Author Topic: ‘End this right now’: Kendrick Perkins wants Celtics star Jaylen Brown out  (Read 6696 times)

Offline Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
well, well, well

“It’s time to break Jaylen Brown and Jayson Tatum up,” Perkins said. “Jaylen Brown was horrible tonight — eight turnovers, 8-for-23 from the field. Jayson Tatum (is) hurt; this is the time he’s supposed to step up".

https://clutchpoints.com/celtics-news-jaylen-brown-should-be-traded-asap-per-kendrick-perkins?mibextid=Zxz2cZ#libvvkrephaohycpjl
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline BringToughnessBack

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 979
Without a genius coach, Perk might be right.

Is Brown capable of being the Pippen to Tatum? I am not sure. Maybe the right coach could scheme them better together. Brown was amazing last year in the playoffs under Ime.

Is Brown worth a supermax to a team who has an alpha ahead of him? He is worth a super max to some teams out there though as option one but he doesn’t appear to make others better around him but that could be coaching too. The wound of game 7 lingers and he was absolutely horrible when we needed him most.

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416
At the risk of sounding contrarian, isn't it a little premature to be wanting Jaylen shipped out? I know he was bad against Miami but wasn't he our best player against Golden State in the finals last season?

That's the argument Chris Forsberg is putting forward on NBC Sports Boston:

In the emotional aftermath of a maddening Game 7 in which Jaylen Brown turned the ball over eight times, it’s easy to stomp your feet and demand the Celtics explore trade options. Brown’s underwhelming play in the East Finals will overshadow an All-NBA season in which he showed encouraging growth. Brown had notable moments of regression in the postseason, which will leave some leery about offering him $ 295 million this summer.

We are not certain there’s a more agreeable path.

While much of Boston’s inability to fully maximize its opportunities in recent seasons falls back on its superstars, it's prudent to take a deep breath before you jump on the NBA trade machine to deal a 26-year-old Brown for any 30-plus-year-old scorer, or some collection of spare parts.

Now, Brown absolutely needs to continue evolving his game, particularly his ball security. But few were lamenting his flaws when he was the more consistent of Boston’s stars for stretches of the season.

If we’re president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, we’re putting the supermax in front of Brown as soon as allowed, hoping he’s committed to Boston despite his sometimes conflicted relationship with an antsy fan base, and figuring out the rest from there.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-face-several-pressing-offseason-questions-after-game-7-loss-heat
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
https://www.youtube.com/shorts/99Ob-kuWVRQ

This is just a few months ago when Perk called them the best duo in the NBA. Perkins is a clown show looking for clicks and social media engagement. Dude changes his opinions like he does underwear - at least, I hope.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1416

This is just a few months ago when Perk called them the best duo in the NBA. Perkins is a clown show looking for clicks and social media engagement. Dude changes his opinions like he does underwear - at least, I hope.

He's trying to build a name for him as a controversial media talking head. Maybe he has his eye on Stephen A's job  :police:
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3062
  • On To Banner 18!
Perkins is literally changing his opinion every day. I'm not surprised a lot of NBA players think he's a clown in the media. Ibaka, KD, Lillard, Reddick, etc. all have called him out on it
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
At the risk of sounding contrarian, isn't it a little premature to be wanting Jaylen shipped out? I know he was bad against Miami but wasn't he our best player against Golden State in the finals last season?

In the emotional aftermath of a maddening Game 7 in which Jaylen Brown turned the ball over eight times, it’s easy to stomp your feet and demand the Celtics explore trade options. Brown’s underwhelming play in the East Finals will overshadow an All-NBA season in which he showed encouraging growth. Brown had notable moments of regression in the postseason, which will leave some leery about offering him $ 295 million this summer.

While much of Boston’s inability to fully maximize its opportunities in recent seasons falls back on its superstars, it's prudent to take a deep breath before you jump on the NBA trade machine to deal a 26-year-old Brown for any 30-plus-year-old scorer, or some collection of spare parts.

Now, Brown absolutely needs to continue evolving his game, particularly his ball security. But few were lamenting his flaws when he was the more consistent of Boston’s stars for stretches of the season.

If we’re president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, we’re putting the supermax in front of Brown as soon as allowed, hoping he’s committed to Boston despite his sometimes conflicted relationship with an antsy fan base, and figuring out the rest from there.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-face-several-pressing-offseason-questions-after-game-7-loss-heat
I have never understood the claim that Brown was better than Tatum in the finals. Brown turned it over at a near-identical rate, played worse defence, generated almost 50% less assists than Tatum.

Is it because he scored 2 more PPG on 5% better EFG?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435

He openly admits this. It is not about analysis. It is about generating eye-balls & discussion. He'll say what he thinks will get the most discussion rather than what he really thinks.

A lot of those guys operate like that. At least Perk admits it.

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
LOL, even old Perk is getting emotional :laugh:  Game 7 was a kick in the gut, Makes many want to make immediate changes!! I mean how else do you cope with the Frustration? As I said before, Donovan Mitchell made sense to me last year when it was obvious Utah was moving him. I think he would have fit perfectly with JT.  Oh well, we didn't do it, but come on JB is an Allstar, also as I said in another post, he and Tatum have an incredible winning record.  It is my opinion, you only make moves when it makes the team Better. Not when you are upset over a loss, that is the worst time to make a move.

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I have never understood the claim that Brown was better than Tatum in the finals. Brown turned it over at a near-identical rate, played worse defence, generated almost 50% less assists than Tatum.

Recency bias. Both of the Jays were maddeningly inconsistent in the finals, but Jaylen scored more points in the elimination game.
2021 Houston Rockets

Online RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

He openly admits this. It is not about analysis. It is about generating eye-balls & discussion. He'll say what he thinks will get the most discussion rather than what he really thinks.

I don't follow him enough to get his philosophy on how he approaches analysis. He just pops up on my social media feeds sometimes and no matter how many times I hit "not interested," he still pops up.
2021 Houston Rockets

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Recency bias. Both of the Jays were maddeningly inconsistent in the finals, but Jaylen scored more points in the elimination game.
Yeah, they essentially swapped. In G5 (where we probably should have won) Brown went 5/18 with 5 turnovers, whereas Tatum went 10/20 for 27/10/4 and 4 turnovers. In G6, it was sort of the reverse.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Can we trade Perk again?  I’ve been done with him for awhile.

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

But is this really the get out of jail free card it should be?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25590
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
I loved his contributions here, but Perk is one of the least insightful analysts out there.  I prefer hearing him talk about chicken wings.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes