Author Topic: ‘End this right now’: Kendrick Perkins wants Celtics star Jaylen Brown out  (Read 6695 times)

Online Boston Garden Leprechaun

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1655
At the risk of sounding contrarian, isn't it a little premature to be wanting Jaylen shipped out? I know he was bad against Miami but wasn't he our best player against Golden State in the finals last season?

That's the argument Chris Forsberg is putting forward on NBC Sports Boston:

In the emotional aftermath of a maddening Game 7 in which Jaylen Brown turned the ball over eight times, it’s easy to stomp your feet and demand the Celtics explore trade options. Brown’s underwhelming play in the East Finals will overshadow an All-NBA season in which he showed encouraging growth. Brown had notable moments of regression in the postseason, which will leave some leery about offering him $ 295 million this summer.

We are not certain there’s a more agreeable path.

While much of Boston’s inability to fully maximize its opportunities in recent seasons falls back on its superstars, it's prudent to take a deep breath before you jump on the NBA trade machine to deal a 26-year-old Brown for any 30-plus-year-old scorer, or some collection of spare parts.

Now, Brown absolutely needs to continue evolving his game, particularly his ball security. But few were lamenting his flaws when he was the more consistent of Boston’s stars for stretches of the season.

If we’re president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, we’re putting the supermax in front of Brown as soon as allowed, hoping he’s committed to Boston despite his sometimes conflicted relationship with an antsy fan base, and figuring out the rest from there.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-face-several-pressing-offseason-questions-after-game-7-loss-heat

Agree.  Talent like JB’s doesn’t come around ever day - especially as a number 2 guy.  I’m for finding the right coach long before I’m giving up on the Jays.

jays? who said they were giving up on tatum?? i see people ready to get equal or better value for brown and move on from this experiment. no, do not get shafted. in that case you keep him for now. has to be right deal.
LET'S GO CELTICS!

Offline cltc5

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 445
Long over due with JB.  If JB was a mid 2nd rounder they’d shipped him out already.  Celtics love to hold onto their trash

Offline lbgreen33

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 51
Long over due with JB.  If JB was a mid 2nd rounder they’d shipped him out already.  Celtics love to hold onto their trash
You are so right :laugh: They win way too much!! Ship him out, I'm sick of making it to the ECFinals!!
Hopefully next year we don't even make the playoffs!! Let's tank for a high draft pick! :laugh:
Wait what forum am I on? Sixers? Bucks? Lakers? where am I????

Offline Muzzy66

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 146
Without a genius coach, Perk might be right.

Is Brown capable of being the Pippen to Tatum? I am not sure. Maybe the right coach could scheme them better together. Brown was amazing last year in the playoffs under Ime.

Is Brown worth a supermax to a team who has an alpha ahead of him? He is worth a super max to some teams out there though as option one but he doesn’t appear to make others better around him but that could be coaching too. The wound of game 7 lingers and he was absolutely horrible when we needed him most.
This doesn't directly relate to your post, but I'm tired of the national media comparing Tatum and Brown to great championship duos like Jordan/Pippen, Lebron/Wade, or even different position duos like Magic/Kareem, Kobe/Shaq, Bird/McHale, etc.

It is offensive to those all-time great duos who both were better (or at least one was way better) than Tatum let alone Brown who isn't even a top 20 player in the sport.  Tatum and Brown are much closer to a duo like Moncrief/Johnson or Nash/Amar'e than they are to those all-time great duos.  Tatum and Brown could win a title, especially if Tatum gets into that top 3 range as a player, but it is far more likely they never reach the Finals again than actually win the title because they quite simply aren't collectively in that class of player.

I'm thinking Lilllard/McCollum or AD/Cousins might be fair comparisons.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Without a genius coach, Perk might be right.

Is Brown capable of being the Pippen to Tatum? I am not sure. Maybe the right coach could scheme them better together. Brown was amazing last year in the playoffs under Ime.

Is Brown worth a supermax to a team who has an alpha ahead of him? He is worth a super max to some teams out there though as option one but he doesn’t appear to make others better around him but that could be coaching too. The wound of game 7 lingers and he was absolutely horrible when we needed him most.
This doesn't directly relate to your post, but I'm tired of the national media comparing Tatum and Brown to great championship duos like Jordan/Pippen, Lebron/Wade, or even different position duos like Magic/Kareem, Kobe/Shaq, Bird/McHale, etc.

It is offensive to those all-time great duos who both were better (or at least one was way better) than Tatum let alone Brown who isn't even a top 20 player in the sport.  Tatum and Brown are much closer to a duo like Moncrief/Johnson or Nash/Amar'e than they are to those all-time great duos.  Tatum and Brown could win a title, especially if Tatum gets into that top 3 range as a player, but it is far more likely they never reach the Finals again than actually win the title because they quite simply aren't collectively in that class of player.

I'm thinking Lilllard/McCollum or AD/Cousins might be fair comparisons.
Brown ain’t no Boogie. Boogie was the best 5 in the comp for a moment
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

Tatum isn't even remotely close to  Michael Jordan, either.  Tatum doesn't have the killer instinct or will to win that MJ did.

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2573
At the risk of sounding contrarian, isn't it a little premature to be wanting Jaylen shipped out? I know he was bad against Miami but wasn't he our best player against Golden State in the finals last season?

That's the argument Chris Forsberg is putting forward on NBC Sports Boston:

In the emotional aftermath of a maddening Game 7 in which Jaylen Brown turned the ball over eight times, it’s easy to stomp your feet and demand the Celtics explore trade options. Brown’s underwhelming play in the East Finals will overshadow an All-NBA season in which he showed encouraging growth. Brown had notable moments of regression in the postseason, which will leave some leery about offering him $ 295 million this summer.

We are not certain there’s a more agreeable path.

While much of Boston’s inability to fully maximize its opportunities in recent seasons falls back on its superstars, it's prudent to take a deep breath before you jump on the NBA trade machine to deal a 26-year-old Brown for any 30-plus-year-old scorer, or some collection of spare parts.

Now, Brown absolutely needs to continue evolving his game, particularly his ball security. But few were lamenting his flaws when he was the more consistent of Boston’s stars for stretches of the season.

If we’re president of basketball operations Brad Stevens, we’re putting the supermax in front of Brown as soon as allowed, hoping he’s committed to Boston despite his sometimes conflicted relationship with an antsy fan base, and figuring out the rest from there.

https://www.nbcsports.com/boston/celtics/celtics-face-several-pressing-offseason-questions-after-game-7-loss-heat

Agree.  Talent like JB’s doesn’t come around ever day - especially as a number 2 guy.  I’m for finding the right coach long before I’m giving up on the Jays.

jays? who said they were giving up on tatum?? i see people ready to get equal or better value for brown and move on from this experiment. no, do not get shafted. in that case you keep him for now. has to be right deal.

Well it was somewhat of a nuanced comment - apologies. I was suggesting that if you get rid of JB you no longer have the Jays (plural, as in the duo). Wasn’t suggesting giving up on Tatum.

First move is new coach.

Then look at trading Smart before Jaylen.

Offline Surferdad

• Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 982
  • "He fiddles...and diddles..."
I loved his contributions here, but Perk is one of the least insightful analysts out there.  I prefer hearing him talk about chicken wings.
...or at least he should stick with something he knows: frontcourt players. Perk knows nothing about guard play.

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I loved his contributions here, but Perk is one of the least insightful analysts out there.  I prefer hearing him talk about chicken wings.
...or at least he should stick with something he knows: frontcourt players. Perk knows nothing about guard play.

Perk did his job. He got people talking. Look all the discussion here on this forum. How many other ESPN analysts generated this level of discussion yesterday & today?

Perk's job is not to provide quality analysis. It is to get people talking. To get them engaged. Keep them engaged. Perk is one of the more talked about analysts on ESPN. He is regularly talked about on forums across the league. He is succeeding.

It's like these call-in sports shows on the radio. The goal isn't in depth sports analysis. The goal is to get people to call in. If they say smart analysis and people do not call in, they have failed. If they say outrageous things and rile up the listeners and get lots of calls, they have succeeded. ESPN operates similarly. Perk operates this way. And he is being successful; this thread is proof of that.

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion

Tatum isn't even remotely close to  Michael Jordan, either.  Tatum doesn't have the killer instinct or will to win that MJ did.
What good did this “will to win” do for MJ in his early-mid 20s? Did he win a lot?
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar

Perk did his job. He got people talking. Look all the discussion here on this forum. How many other ESPN analysts generated this level of discussion yesterday & today?

Perk's job is not to provide quality analysis. It is to get people talking. To get them engaged. Keep them engaged. Perk is one of the more talked about analysts on ESPN. He is regularly talked about on forums across the league. He is succeeding.

It's like these call-in sports shows on the radio. The goal isn't in depth sports analysis. The goal is to get people to call in. If they say smart analysis and people do not call in, they have failed. If they say outrageous things and rile up the listeners and get lots of calls, they have succeeded. ESPN operates similarly. Perk operates this way. And he is being successful; this thread is proof of that.
Ideally, though, would you agree that the takeaway should be "maybe there should be more support for smarter analysis" rather than chasing the Baylessian Outrage Dragon?
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 618
It really boils down to can this team win with the Jay's and less talent it has now? CBA isn't going to allow for us to have he same team we have now with 2 super max contracts. Unless Brown takes a massive leap, I don't think that can happen, nor do I think it will happen.

I was a no on KD last year, turns out that deal might have brought a title. They might have had enough to overcome the terrible coaching. Now we might have a shot at Dame. I was against that as well, but now that I'm warming up to the idea. Silver wants a league full of parity which means it's all about winning now.

Either way it's a tough decision, and there's no easy answer. However, JB made it easier than it would have been had he balled out on Mon.
Still don't believe in Joe.

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
It really boils down to can this team win with the Jay's and less talent it has now? CBA isn't going to allow for us to have he same team we have now with 2 super max contracts. Unless Brown takes a massive leap, I don't think that can happen, nor do I think it will happen.

I was a no on KD last year, turns out that deal might have brought a title. They might have had enough to overcome the terrible coaching. Now we might have a shot at Dame. I was against that as well, but now that I'm warming up to the idea. Silver wants a league full of parity which means it's all about winning now.

Either way it's a tough decision, and there's no easy answer. However, JB made it easier than it would have been had he balled out on Mon.

I will say this again: There is a zero percent chance Jaylen Brown is being traded for Damian lillard.

Guys, again, Brown is an expiring contract. The blazers stink. They trade Lillard for Brown they will stink next year, which means Brown isn't re-signing there. they are not trading Lillard for a 1 year rental of Jaylen Brown. Just from that perspective alone it is not happening.

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562

What good did this “will to win” do for MJ in his early-mid 20s? Did he win a lot?
Or basically any season he didn't have Pippen. No playoff series wins EVER without Pippen. He was in fact 1-9 in playoff games without Pippen (0-6 against Bird).  Pippen on the other hand won multiple playoff series without Jordan.  Jordan was obviously better than Pippen, but I certainly understand Pippen's disdain for the Jordan love fest as he clearly has not gotten his fair share of the credit for those championships.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

Online celticinorlando

• Larry Bird
  • Tommy Points: 734
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Sure. Who are they going to get for him? You need an impact player in return and I do not see anyone out there offering up what they might need back.