Author Topic: Beal traded for bag of balls  (Read 13240 times)

Re: Beal traded for bag of balls
« Reply #135 on: June 20, 2023, 03:52:29 AM »

Offline Birdman

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 434
Never been a Beal fan with injuries & never makes playoffs, rather have Brown than Beal any day
C/PF-Horford, Baynes, Noel, Theis, Morris,
SF/SG- Tatum, Brown, Hayward, Smart, Semi, Clark
PG- Irving, Rozier, Larkin

« Reply #136 on: June 20, 2023, 08:36:39 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2983
Never been a Beal fan with injuries & never makes playoffs, rather have Brown than Beal any day

I m with you ,  Beal is a offensive machine when healthy ,  but he is older than Brown with worse injuries  on him and given his small stature he bound to have a lot more kacks before long. Ans with Celtics forever cursed with injuries , I can see it now …..10:glorious games , then misses next 30. He ll score 30 a game for some team but would be forever injured on Boston.

« Reply #137 on: June 20, 2023, 08:40:18 AM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 354
I know people probably think there are redundancies with KD, Booker and Beal and only one ball to share, but the fact they were able to give up so little to get him provides the ability to make additional moves to round out the rest of their roster with complementary players.  Injury risk is obviously a factor with both Beal and KD, but if healthy they’re gonna be a problem.

« Reply #138 on: June 20, 2023, 10:09:02 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I know people probably think there are redundancies with KD, Booker and Beal and only one ball to share, but the fact they were able to give up so little to get him provides the ability to make additional moves to round out the rest of their roster with complementary players.  Injury risk is obviously a factor with both Beal and KD, but if healthy they’re gonna be a problem.

They fit in some ways as they all play or can play different positions but they are all primary scorers, so yes, I am one of those people that see issues with this line up.  Maybe Beal will adjust and play more of a traditional ball handler, ball distributor role.  He is probably capable of that, just never has done it.  I think that is the key to this.  Beal is the one who is going to need to adjust his game.  PHX was his first choice, it is where he wanted to go, so maybe he recognizes this already.

As to what PHX gave up, it is certainly not anything close to what Utah got for Mitchell for example, but they did give up Chris Paul.  He is still a good player.  Probably comparable to Jrue Holiday or someone like that.  Yes, he gets injured a lot but so does Beal lately.  It is a ballsy, all in play by PHX.  It is an upgrade from a pure talent perspective (we shall see regarding fit) and who really cares about a bunch of second round picks.  Much less than what I though Beal would go for.   But Chris Paul can still help a team as a key rotation player.  He was important for PHX.  You could see how the team declined when he got injured.  I think PHX is losing more with Chris Paul than many people seem to be acknowledging.

« Reply #139 on: June 20, 2023, 01:13:22 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!

They're cleaned out from dealing a bunch of assets for KD. In free agency, they have the taxpayer MLE ($5m) the BLE ($4.4m) but they can't trade any more picks and they're tapped on tradeable salary. They're best hope for getting some depth would be dealing Deandre Ayton for multiple players.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #140 on: June 20, 2023, 01:19:58 PM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

They're cleaned out from dealing a bunch of assets for KD. In free agency, they have the taxpayer MLE ($5m) the BLE ($4.4m) but they can't trade any more picks and they're tapped on tradeable salary. They're best hope for getting some depth would be dealing Deandre Ayton for multiple players.

The Suns are way too far above the apron to dream about the BAE, and most likely they’ll be above the second apron and lose the MLE, assuming that rule takes effect this year.  They can use Bird rights to being back guys like Craig and Landale, but otherwise, yes, they need to trade Ayton for 2-3 rotation players.

« Reply #141 on: June 20, 2023, 01:22:24 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Why didn't Beal want to come to Boston? Lillard feels the same way too.

Beal most likely didn't have the opportunity to join Boston. I don't think the Celtics were interested in accepting that expensive contract. Our owner has a reputation for being frugal, and if I were to make a guess, I would say he exerted more effort than any other team executive to have the second apron implemented. I strongly doubt he would allow the Celtics anywhere near that penalty.

I generally agree with this, although I think even if pursued Beal was going to for his way out west.  Phoenix accepted something inferior to what Miami was reportedly offering, and Miami generally has little difficulty attracting players.  Reportedly his wife wanted to be closer to her home in CA, and he used that no-trade clause to deliver upon her wishes.

Maybe it was always Phoenix, and that was their only way out of the contract. The wizards shouldn't have signed him in the first place. Everyone knew it was a terrible decision, and I know it happened under the previous GM, but why not let Beal leave and arrange a sign-and-trade so he can go wherever he wants? Why sign him to such a huge deal just to bench him and then trade him? I'll tell you why: they signed Beal to that deal to take care of him. They didn't care about competing, winning championships, or doing what's best for the fans and the franchise by hitting reset on the Wemby year. They did it to show other teams and players that their guys get paid, and it's pretty obvious now. That's where we stand in today’s NBA.

This is also influencing the Boston Celtics' choice to offer Jaylen a Super-Max contract. The Celtics are still trying to overcome the negative impact of their treatment towards Isaiah Thomas following his injury and trade. In reality, the solution was quite simple: they could have provided him with “Haslem treatment" by allowing him to spend a few years on the Celtics bench and assume a supportive role as a veteran, setting a positive example, getting a few million a year. But they were unable to do so because they were p---ed with him for publicly criticizing the Celtics

You're assuming IT would've accepted a role like that. Haslem works in Miami because he knows he's not going to play meaningful minutes and he's completely okay with it. Haslem is not going to pout or talk to the media about wanting a bigger role. Quite frankly, I don't see that from Mr. "back up the Brinks truck." Humbleness was never one of his strong suits.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #142 on: June 20, 2023, 01:29:33 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
John Gambadoro: I had a player tell me yesterday to watch out for the Knicks. It’s hard to believe that because when he came to Phoenix, his wife and children stayed in Los Angeles, and he could fly home on an off day very quickly. Being close to his family mattered. I still think the Lakers and Clippers probably have the best shot, probably more so the Lakers. Now, somebody could still trade for him with that salary. I find it hard to believe, but it’s possible. If he gets waived outright, I wouldn’t rule out the Knicks only because a player told me he was hearing they’re a good option for Chris, so keep that in mind. I think, in the end, everyone expects him to end up in Los Angeles. – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

Chris Paul to NYK for Hart and Rose works.  Knicks could add picks.  Not sure how Chris Paul and Brunson would be together.

A deal with LAC seems more likely.  Gordan and Mann to WAS for CP3 would work.  Don't know what LAC has for picks.

« Reply #143 on: June 20, 2023, 01:36:19 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
John Gambadoro: I had a player tell me yesterday to watch out for the Knicks. It’s hard to believe that because when he came to Phoenix, his wife and children stayed in Los Angeles, and he could fly home on an off day very quickly. Being close to his family mattered. I still think the Lakers and Clippers probably have the best shot, probably more so the Lakers. Now, somebody could still trade for him with that salary. I find it hard to believe, but it’s possible. If he gets waived outright, I wouldn’t rule out the Knicks only because a player told me he was hearing they’re a good option for Chris, so keep that in mind. I think, in the end, everyone expects him to end up in Los Angeles. – via Michael Scotto @ HoopsHype

Chris Paul to NYK for Hart and Rose works.  Knicks could add picks.  Not sure how Chris Paul and Brunson would be together.

A deal with LAC seems more likely.  Gordan and Mann to WAS for CP3 would work.  Don't know what LAC has for picks.

Why would LAC give up a pick? I actually think Gordon and Mann is an overpay. They're either going to trade him or buy him out, he's not going to play for them. Washington will probably do him a solid and trade him to where he wants to go to build some favor with his agent. So LAC should just offer them Covington and Morris as expiring contracts, maybe a highly protected 2nd rounder that'll never convey and call it a day.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #144 on: June 20, 2023, 01:37:41 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

I'd rather keep E Gordon and T Mann myself. Mann is a starting caliber wing. E Gordon a high level bench player.

Given CP3's decline and injury risk, I'd stick with them over CP3.

Why would LAC give up a pick? I actually think Gordon and Mann is an overpay. They're either going to trade him or buy him out, he's not going to play for them. Washington will probably do him a solid and trade him to where he wants to go to build some favor with his agent. So LAC should just offer them Covington and Morris as expiring contracts, maybe a highly protected 2nd rounder that'll never convey and call it a day.

R Covington and Marcus Morris is a price I'd be willing to pay. Morris has been a liability for LAC. Getting rid of him would be addition by subtraction. That is a win for LAC.

I am not sure what is to be gained for WAS though unless they are getting a first or two. Why eat so much salary without getting some compensation back? They'd be better off waiving CP3 and saving 1/2 his salary since only half is guaranteed.

I would think that require at least one 1st if not 2. Probably 1 but I think that is bad math. $15mil for one 1st is a heavy price. Then again LAC is so injury prone that may be a mid first instead of a late first like it would be with other contenders. Yeah okay, one first.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2023, 01:43:25 PM by Who »

« Reply #145 on: June 20, 2023, 01:52:27 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley

I'd rather keep E Gordon and T Mann myself. Mann is a starting caliber wing. E Gordon a high level bench player.

Given CP3's decline and injury risk, I'd stick with them over CP3.

We'll see.  I was surprised at how little WAS got for Beal so maybe I will be surprised how little they now get for Chris Paul.  I feel that Chris Paul at $30M'ish isn't a horrible contract.  I think he can help a team.  LAC isn't going anywhere unless Kawhi and Paul George are healthy but if they are, CP3 has value to them.  I am also not sure WAS will just cut him.  He will have trade value at the trade deadline, if healthy.

Probably some kind of 3-way (or more) is worked out in the next several days.  The deadline to guarantee his full contract is Jun 28.  $15.8M of his contract is already guaranteed.

« Reply #146 on: June 20, 2023, 03:32:51 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029

Beal most likely didn't have the opportunity to join Boston. I don't think the Celtics were interested in accepting that expensive contract. Our owner has a reputation for being frugal, and if I were to make a guess, I would say he exerted more effort than any other team executive to have the second apron implemented. I strongly doubt he would allow the Celtics anywhere near that penalty.

I generally agree with this, although I think even if pursued Beal was going to for his way out west.  Phoenix accepted something inferior to what Miami was reportedly offering, and Miami generally has little difficulty attracting players.  Reportedly his wife wanted to be closer to her home in CA, and he used that no-trade clause to deliver upon her wishes.

Maybe it was always Phoenix, and that was their only way out of the contract. The wizards shouldn't have signed him in the first place. Everyone knew it was a terrible decision, and I know it happened under the previous GM, but why not let Beal leave and arrange a sign-and-trade so he can go wherever he wants? Why sign him to such a huge deal just to bench him and then trade him? I'll tell you why: they signed Beal to that deal to take care of him. They didn't care about competing, winning championships, or doing what's best for the fans and the franchise by hitting reset on the Wemby year. They did it to show other teams and players that their guys get paid, and it's pretty obvious now. That's where we stand in today’s NBA.

This is also influencing the Boston Celtics' choice to offer Jaylen a Super-Max contract. The Celtics are still trying to overcome the negative impact of their treatment towards Isaiah Thomas following his injury and trade. In reality, the solution was quite simple: they could have provided him with “Haslem treatment" by allowing him to spend a few years on the Celtics bench and assume a supportive role as a veteran, setting a positive example, getting a few million a year. But they were unable to do so because they were p---ed with him for publicly criticizing the Celtics

You're assuming IT would've accepted a role like that. Haslem works in Miami because he knows he's not going to play meaningful minutes and he's completely okay with it. Haslem is not going to pout or talk to the media about wanting a bigger role. Quite frankly, I don't see that from Mr. "back up the Brinks truck." Humbleness was never one of his strong suits.

Ainge also had a history of losing the player loyalty by trading Perkins. He almost traded Ray and Rondo in 2011 too. Media always out to get Boston with just trading anyone at any time. I think they overkilled it with IT4...hip injury and played his heart out in 2017 before being traded for what would eventually be our malcontent. I'd still do that trade tho bcuz I don't wanna pay an injured PG with no defense and banged up hip the brinks truck.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #147 on: June 20, 2023, 04:04:28 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836

Ainge also had a history of losing the player loyalty by trading Perkins. He almost traded Ray and Rondo in 2011 too. Media always out to get Boston with just trading anyone at any time. I think they overkilled it with IT4...hip injury and played his heart out in 2017 before being traded for what would eventually be our malcontent. I'd still do that trade tho bcuz I don't wanna pay an injured PG with no defense and banged up hip the brinks truck.

I favored the trade then but now regret. If we did over, IT would not have gotten big contract from us. We’d hVe negotiated something reasonable with hope he’d recover. (He didn’t, I know). Will never know who Ainge would have taken WITH THE 8th pick. SGA?

« Reply #148 on: June 20, 2023, 04:07:40 PM »

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1836
Lesson in Beal debacle: Under no circumstances do Celtics give Brown trade approval rights. Also hoping he doesn’t negotiate option on his 5 th year, as this will increase his trade value should we reach that decision later on.

« Reply #149 on: June 20, 2023, 04:31:04 PM »

Offline SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1029
Lesson in Beal debacle: Under no circumstances do Celtics give Brown trade approval rights. Also hoping he doesn’t negotiate option on his 5 th year, as this will increase his trade value should we reach that decision later on.

Tatum should deserve the NTC more than Brown. Then again I'd also be scared if he demands to go to Lakers or Warriors since he can choose where he wanna play, etc. That is why C's need to win now to please teammates like him, entice them to stay and be happy in green long-term and possibly a franchise player.

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)