Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 39366 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #105 on: May 30, 2023, 05:25:28 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Going to be a very long offseason filled with lots of Brown trade ideas. I am going to collate a few of my favourites and post below.

Houston
Boston gets: Alperen Sengun + Tari Eason + Kenyon Martin Jr.

Houston gets: Jaylen Brown

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason
Horford / Gallinari / G Williams
Sengun / R Williams / G Williams

Is the idea with Sengun that he develops into a D Sabonis type?

I am not convinced he is worth Jaylen.

« Reply #106 on: May 30, 2023, 06:11:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3142
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Going to be a very long offseason filled with lots of Brown trade ideas. I am going to collate a few of my favourites and post below.

Portland
Boston gets: Damian Lillard + Trendon Watford

Portland gets: Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart + Payton Pritchard + 2 1st round picks

Boston team is as below:
Lillard / Brogdon
White / Hauser
Tatum / Gallinari
Horford / G Williams / Watford
R Williams / Muscala / Kornet

Houston

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason

Atlanta
Boston gets: De'Andre Hunter + Bogdan Bogdanovic + Saddiq Bey + Wendell Carter Jr

Atlanta gets: Jaylen Brown + Gary Harris

Orlando gets: Marcus Smart + Jalen Johnson

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Bogdanovic / Brogdon
Tatum / Bey
Horford / Hunter / Gallinari
Carter Jr. / R Williams / G Williams

These just spring to mind immediately.

The last two deals are legitimately awful for Boston. Like they'd be better off just trading him for draft picks because at least you could, in theory, flip those for a future star maybe.

The first is not happening because Brown will never agree to re-sign on a Portland team that doesn't have Lillard, so Portland isnt doing that trade.
I disagree, but that is probably due to my high rating of Sengun, Eason, Hunter, Bey and Carter Jr. I think all 4 will be high level starter-level players for a while, with Sengun looking at All-Star level talent.
He is the kind of Sabonis-esque offensive big that will replace Horford's passing and screening. I also think Tari Eason is bound for several All-Defence teams. Those deals are obviously not flashy star acquisitions, but they make us a much more balanced and deeper team. I don't think you need two All-NBA guys (esp. if one is very flawed) if you have an incredible supporting cast.

I didn't realise you had a personal knowledge of Jaylen's inner motivations. Please do tell us more about where he'll re-sign! I'm sure CBS would love to hear it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #107 on: May 30, 2023, 06:12:04 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Houston

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason

Pretty much. I think he does develop into that kind of player. I also see Tari Eason as an OG Anunoby clone.

« Reply #108 on: May 30, 2023, 06:17:51 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1423
  • Let's Go Celtics!
You think the Nets would consider moving Mikal Bridges + a piece for Jaylen Brown? Say Mikal + Joe Harris for JB as the foundation of the deal?
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #109 on: May 30, 2023, 06:35:44 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
You think the Nets would consider moving Mikal Bridges + a piece for Jaylen Brown? Say Mikal + Joe Harris for JB as the foundation of the deal?
Prior to how amazing Bridges looked with Brooklyn, I would have said no brainer. Now I don’t know if they go for that. If Bridges can give 20-25PPG on his outrageous efficiency whilst playing great D, they might not be interested.

But I would take that deal and run to the hills. Bridges would be a great efficient #2, and would be a formidable defender alongside White, Tatum & Smart.

« Reply #110 on: May 30, 2023, 07:43:19 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441

Houston

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason

Pretty much. I think he does develop into that kind of player. I also see Tari Eason as an OG Anunoby clone.

Does Tari Eason have any offensive game?

I thought he was a defense-only player. I do not know his game well.

« Reply #111 on: May 30, 2023, 07:55:31 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!
Prior to how amazing Bridges looked with Brooklyn, I would have said no brainer. Now I don’t know if they go for that. If Bridges can give 20-25PPG on his outrageous efficiency whilst playing great D, they might not be interested.

But I would take that deal and run to the hills. Bridges would be a great efficient #2, and would be a formidable defender alongside White, Tatum & Smart.

Figured it was a pipedream but that'd be my #1 target in a JB trade. Then maybe KAT, I guess.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #112 on: May 30, 2023, 08:04:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3009

Figured it was a pipedream but that'd be my #1 target in a JB trade. Then maybe KAT, I guess.

I’d still float it to them. Bridges is clearly not a number one, and I think Brown is technically still younger than Bridges. But Bridges woukd be a perfect number two behind JT.

« Reply #113 on: May 30, 2023, 08:11:44 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Let's Go Celtics!

I’d still float it to them. Bridges is clearly not a number one, and I think Brown is technically still younger than Bridges. But Bridges woukd be a perfect number two behind JT.

It does get interesting if they don't believe in Ben Simmons or don't feel good about his value. We could offer Brown + Brodgon's expiring in exchange for Mikal + the last 2 years of Ben's deal.

EDIT: Nvm. I thought Malcolm's deal was expiring. It's not.
2021 Houston Rockets

« Reply #114 on: May 31, 2023, 05:21:12 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Houston

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason

Does Tari Eason have any offensive game?

I thought he was a defense-only player. I do not know his game well.
I think so, yes. I like his driving game and ability to finish inside, and he is an incredible offensive rebounder (better offensive rebound % than Jarrett Allen this season, for example).

I previously said OG Anunoby, and that was a bit of a mistaken comparison on my behalf. I think Shawn Marion is a bit more his style - not necessarily a super skilled offensive game, but hyper athletic with the potential to be the best wing defender in the competition.

« Reply #115 on: May 31, 2023, 05:23:01 AM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

I still think it could be worked out if it were expanded. Send them Smart as well, send DFS back to us.

« Reply #116 on: June 02, 2023, 10:12:29 AM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 770
A version of the trade above:

Rockets - Brown, Rob Williams
Celtics - Smith Jr., OG, Van Fleet
Raptors - Green, Pritchard, 4th pick, 2024 Brooklyn pick (protected 1-10)

Rockets do this trade if they have a verbal with Harden. I think they then need to chase after a guy like Capella as well (should have the space). Harden-Brown-Porter Jr.-Eason-Capella with Martin, Tate, and Sengun off the bench. I think that's a fringe playoff team with Ime as a coach.

Raptors move toward a mini-rebuild after Nurse leaves. They land a top-tier shot creation talent in Green. Pritchard gives them value as a floor-spacer they desperately need in their lineup and gives them some upside at guard. They also get the 4th pick and the Brooklyn pick next year, which they can use to fill their roster with young talent around Siakim, Green, and Barnes.

Celtics replace their All-NBA wing with a solid point guard and solid two-way wing. They also get an upside big man. Admittedly, this is a great return to Brown, but I also think he's worth something close to this, and that the Celtics should not settle for anything less than two solid playoff rotation pieces and a prospect (or valuable draft pick).
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 01:35:46 PM by DefenseWinsChamps »

« Reply #117 on: June 02, 2023, 02:54:31 PM »

Offline NHHillbilly

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
The last few years have made it look like the tandem of Tatum and Brown is just a little short of championship Caliber. They are contenders, and if either figures out how to be more "clutch" they will have a chance to win: but it will always depend on luck and playing better.
It is scary to think the team will give supermax to both Tatum and Brown and always be just short of championships. So trading Brown, because of his redundancy with Tatum in terms of shots taken, should be considered.
But trading Brown just to trade him will not get the Celtics to a championship. It only makes sense to trade him for someone almost as good who is more complementary to Tatum's game. The trouble is that anyone as good or better than Brown is All NBA and not likely to be traded.
Lillard, Fox and maybe Beal or MItchell might fit better with Tatum as shot creating great scoring guards.
Karl Anthony Towns or Randle might be a better fit as good shooting power forwards.
Horford is really the best fit for Tatum, but I don't see any young guys who can defend the way Horford has.
The one player not mentioned in this thread is Zion Williamson. Williamson is an injury risk, but Williamson is one player who could say, "Sorry you hurt your ankle Tatum, but just give the ball to me and I'll knock down all five of those guys and dunk it." So I would consider trading Brown for Williamson to maybe get some championships instead of just coming close. New Orleans has a really good team even with Williamson sitting: Brown could potentially make them contenders.

« Reply #118 on: June 02, 2023, 03:53:11 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 580

Portland
Boston gets: Damian Lillard + Trendon Watford

Portland gets: Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart + Payton Pritchard + 2 1st round picks

Boston team is as below:
Lillard / Brogdon
White / Hauser
Tatum / Gallinari
Horford / G Williams / Watford
R Williams / Muscala / Kornet

Houston

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason

Atlanta
Boston gets: De'Andre Hunter + Bogdan Bogdanovic + Saddiq Bey + Wendell Carter Jr

Atlanta gets: Jaylen Brown + Gary Harris

Orlando gets: Marcus Smart + Jalen Johnson

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Bogdanovic / Brogdon
Tatum / Bey
Horford / Hunter / Gallinari
Carter Jr. / R Williams / G Williams

These just spring to mind immediately.

The last two deals are legitimately awful for Boston. Like they'd be better off just trading him for draft picks because at least you could, in theory, flip those for a future star maybe.

The first is not happening because Brown will never agree to re-sign on a Portland team that doesn't have Lillard, so Portland isnt doing that trade.
I disagree, but that is probably due to my high rating of Sengun, Eason, Hunter, Bey and Carter Jr. I think all 4 will be high level starter-level players for a while, with Sengun looking at All-Star level talent.
He is the kind of Sabonis-esque offensive big that will replace Horford's passing and screening. I also think Tari Eason is bound for several All-Defence teams. Those deals are obviously not flashy star acquisitions, but they make us a much more balanced and deeper team. I don't think you need two All-NBA guys (esp. if one is very flawed) if you have an incredible supporting cast.

I didn't realise you had a personal knowledge of Jaylen's inner motivations. Please do tell us more about where he'll re-sign! I'm sure CBS would love to hear it.

Its just pretty simple logic my man. There's no real reason for him to re-sign with a terrible Portland team when he'll be a free agent in a year and have his pick of teams. His contract is not extendable for CBA reasons, Portland isn't a big or famous market. There just doesn't seem to be any reason he'd re-sign there.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 04:00:48 PM by keevsnick »

« Reply #119 on: June 02, 2023, 04:08:39 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 891
Its just pretty simple logic my man. There's no real reason for him to re-sign with a terrible Portland team when he'll be a free agent in a year and have his pick of teams.

Portland (for example) would be able to sign him for more money and more years than anyone else.  That is one "real reason" for him to resign with Portland or what ever team he was traded to.  It is just not possible to declare definitively that you know he would never resign in Portland.  It would be a risk for any team trading for him, we all get that.  But it is simply factually incorrect to say there is "no reason".  I think that is the kind of statement that sparks the defensive responses from people. 

It is fair game to debate and have opinions on posted trade ideas.  Your opinion is that he would not resign in Portland.  I don't really want to trade for Lillard in any case but I don't feel it is out of the realm of possibility that Portland would blow it up and if you do that, starting with Brown is not a bad place to start.  If you resign him, he is your center piece, if not, you have cap space.  Or you can wait until Lillard retires.  No perfect options.