Author Topic: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas  (Read 37714 times)

Re: Jaylen Brown trade Ideas
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2023, 04:20:16 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2576
The last few years have made it look like the tandem of Tatum and Brown is just a little short of championship Caliber. They are contenders, and if either figures out how to be more "clutch" they will have a chance to win: but it will always depend on luck and playing better.
It is scary to think the team will give supermax to both Tatum and Brown and always be just short of championships. So trading Brown, because of his redundancy with Tatum in terms of shots taken, should be considered.
But trading Brown just to trade him will not get the Celtics to a championship. It only makes sense to trade him for someone almost as good who is more complementary to Tatum's game. The trouble is that anyone as good or better than Brown is All NBA and not likely to be traded.
Lillard, Fox and maybe Beal or MItchell might fit better with Tatum as shot creating great scoring guards.
Karl Anthony Towns or Randle might be a better fit as good shooting power forwards.
Horford is really the best fit for Tatum, but I don't see any young guys who can defend the way Horford has.
The one player not mentioned in this thread is Zion Williamson. Williamson is an injury risk, but Williamson is one player who could say, "Sorry you hurt your ankle Tatum, but just give the ball to me and I'll knock down all five of those guys and dunk it." So I would consider trading Brown for Williamson to maybe get some championships instead of just coming close. New Orleans has a really good team even with Williamson sitting: Brown could potentially make them contenders.

Zion is a monster and if he were a healthy monster I’d love him on this team. Doesn’t appear that he’s able to avoid injury. Seems like short career is likely.

My head keeps going back to Derrick White.  Why not DW as the PG-floor general many here are seeking???
Always in the game/alert, great size, BBIQ is strong, makes few mistakes, isn’t a slow down player - could push his teammates when they start to let up. Consistent. Plays D and stays healthy.

If DW could be that guy - who is available for a JB/Smart package? I don’t love the idea of trading Jaylen - but for the right big….

« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2023, 05:57:54 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
After some thinking I don't believe that Lillard, Young, Beal or Towns are longterm solutions, since it won't solve the financial congestion. Many may disagree with me on the fit and or quality problem of Brown, but the new CBA constraints can't be denied. Basically when you get over the second tax apron you can't do anything, it functions as a hard cap.

Again to paint the picture of how it would look like if we had Brown and Tatum on supermaxes imagine the current team without the first core guys we won't resign because of the financial implications. That would be White, Brogdon and Horford. So then you'll have the hypothetic situation of Tatum, Brown + two good role players (Smart and Timelord?) + vets/rookies.

It's not the road that I want to take. Brown is not a 'second' superstar. Not even close (comparisons: Wade, Bryant).

The teams that I have as serious potential trading partners are Cleveland, Memphis, Houston and Brooklyn.
Now Cleveland is super interesting with a swap of Garland and Brown as basis. The Morant situation is something to monitor. If Houston signs Harden they'd jump on us with their young talent. And the Nets have Bridges who I don't think they'd want to deal, but if we take on Simmons that would change everything.

To Boston: Garland, Okoro  (starters: Garland/White/Hauser/Tatum/Williams + Brogdon)
To Cleveland: Brown, Smart  (Mitchell/Smart/Brown/Mobley/Allen)

To Boston: Morant, Adams, Kennard, Aldama  (starters: Morant/White/Hauser/Tatum/Adams + Brogdon, Williams)
To Memphis: Brown, Smart, Horford, Gallinari  (Smart/Bane/Brown/Jackson Jr/Horford)

To Boston: Sengun, Eason + filler? (three team trade?)  (starters: White/Smart?/Tatum/Williams/Sengun + Brogdon)
To Houston: Brown + more?

To Boston: Bridges, Simmons, O'Neale + #21 + '27 PHX 1st  (starters: White/Bridges/Tatum/Simmons/Horford + Williams)
To Brooklyn: Brown, Smart, Brogdon, Gallinari  (Smart/Brogdon/Brown/Johnson/Claxton + Dinwiddie)

There are a couple of star players in the 25+ age group I'd love to see in green, but that's not happening (Jokic, Booker, Gilqeous-Alexander, Doncic). So my focus would be on the next generation playmakers: Morant, Garland, Haliburton, Ball. If we could nap one of them we'd be set for the future.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 06:16:36 PM by RodyTur10 »

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2023, 06:42:18 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
Going to be a very long offseason filled with lots of Brown trade ideas. I am going to collate a few of my favourites and post below.

Portland
Boston gets: Damian Lillard + Trendon Watford

Portland gets: Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart + Payton Pritchard + 2 1st round picks

Boston team is as below:
Lillard / Brogdon
White / Hauser
Tatum / Gallinari
Horford / G Williams / Watford
R Williams / Muscala / Kornet

Houston
Boston gets: Alperen Sengun + Tari Eason + Kenyon Martin Jr.

Houston gets: Jaylen Brown

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason
Horford / Gallinari / G Williams
Sengun / R Williams / G Williams

Atlanta
Boston gets: De'Andre Hunter + Bogdan Bogdanovic + Saddiq Bey + Wendell Carter Jr

Atlanta gets: Jaylen Brown + Gary Harris

Orlando gets: Marcus Smart + Jalen Johnson

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Bogdanovic / Brogdon
Tatum / Bey
Horford / Hunter / Gallinari
Carter Jr. / R Williams / G Williams

These just spring to mind immediately.

The last two deals are legitimately awful for Boston. Like they'd be better off just trading him for draft picks because at least you could, in theory, flip those for a future star maybe.

The first is not happening because Brown will never agree to re-sign on a Portland team that doesn't have Lillard, so Portland isnt doing that trade.
I disagree, but that is probably due to my high rating of Sengun, Eason, Hunter, Bey and Carter Jr. I think all 4 will be high level starter-level players for a while, with Sengun looking at All-Star level talent.
He is the kind of Sabonis-esque offensive big that will replace Horford's passing and screening. I also think Tari Eason is bound for several All-Defence teams. Those deals are obviously not flashy star acquisitions, but they make us a much more balanced and deeper team. I don't think you need two All-NBA guys (esp. if one is very flawed) if you have an incredible supporting cast.

I didn't realise you had a personal knowledge of Jaylen's inner motivations. Please do tell us more about where he'll re-sign! I'm sure CBS would love to hear it.

Its just pretty simple logic my man. There's no real reason for him to re-sign with a terrible Portland team when he'll be a free agent in a year and have his pick of teams. His contract is not extendable for CBA reasons, Portland isn't a big or famous market. There just doesn't seem to be any reason he'd re-sign there.
Logic would dictate that good players worth lots of money would leave their routinely bad teams. It just so happens that the reality is often the opposite.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2023, 06:43:07 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
After some thinking I don't believe that Lillard, Young, Beal or Towns are longterm solutions, since it won't solve the financial congestion. Many may disagree with me on the fit and or quality problem of Brown, but the new CBA constraints can't be denied. Basically when you get over the second tax apron you can't do anything, it functions as a hard cap.

Again to paint the picture of how it would look like if we had Brown and Tatum on supermaxes imagine the current team without the first core guys we won't resign because of the financial implications. That would be White, Brogdon and Horford. So then you'll have the hypothetic situation of Tatum, Brown + two good role players (Smart and Timelord?) + vets/rookies.

It's not the road that I want to take. Brown is not a 'second' superstar. Not even close (comparisons: Wade, Bryant).

The teams that I have as serious potential trading partners are Cleveland, Memphis, Houston and Brooklyn.
Now Cleveland is super interesting with a swap of Garland and Brown as basis. The Morant situation is something to monitor. If Houston signs Harden they'd jump on us with their young talent. And the Nets have Bridges who I don't think they'd want to deal, but if we take on Simmons that would change everything.

To Boston: Garland, Okoro  (starters: Garland/White/Hauser/Tatum/Williams + Brogdon)

To Boston: Morant, Adams, Kennard, Aldama  (starters: Morant/White/Hauser/Tatum/Adams + Brogdon, Williams)
To Memphis: Brown, Smart, Horford, Gallinari  (Smart/Bane/Brown/Jackson Jr/Horford)

To Boston: Sengun, Eason + filler? (three team trade?)  (starters: White/Smart?/Tatum/Williams/Sengun + Brogdon)

To Boston: Bridges, Simmons, O'Neale + #21 + '27 PHX 1st  (starters: White/Bridges/Tatum/Simmons/Horford + Williams)
To Brooklyn: Brown, Smart, Brogdon, Gallinari  (Smart/Brogdon/Brown/Johnson/Claxton + Dinwiddie)

There are a couple of star players in the 25+ age group I'd love to see in green, but that's not happening (Jokic, Booker, Gilqeous-Alexander, Doncic). So my focus would be on the next generation playmakers: Morant, Garland, Haliburton, Ball. If we could nap one of them we'd be set for the future.
I'd love the Brooklyn one if we cut out Simmons & Brogdon as part of it.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2023, 07:16:23 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

I'd love the Brooklyn one if we cut out Simmons & Brogdon as part of it.

A way to make the salaries work is with Joe Harris.

New proposal:

To Boston: Bridges + O'Neale + Harris
To Brooklyn: Brown + Smart + Gallinari

rotation: White/Bridges/Hauser/Tatum/R.Williams (+ Pritchard/Brogdon/Harris/O'Neale/Horford)

And I'm going to expand the Houston trade with Dallas. That Houston deal would clear so much salary that we can help Dallas offload some contracts to us (such that they can resign Irving, Wood, Powell) in exchange for a pick.

New proposal:

To Boston: Sengun + Eason + Hardaway + Bertans + #10
To Houston: Brown
To Dallas: Smart + Muscala + Gallinari

rotation: White/Brogdon/Tatum/R.Williams/Sengun (+ Pritchard/Hardaway/Hauser/Eason/Horford and #10)

« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2023, 07:19:49 PM »

Offline smokeablount

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 629
  • Mark Blount often got smoked
Agree that’s too much for Lillard, especially given the age difference.

I think a Towns trade should be considered, too. Not sold on him, but I like the idea better than giving an incomplete player like JB the largest contract in NBA history.

And I think the Minny trade could make sense, too. Towns doesn’t fit alongside Gobert, and JB would seemingly fit next to Edwards as a 3 (and is seemingly close to Edwards). For us, Towns provides a versatile big either as a 4 or smaller ball 5, and he fits Tatum’s timeline.

I think a Cleveland Garland swap could make sense for both sides, too, as well as Siakam being a possibility.

All this will be predicated on JB being potentially interested in the destination, though.

I'd be interested in a KAT swap because I think JT with an elite pick & pop big could be something. Towns is also an underrated playmaker. I just wonder if JB would fit next to Edwards?

I just posted in the KAT Idea thread that KAT is highly flawed but this is intriguing. I also think KAT Tatum could be something, specifically the 2nd best offensive 2 man duo behind Jokic/Murray. They should be able to interact and play off each other which JB and Tatum just don't.

I'm watching Jokic/Murray shred everyone up and they aren't great on D. Tatum is much better than either on D. And the Nugget's defenders are worse than the Celtics supporting staff. Aaron Gordon is the 2nd best defender in the Nuggets starters; he's improved, but that's not overly impressive.

Tatum and Towns aren't Jokic but both can shoot, dribble and pass quite well for their position and size. What I want to know is can KAT and Rob play together, with KAT playing center and Rob playing free safety.

A Tatum-KAT-Rob frontcourt, flanked by a guard trio of Smart Brogdon and White, could be really good.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2023, 09:38:25 PM by smokeablount »
2023 Non-Active / Non-NBA75 Fantasy Draft, ChiBulls:

PG: Deron Williams 07-08 / M.R. Richardson 80-81 / J. Wall 16-17
SG: David Thompson 77-78 / Hersey Hawkins 96-97
SF: Tracy McGrady 02-03 / Tayshaun Prince 06-07
PF: Larry Nance Sr 91-92 / Blake Griffin 13-14
C: Bob Lanier 76-77 / Brad Daugherty 92-93 / M. Camby 06-07

« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2023, 09:08:29 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 575
Going to be a very long offseason filled with lots of Brown trade ideas. I am going to collate a few of my favourites and post below.

Portland
Boston gets: Damian Lillard + Trendon Watford

Portland gets: Jaylen Brown + Marcus Smart + Payton Pritchard + 2 1st round picks

Boston team is as below:
Lillard / Brogdon
White / Hauser
Tatum / Gallinari
Horford / G Williams / Watford
R Williams / Muscala / Kornet

Houston
Boston gets: Alperen Sengun + Tari Eason + Kenyon Martin Jr.

Houston gets: Jaylen Brown

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Smart / Brogdon
Tatum / Eason
Horford / Gallinari / G Williams
Sengun / R Williams / G Williams

Atlanta
Boston gets: De'Andre Hunter + Bogdan Bogdanovic + Saddiq Bey + Wendell Carter Jr

Atlanta gets: Jaylen Brown + Gary Harris

Orlando gets: Marcus Smart + Jalen Johnson

Boston team is as below:
White / Pritchard
Bogdanovic / Brogdon
Tatum / Bey
Horford / Hunter / Gallinari
Carter Jr. / R Williams / G Williams

These just spring to mind immediately.

The last two deals are legitimately awful for Boston. Like they'd be better off just trading him for draft picks because at least you could, in theory, flip those for a future star maybe.

The first is not happening because Brown will never agree to re-sign on a Portland team that doesn't have Lillard, so Portland isnt doing that trade.
I disagree, but that is probably due to my high rating of Sengun, Eason, Hunter, Bey and Carter Jr. I think all 4 will be high level starter-level players for a while, with Sengun looking at All-Star level talent.
He is the kind of Sabonis-esque offensive big that will replace Horford's passing and screening. I also think Tari Eason is bound for several All-Defence teams. Those deals are obviously not flashy star acquisitions, but they make us a much more balanced and deeper team. I don't think you need two All-NBA guys (esp. if one is very flawed) if you have an incredible supporting cast.

I didn't realise you had a personal knowledge of Jaylen's inner motivations. Please do tell us more about where he'll re-sign! I'm sure CBS would love to hear it.

Its just pretty simple logic my man. There's no real reason for him to re-sign with a terrible Portland team when he'll be a free agent in a year and have his pick of teams. His contract is not extendable for CBA reasons, Portland isn't a big or famous market. There just doesn't seem to be any reason he'd re-sign there.
Logic would dictate that good players worth lots of money would leave their routinely bad teams. It just so happens that the reality is often the opposite.

Dude, what are you talking about. Teams being bad is LITERALLY the #1 reason we have a ton of player movement in the NBA. We have stars force their way off bad teams all the time.

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2023, 09:09:32 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
I am not sold on Sengun as the main piece in a trade package for Jaylen Brown. I see Sengun's value closer to guys like Smart or D White than Jaylen.

I see upside there but it is still for a center who struggles defensively and has limited range on his jump-shot and scoring ability. The passing is wonderful. The rebounding is strong. The interior scoring is good. But I see this guy more as a 3rd option. He would have to make a major jump offensively as a scorer (shot creation or shooting ability) to be more than that. His upside defensively is low due to limited physical capabilities. If Sengun was strong defensively, being a 3rd option on offense would be fine but he is not strong defensively nor likely to ever be strong defensively.

I want something more than that as the main piece in a package for Jaylen. I see Sengun's upside as being similar to D Sabonis. I wouldn't trade Jaylen for Sabonis. Sabonis level performance is not even a sure thing for Sengun. He has a good shot at it but there is also significant risk that he doesn't reach that level. So not even a sure thing like Sabonis who I already would not trade Jaylen for.

I do like Sengun as a trade target. I'd go after him with Smart or D White plus picks rather than Jaylen though.

« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2023, 09:13:37 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I am not sold on Sengun as the main piece in a trade package for Jaylen Brown. I see Sengun's value closer to guys like Smart or D White than Jaylen.

I see upside there but it is still for a center who struggles defensively and has limited range on his jump-shot and scoring ability. The passing is wonderful. The rebounding is strong. The interior scoring is good. But I see this guy more as a 3rd option. He would have to make a major jump offensively as a scorer (shot creation or shooting ability) to be more than that. His upside defensively is low due to limited physical capabilities.

I want something more than that as the main piece in a package for Jaylen.

I do like Sengun as a trade target. I'd go after him with Smart or D White plus picks rather than Jaylen though.

Sengun just isn't the center type that does anything more me. He's a nice rebounder, can do some handoff stuff, but isn't a rim protection, can't switch at all, and hasn't shown much range on his shot yet. He puts up numbers on a bad team but not sure it helps you in a deep playoff run.

« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2023, 09:17:01 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith

New proposal:

rotation: White/Bridges/Hauser/Tatum/R.Williams (+ Pritchard/Brogdon/Harris/O'Neale/Horford)

What does Mikal Bridges do for Boston that Jaylen doesn't?

Bridges seems quite similar to Jaylen in most ways. A bit more efficient? Less turnovers?

How confident are we that Bridges will still be a 25ppg threat when playing on a team with more scoring options? Playing behind Tatum? Will his scoring drop-off? Will he be a 20ppg threat instead of a 25ppg guy? Or will he be a 15ppg like he was in Phoenix playing behind Booker and CP3?

Bridges has only really had a half a season of high volume scoring. Phoenix tried increasing his role offensively both this season and last season with limited success. They couldn't get him to be as effective as a scorer in Phoenix as he was in Brooklyn despite trying to get him more involved. That makes me nervous about how well Bridges' scoring will translate to another team.

« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2023, 10:20:01 PM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff

New proposal:

What does Mikal Bridges do for Boston that Jaylen doesn't?  Bridges isn't going to ask for a supermax

Bridges seems quite similar to Jaylen in most ways. A bit more efficient? Less turnovers?  Less turnovers and better defense

How confident are we that Bridges will still be a 25ppg threat when playing on a team with more scoring options?

We don't need Bridges to score 25ppg. In fact Brown would be more valuable to the Celtics if he scored less and put more effort in other attributes of the game.

Playing behind Tatum? Will his scoring drop-off? Will he be a 20ppg threat instead of a 25ppg guy? Or will he be a 15ppg like he was in Phoenix playing behind Booker and CP3?

In Brooklyn it has become clear that Bridges is comfortable in taking more shots. But I don't think he really cares much.

Bridges has only really had a half a season of high volume scoring. Phoenix tried increasing his role offensively both this season and last season with limited success. They couldn't get him to be as effective as a scorer in Phoenix as he was in Brooklyn despite trying to get him more involved. That makes me nervous about how well Bridges' scoring will translate to another team.

There are over 120 players who scored more points per game this season than White. But less than a third of them are better players. We focus too much on individual scoring numbers.

Bridges is a well rounded player and he doesn't have to score Brooklyn numbers to bring the same value. We shouldn't be looking for an equal "scorer" replacement for Brown.

It's one of the big problems of this current team that the stars (in particular Brown and Smart) take too many shots, while other less assertive players get underutilized. It's addition by substraction.

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2023, 10:33:02 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
Mikal Bridges saw his FG% drop (playoff numbers) from 47-48% in Phoenix as a 11-13ppg guy to 43% in Brooklyn as a 23ppg scorer.

He saw his TS% drop (again, all playoff numbers) from 60% at 11ppg to 57% at 13ppg to 53% in Brooklyn as a 23ppg scorer.

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2023, 10:49:35 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
All the Brown trades are too risky.  The fact is winning a championship is super competitive and most of the people available aren't going to win us a title either. 

KAT or Ayton will get run out of town.

Bridges will regress to the mean.

The fun one is to Portland for the #3 and Simons or Grant.  I think Scoot and Grant, then flipping Smart for a big would be my move but it could easily backfire.  It would just be fun as hell

« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2023, 11:35:34 PM »

Offline green_bballers13

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 324
I would be ok trading Jaylen to Portland for Jerami Grant and the #3 pick. I prefer Scoot over Brandon Miller, which is good because Charlotte already has a PG.

Jaylen is very talented, but I don't think I can watch him turn the ball over 8 times again in a playoff game. I think his defense isn't as good as it's been. I don't like him on the supermax.

Give the keys to Tatum officially. Let White play more minutes and develop Scoot behind Marcus. Figure out how to get another legit big man to start, allowing Horford and Williams to come off the bench with their age and injury concerns.

« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2023, 11:48:28 PM »

Offline keevsnick

• Rajon Rondo
I would be ok trading Jaylen to Portland for Jerami Grant and the #3 pick. I prefer Scoot over Brandon Miller, which is good because Charlotte already has a PG.

Jaylen is very talented, but I don't think I can watch him turn the ball over 8 times again in a playoff game. I think his defense isn't as good as it's been. I don't like him on the supermax.

Give the keys to Tatum officially. Let White play more minutes and develop Scoot behind Marcus. Figure out how to get another legit big man to start, allowing Horford and Williams to come off the bench with their age and injury concerns.

Jerami grant is not under contract, he's a free agent this summer. A S&T doesn't work either because of salary apron issues. Simons would need to be the matching salary, but that's besides the point because the c's are trading Brown to draft a 19 year old who might take 4 years to mature and contribute.