Author Topic: Thank You Marcus Smart! We’ll Miss You  (Read 9367 times)

Re: Thank You Marcus Smart! We’ll Miss You
« Reply #45 on: June 22, 2023, 07:59:25 AM »

Offline celts55

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 578
I’m a bit torn. I remember numerous games last year thinking, I can’t wait until this guy is gone. I’d drive him to the airport. Sometimes had the worst shot selection, made really dumb passes, got T’s at the worst possible time, and I thought his defense was mediocre at best last year.
That being said, when engaged in a game, watching him dive on the floor for loss balls or drawing offensive fouls, it was hard not to like him. He was always a good interview and obviously loved being a Celtic. I’ll never forget when he drew 2 offensive fouls on Harden in the last minute of a game.
So while I’ll miss him, I’m good with the return.
I do kind of wish they could have kept one of Gallo or Muscala, but oh well

« Reply #46 on: June 22, 2023, 07:59:54 AM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
It was time for him to go for many reasons. I appreciate what he did for the city but this is what many of us wanted for a few seasons now. My focus is sacrificing KFC to Joeboo for KPs health.
ok fine

« Reply #47 on: June 22, 2023, 08:06:05 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 167
It was time for him to go for many reasons. I appreciate what he did for the city but this is what many of us wanted for a few seasons now. My focus is sacrificing KFC to Joeboo for KPs health.

That's a great movie reference!  #wildthing
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."

« Reply #48 on: June 22, 2023, 08:34:34 AM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 294
this one hurts. all the great plays, the bonehead mistakes, the makes and the misses, the toughness, the leadership... he was our guy and we loved him.

« Reply #49 on: June 22, 2023, 09:15:11 AM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3233
If the new end of game line up is KP, Tatum, Brown, Brogon, and White who do you leave open?

« Reply #50 on: June 22, 2023, 09:22:46 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Definitely bummed out.  He was the start of the whole post New 3 rebuild. Wanted him to be on the roster when they finally won a title.  He could be frustrating as hell at times but always appreciated his hustle & passion. 

That being said, something needed to be done and it was starting to look like that he had run his course here.  The roster definitely needed a tweak.  I don't think they could've simply rolled it back next season.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #51 on: June 22, 2023, 09:37:11 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Cheers to the namesake. I will always route for Marcus Smart and am glad that he going to an ideal situation in Memphis. He can do for that team what he's done here these past few years by helping to establish a defensive culture and provide leadership despite not being the best or highest paid person on the team. Smart's been a warrior for this team and the guard rotation is going to need to step up to cover what we are losing.

For Boston it's eyes forward. I am excited for the new era with KP but I wish Marcus Smart all the success in the world. Hope we face him in the Finals some day.

« Reply #52 on: June 22, 2023, 10:02:07 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
I can't believe that people are saying Smart was some kind of problem with the coach or other players.  Trading Smart was plan B, plan A was to trade Brogdon.  What I see and believe is that all of the Celtics players love Marcus Smart as a teammate.  Why wouldn't they?  And I think Marcus is the kind of player every coach wants.  I said in another thread that I am probably 95 percentile in terms of Marcus love.  I understand the trade but I am going to miss Marcus as a fan and I think the team is going to miss Marcus more than many appreciate.  Marcus is a one of a kind player who did things no other player could do.  Played hard every game, every minute.

And as for Memphis, I think the fans, players, and coaches are going to love Marcus.  He is a great fit for that team.  They gave up a lot to get him, Tyus Jones and two solid, near term, first round picks.  Heck, that is more than WAS got for Beal.  But I predict that MEM is going to be very happy with this trade.  The Celtics actually may see MEM and Marcus in the finals sometime in the near future.

« Reply #53 on: June 22, 2023, 10:28:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
I will miss Smartacus, warts and all. He drove my head crazy at times with his high risk plays that only came off 20% of the time but when they did they could change the game, and my heart wanted him to retire a Celtic. His judgment was sometimes questionable but his heart and commitment to Boston never was. But sometimes your head has to overrule your heart.

At least he's going to another contender, and one that probably needs a strong voice in the locker room. He should thrive in Memphis.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #54 on: June 22, 2023, 10:28:57 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
time to move on. Either he or brown needed to be traded. I am fine with it. No more dumb hero ball.
now lets get porzingis and get better.  muscala and gallo are gone also per what i read on masslive. we get zinger.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #55 on: June 22, 2023, 10:37:17 AM »

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1671
Feeling sad. I wanted Marcus to be there when we won it all. A bit stunned.

we need to do what is best for the team. not emotional attachments. move on.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

« Reply #56 on: June 22, 2023, 10:39:26 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1651
  • What a Pub Should Be
Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
MARCUS SMART - CELTICS ALL-TIME LISTS

3-pointers: 4th
Steals: 4th
Assists: 11th
Scoring at TD Garden: 7th
Playoff appearances: 100% (9/9) t-1st

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
·
9h
Marcus Smart is the only Celtic in the last 30 years to play 9+ years/500 games and never miss the playoffs.

He's one of just 10 Celtics who has ever done it.

Kevin McHale
Bill Russell
Bob Cousy
Larry Bird
Sam Jones
Bill Sharman
K.C. Jones
Tom Heinsohn
Frank Ramsey
MARCUS SMART

Sean Grande
@SeanGrandePBP
MOST GAMES AS A BOSTON CELTIC
               (Last 30 years)

1102 - Paul Pierce
  581 - MARCUS SMART
  552 - Antoine Walker
  527 - Rajon Rondo

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #57 on: June 22, 2023, 10:45:59 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I will miss Marcus, he was one of our few tough guys.

« Reply #58 on: June 22, 2023, 10:48:33 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
When things went well, he was awesome to cheer for. But he was also one of the most frustrating players to watch in the NBA.

You know what they say - "The ones you love can make you most miserable."

Well Smart, you made me miserable, but it was only because of how much I enjoyed watching you.

« Reply #59 on: June 22, 2023, 10:49:06 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25582
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
My son (8 years old) is legitimately upset.  His first favorite player to get dealt.  He doesn't understand it.

My daughter is legit going to riot if JB ever gets moved.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes