Author Topic: Celtics (2-1) at 76ers (1-2) Round 2 Game #4 5/7/23  (Read 31857 times)

Re: Celtics (2-1) at 76ers (1-2) Round 2 Game #4 5/7/23
« Reply #960 on: May 08, 2023, 12:23:28 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993
Joe shoulda called a TO at the end of regulation.  We needed one point to win, not a 3.

Joe shoulda emphasized NO helping off of Harden or anyone at the 3.  Play straight up D and force them to tie.

Joe should called a TO at the end of OT.  I really believe it's arrogant on his part.  As if he wanted to be able to say "I trust my guys" in the post game conference. 

Just dumb coaching.  He needs to put them in a better position to win.  That's on him.

The lack of timeouts is to keep the mismatches on the floor. Harden is likely not on the court if Joe calls a timeout either time there, and the Sixers likely have a plan to double or catch the Celtics flat-footed right away on the catch.

I think no TO was the right move at the end of regulation. It's something both Brad and Ime did a lot. I'm not sure if this was the right move on the last play of the game, but their offense was doing really well attacking mismatches down the stretch and I liked the look they got (just too late). I'm not sure I like our chances any better if we have an inbounds play with 4 seconds left, those are very tough to execute. And an ATO with no shot clock and 16 seconds left is likely very similar to what ended up happening (dribble the clock out at the top of the key and get some PnR action).

Completely disagree. This team all year has consistently showed that they’re not capable of free-flowing that kind of offense in an end-game scenario, specifically due to being too slow to get into their actions. This has happened a handful of times this year, most memorably on the Knicks loss and I think Heat loss.

With a TO, you can have a set play and designate a specific time to start the action. It’s standard coaching 1:01 in that kind of end-game scenario, especially useful for a team like us that struggles in those situations. And getting Harden off the floor is a small price to pay for that.

And that’s not even talking about when the action was starting slow and his failure to recognize that and call the timeout then. You ABSOLUTELY call the timeout in that scenario, probably around 7 or 8 seconds when you see nothing is materializing of progressing.

But Joe is just not competent or experienced enough for that. And though he likes to talk a big game, I think a lot of it is his insecurity about himself and lack of experience tgat leads to some decision paralysis. He’s just absolutely not demonstrated sufficient competence to be the coach of the title favorites in the NBA. Not even close. He should be starting on a team like the Pistons and getting several years under his belt before coaching a title contender.

« Reply #961 on: May 08, 2023, 12:31:03 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993
Tough situation for Jaylen there on that double team. Tatum was overmatched by Embiid in the post, Embiid had worked his way into the paint and could shoot over Tatum easily enough. There was nobody else on that side of the floor except for Jaylen. Nobody who get that double team over in time.

That is a tough call ... whether to stay with Harden or go down and double.

I'm not sure that is an open and shut case of a mistake by Jaylen to go down and double team. If that was Horford or Rob Williams in the post against Embiid, yeah I'd say stay home ... but Tatum? Hmm ...

Naw, that’s absolutely a clear call to stay with your man in that situation. You absolutely have to stay home on the three point shooters in a two point scenario, even if you give up a decent look for a two on the mismatch.

What I want to know is how did Tatum end up on Embiid? I had the game on my phone while I was driving back from vacation, so was mainly listening. But someone reported that Tatum started on Embiid for some reason. If so, that’s another highly questionable decision.

EDIT: looks like they had Smart on him originally, who the forced a switch  with Tatum. Not exactly sure why you wouldn’t have Horford on him there and do all you can to not allow him to be screened off of him, especially as good as he was on him all night. Seems like another questionable Joe decision that was exacerbated by a dumb JB decision.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/05/a-puzzling-decision-led-to-key-jaylen-brown-gaffe-in-celtics-game-4-loss.html
« Last Edit: May 08, 2023, 12:47:05 AM by jpotter33 »

« Reply #962 on: May 08, 2023, 12:36:39 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 1034
Just wish we got a Jimmy Butler type player who has that killer-mindset.  :(

#JTJB (Just Trade Jaylen Brown)
#JFJM (Just Fire Joe Mazzulla)

« Reply #963 on: May 08, 2023, 01:20:30 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
Tough situation for Jaylen there on that double team. Tatum was overmatched by Embiid in the post, Embiid had worked his way into the paint and could shoot over Tatum easily enough. There was nobody else on that side of the floor except for Jaylen. Nobody who get that double team over in time.

That is a tough call ... whether to stay with Harden or go down and double.

I'm not sure that is an open and shut case of a mistake by Jaylen to go down and double team. If that was Horford or Rob Williams in the post against Embiid, yeah I'd say stay home ... but Tatum? Hmm ...

Naw, that’s absolutely a clear call to stay with your man in that situation. You absolutely have to stay home on the three point shooters in a two point scenario, even if you give up a decent look for a two on the mismatch.

What I want to know is how did Tatum end up on Embiid? I had the game on my phone while I was driving back from vacation, so was mainly listening. But someone reported that Tatum started on Embiid for some reason. If so, that’s another highly questionable decision.

EDIT: looks like they had Smart on him originally, who the forced a switch  with Tatum. Not exactly sure why you wouldn’t have Horford on him there and do all you can to not allow him to be screened off of him, especially as good as he was on him all night. Seems like another questionable Joe decision that was exacerbated by a dumb JB decision.

https://www.masslive.com/celtics/2023/05/a-puzzling-decision-led-to-key-jaylen-brown-gaffe-in-celtics-game-4-loss.html

A Gregg Popovich-led team would not have let this happened, he'll regroup with his teams, and if it did happened the players will be disciplined and Pop will work them out during practice next day.

Joe Shmuck on the other hand will just say "oh oops but we need to shoot more 3s that's the more important thing, outscore their 3s with our 3s. Don't care about timeouts or playing defense, the boys will figure it out themselves on court during live ball."  ::)

« Reply #964 on: May 08, 2023, 01:34:45 AM »

Online SparzWizard

• JoJo White
This is what should have at least unfolded- Celts are down 1 with 18 seconds. You want to maximize your opportunities to score so you call time to inbound in the frontcourt and retain all 18 seconds. Plenty of options to get a good shot. Hopefully, it takes no more than 10-12 seconds to get that shot. If you miss, you have the possibility of a put back, or you foul, wait for them to sink 1 or 2 FTs and still have time on the clock. You have another timeout to call after the free throws with a chance to tie or take the lead.

Joe "Matt Patricia" Mazzulla blew it with the no timeout call. Oh, and Smart walking down the court with the ball until like 7 seconds left. WHY

« Reply #965 on: May 08, 2023, 06:16:59 AM »

Online CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 354
I didn’t have a problem with not calling time out because I like the idea of the Sixers not being able to get their defensive unit in.  However, even after the press conference, it’s clear Tatum didn’t understand the situation.  He thought the only issue was that he needed to get it to Smart a second earlier.  That’s not true.  They needed to take a shot early enough that if they missed, they could either go for a rebound or foul to give themselves another chance.  Smart obviously didn’t understand that either with how slow he walked the ball up the floor. You’d like to think the players have the in-game awareness, but you also hope the coach drills it into them during the time out.  Joe was mic’d up earlier telling them to crash them at the 3-pt line, so Jaylen obviously didn’t remember that one

« Reply #966 on: May 08, 2023, 06:22:44 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't think Mazulla blew it with no time out because quite frankly he has been horrible after time outs. 

The fact that we can't run a play and resort to one on one ball with a star shot is silly. create a mismatch and attack it.

I understand our guys not wanting to attack the rim, as we get few calls in this situation.

I think Embiid is looking worse as the games wanes on, he is the best player on the planet for 2.5 quarters.   Then he is dragging his leg the rest of the game.   That is when we need to run a lot.

A Gregg Popovich-led team would not have let this happened, he'll regroup with his teams, and if it did happened the players will be disciplined and Pop will work them out during practice next day.

Pop won championships when he had stars.    He had decent teams the rest of his tenure.    Pop isn't coming here, nor would we want him.

« Reply #967 on: May 08, 2023, 06:42:12 AM »

Online cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 386
Last year we were down 3-2 to the bucks and willed ourselves to a game 7 win.

This loss sucks but it's 2-2 a best of 3 with 2 games in TD garden. Have to like our chances.

« Reply #968 on: May 08, 2023, 08:11:52 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC
Still angry about yesterday and still very concerned about game 5. Boston is notoriously bad in game 5's at home.

« Reply #969 on: May 08, 2023, 08:49:21 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1797
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
This is what should have at least unfolded- Celts are down 1 with 18 seconds. You want to maximize your opportunities to score so you call time to inbound in the frontcourt and retain all 18 seconds. Plenty of options to get a good shot. Hopefully, it takes no more than 10-12 seconds to get that shot. If you miss, you have the possibility of a put back, or you foul, wait for them to sink 1 or 2 FTs and still have time on the clock. You have another timeout to call after the free throws with a chance to tie or take the lead.

Joe "Matt Patricia" Mazzulla blew it with the no timeout call. Oh, and Smart walking down the court with the ball until like 7 seconds left. WHY

Weren’t the Sixers out of timeouts? Even if we did score with 4 seconds left, they would have had to go full Court without being able to set up a play.

Or even if they did have a TO, would have at least had the lead and they would have needed to score in desperation.

I am not as distraught as last night, but this is getting really frustrating. We have lost 4 games so far in these playoffs and three of them have essentially been on final possession dagger 3s by the other team’s top 1-2 players. And then to actually make the final shot only to have it not count is the worst.

« Reply #970 on: May 08, 2023, 08:54:57 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 890
I get the concern, it is a normal reaction to a disappointing missed opportunity.  But if you look at the two games in PHI in aggregate, we won by 12 and then lost by 1 in overtime.  If you consider the two games overall, we outplayed them, not by a lot, it is close, but we outplayed them overall in PHI.  Now we have a 3 game series with home court advantage.

Harden had a great game 1, went quiet for 2 games, and then was great in game 4.  Harden is a great player, one of the best of the recent era.  It is easy to forget that as he has kind of coasted through the last couple of seasons, often nursing injuries.  I am plenty concerned about Harden over these next 3 games but I think PHI has even more to be concerned about.

« Reply #971 on: May 08, 2023, 09:11:54 AM »

Offline TheTruth34

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 10
I get the concern, it is a normal reaction to a disappointing missed opportunity.  But if you look at the two games in PHI in aggregate, we won by 12 and then lost by 1 in overtime.  If you consider the two games overall, we outplayed them, not by a lot, it is close, but we outplayed them overall in PHI.  Now we have a 3 game series with home court advantage.

Harden had a great game 1, went quiet for 2 games, and then was great in game 4.  Harden is a great player, one of the best of the recent era.  It is easy to forget that as he has kind of coasted through the last couple of seasons, often nursing injuries.  I am plenty concerned about Harden over these next 3 games but I think PHI has even more to be concerned about.

This is a reasonable take and I tend to agree.  Both games 1 and 4 should/could have been wins.  It's frustrating but the Celtics appear to be the better team and that should show out over the next 2-3 games.

« Reply #972 on: May 08, 2023, 09:52:17 AM »

Offline celticinorlando

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 737
  • MASTER OF PANIC

This is a reasonable take and I tend to agree.  Both games 1 and 4 should/could have been wins.  It's frustrating but the Celtics appear to be the better team and that should show out over the next 2-3 games.

This is the exact situation that always trips them up. Coming home tied for a massive game 5. They were in the same spot vs the Bucks last year and lost.

Coming home this season for game 5 vs Atlanta and choked once again.

I do not trust this team when the last 2 game 5's at home they have given away.

« Reply #973 on: May 08, 2023, 10:04:42 AM »

Online Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995

This is the exact situation that always trips them up. Coming home tied for a massive game 5. They were in the same spot vs the Bucks last year and lost.

The good news is they won both of the series in your examples.

« Reply #974 on: May 08, 2023, 10:10:24 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203

The good news is they won both of the series in your examples.

I think the good news is that the Celtics defense appears to be wearing them down. JB got into Harden's head for one game and Horford got into Embiid's head last night (which besides fatigue, I always saw him as an unstoppable player).

I think if we can keep playing with a high level of defense, they'll eventually fold. We just have to take more timely timeouts and stay aggressive on offense.
Baby Jesus!