  If it is, and he proves durable, he would be better than Payton Pritchard.  But the catch is the "ifs".