Author Topic: Beal traded for bag of balls  (Read 13257 times)

Re: Beal traded for bag of balls
« Reply #90 on: June 18, 2023, 09:02:05 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159
I think if you’re Washington, ultimately you got what you want, which is the opportunity to hit the reset button and start fresh.

Now Brogdon and Pritchard for Ayton and then sign the soon to be released Chris Paul, sell him on the same 6th man role .

« Reply #91 on: June 18, 2023, 09:30:28 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
So if it is true that WAS will "reroute" Chris Paul to LAC, how does that trade look?  Eric Gordon is an expiring but not enough on his own to match salary.

« Reply #92 on: June 18, 2023, 09:43:43 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
I think if you’re Washington, ultimately you got what you want, which is the opportunity to hit the reset button and start fresh.

Now Brogdon and Pritchard for Ayton and then sign the soon to be released Chris Paul, sell him on the same 6th man role .

I wonder if rebuild includes trading Porzingis? If they are going full rebuild, how likely is that they would want to retain him, especially if he could be opt out after next season and become an UFA?

« Reply #93 on: June 18, 2023, 09:46:24 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
Why don't the Celtics offer Horford for Ayton?  Their current salaries are close to matching.  Plus Al's salary drops a lot next season, giving Suns a little more chance to sign a $10mm guy under the 2nd apron.

Heck, throw in a protected future 1st round pick.

« Reply #94 on: June 18, 2023, 09:47:51 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1215
I guess the Suns aren't worried about the CBA lol
Durant - 46 million
Beal - 46 million
Booker - 36 million

The CBA is being treated like the new boogeyman by Boston media so Wyc can keeping packing his pockets while not really going for it.

I don't believe Beal was the right move for us, but I want management to be aggressive in improving this team.

More like it's being used by people that don't want to keep Jaylen Brown to justify trading him
I'm bitter.

« Reply #95 on: June 18, 2023, 09:57:23 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
Why don't the Celtics offer Horford for Ayton?  Their current salaries are close to matching.  Plus Al's salary drops a lot next season, giving Suns a little more chance to sign a $10mm guy under the 2nd apron.

It is a good point that the 2022-23 salaries match up but why would either team do this?  Do you feel that Ayton is the better player?  Are you thinking that PHX would do this just to save money next season?  Do you think the Celtics are better with Ayton over Horford?  Enough better to warrant the significantly more salary?

« Reply #96 on: June 18, 2023, 10:05:31 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Amazing what happens when winning is priority number one, they had above average coach in Monty, but he was not good enough so they got Vogel, in the meantime, we are stuck with 2nd row Joe. They then trade for Beal and Durrant. Ishibia is playing to win, Wyc and Co, not so much. Tatum must be taking notice

Tatum must be thinking "wow how come the Suns owner is going all in. How come the Lakers was aggressive during the midseason trades. But when I look at my owner and GM, we don't wanna spend?? And if we do, we get guys like Blake Griffin or Mike Muscala but they don't even sniff the floor. Maybe I should probably dip for LA or Golden State if I can't get the help I need in Boston."

Not saying it's true but you gotta imagine what going on in players' minds at times.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #97 on: June 18, 2023, 10:26:33 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
Wyc reminds me of the Joey Knish character in Rounders, happy to make his money and never willing to risk anything big, not sure that approach leads to championships, 2008 notwithstanding. I think the NBA has changed since then.

« Reply #98 on: June 18, 2023, 10:29:10 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

We can trade Horford for Ayton straight up? Wow, I thought we had to give up Brogdon as well.

That is very interesting. I would do that.

It is a good point that the 2022-23 salaries match up but why would either team do this?  Do you feel that Ayton is the better player?  Are you thinking that PHX would do this just to save money next season?  Do you think the Celtics are better with Ayton over Horford?  Enough better to warrant the significantly more salary?

I would do that trade for Boston. Horford is coming to the end of the line. If Ayton is not already better, he will be in the near future. It secures a quality big man replacement for Horford to play alongside the two Jays. Gives us a strong foundation to keep building around for the next 6-8 years.

I could see PHX doing it. Not a sure thing but possible. They are pretty annoyed with Ayton and would like to trade him. The trade offers haven't been good. I could see them taking Horford as a cost saving move to rebalance the books after committing to Beal. Solid plan for PHX. Save some cash while still contending. Bring in a skilled big like Horford to play along with your unskilled bigs (Landale, Biyombo). Gives you lineup flexability to play big or play small depending on need. Gives you a fresh start for a locker room that isn't that happy. Good things.

« Reply #99 on: June 18, 2023, 10:56:01 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis

Boston does it because Ayton is much younger than Horford and would probably start over Rob Williams, who could come in off the bench.

PHX does it because they are going all in now, and Horford is a better fit as he can stretch floor and play the 4 and the 5.  Plus, more importantly, Horford's salary starting next season drops to $10 mm, which enables the Suns to use the MLE to sign another decent player.  PHX may also get a protected 1st or a couple of 2nds out of it too.  Not certain about the math, open to critique. 

« Reply #100 on: June 18, 2023, 11:17:30 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2159

I wonder if rebuild includes trading Porzingis? If they are going full rebuild, how likely is that they would want to retain him, especially if he could be opt out after next season and become an UFA?

Porziņģis actually has the ability to opt out in the next few weeks. Assuming he does that, I think he would be fair game for a sign and trade, because I do not see the wizards looking to retain him.

« Reply #101 on: June 19, 2023, 01:02:38 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Boston does it because Ayton is much younger than Horford and would probably start over Rob Williams, who could come in off the bench.

PHX does it because they are going all in now, and Horford is a better fit as he can stretch floor and play the 4 and the 5.  Plus, more importantly, Horford's salary starting next season drops to $10 mm, which enables the Suns to use the MLE to sign another decent player.  PHX may also get a protected 1st or a couple of 2nds out of it too.  Not certain about the math, open to critique.
Problem being it fully commits us to small ball, as Ayton & Rob can’t play together. Not an issue with me, but not sure Joe and/or Brad wants that
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #102 on: June 19, 2023, 05:29:42 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

Porziņģis actually has the ability to opt out in the next few weeks. Assuming he does that, I think he would be fair game for a sign and trade, because I do not see the wizards looking to retain him.

His opt in deadline is the 21st of June.
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #103 on: June 19, 2023, 06:28:26 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 381
Wyc reminds me of the Joey Knish character in Rounders, happy to make his money and never willing to risk anything big, not sure that approach leads to championships, 2008 notwithstanding. I think the NBA has changed since then.

I think there are alot of over-reactions on this board. Celtics and Suns are in a different place. I'm not sure a shoot first guard who costs $50million is what we need right now. i'm not sure it will even work in Phoenix. we will see. How much more does Beal give us than Brogdon/White?

Celtics roster just isn't in a place where it needs to be "blown up radically" I'm not sure the roster is the reason this team lost to Miami. It was widely considered one of the deepest and most talented teams in the league. I wouldn't say they underachieved due to lack of talent and the team going out and spending. They haven't figured out how to play the right way...

« Reply #104 on: June 19, 2023, 07:33:14 AM »

Offline boscel33

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 166
Imganine, not that long ago, it looked like the Wiz were settling in for a nice run with Beal and Wall.  Now they're in full blow it up mode and while one might look at pick swaps as good, not when the Phoenix pick will be down in the bottom 20's.

That said, reading today the deal may take a few days to finalize as they're trying to pull a third team in for Paul to land at. 

What's it take for Ayton and Paul to wind up with the C's?
"There's sharks and minnows in this world. If you don't know which you are, you ain't a shark."