Author Topic: Fire Joe! ... or critique Joe ... or defend Joe... or worry about Joe's coaching  (Read 238563 times)

green_bballers13, mobilija and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Re: Fire Joe!
« Reply #660 on: May 20, 2023, 09:57:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
We 👏🏾 used👏🏾 to👏🏾 be 👏🏾clutch👏🏾 when👏🏾 Brad👏🏾 Stevens👏🏾 was👏🏾 head 👏🏾coach! Look up the numbers
I agree. Stevens lost the fire for coaching during the pandemic, and the locker-room reflected that. But Stevens was a really good coach for the most part. End of game execution, utilisation of innovative offensive schemes, strong defences with some oft-inadequate defensive talent, and a roster often hampered by cheap ownership (but gifted with some excellent talent acquisition from Danny).

Stevens and Udoka were both so far ahead of Mazzula it is borderline depressing. But, it makes sense. Both were hired after thorough interview processes. Stevens had legit head coaching experience, and Udoka had been a widely respected senior NBA assistant for years. Mazzulla has none of this.

Such an incredible waste.
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #661 on: May 20, 2023, 09:58:55 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Well, we are where we are. Question is, will Brad have the balls to pull the plug on Joe this summer?  He should, but something tells me he won't, and we'll be back celebrating our "we made the playoffs" trophy the next couple of seasons.

Even if Mazza stays around, the staff needs some bolstering, to put it lightly.
Particularly if/when Ime poaches Ben Sullivan

« Reply #662 on: May 20, 2023, 10:00:08 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
Season isn’t over yet but if it ends as it appears it will, Brad really has to fire Joe.  But I’m not sure he will.  Do you all think he will?

I mean, if they care about winning, they'll reassign him, maybe to Maine, maybe to the bench, maybe to player development.

I agree with this. I don't think a 34 year old needs to get fired after management made a mistake by hiring him in the first place.

Available head coaches:

-Bud
-Nurse
-Doc
-Vogel
-Monty Williams
-Kenny Atkinson

Any of those would be an upgrade.
Imagine how good Nurse or Monty Williams would be with this group, argh!

« Reply #663 on: May 20, 2023, 10:08:40 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
We 👏🏾 used👏🏾 to👏🏾 be 👏🏾clutch👏🏾 when👏🏾 Brad👏🏾 Stevens👏🏾 was👏🏾 head 👏🏾coach! Look up the numbers
I agree. Stevens lost the fire for coaching during the pandemic, and the locker-room reflected that. But Stevens was a really good coach for the most part. End of game execution, utilisation of innovative offensive schemes, strong defences with some oft-inadequate defensive talent, and a roster often hampered by cheap ownership (but gifted with some excellent talent acquisition from Danny).

Stevens and Udoka were both so far ahead of Mazzula it is borderline depressing. But, it makes sense. Both were hired after thorough interview processes. Stevens had legit head coaching experience, and Udoka had been a widely respected senior NBA assistant for years. Mazzulla has none of this.

What's worse is that they know Joe's not experienced, but they hired him believing he would adjust and keep learning how to be an NBA coach. But he doesn't sound like someone who's interested in learning. He's always defensive when reporters question his decisions, he keeps making the same mistakes (especially with using time-outs at crucial moments in the game), and it sounds like the players had been lobbying for changes in the lineup but he resisted. He's convinced every decision he makes is right. Am I being too harsh?

« Reply #664 on: May 20, 2023, 10:10:49 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

What's worse is that they know Joe's not experienced, but they hired him believing he would adjust and keep learning how to be an NBA coach. But he doesn't sound like someone who's interested in learning. He's always defensive when reporters question his decisions, he keeps making the same mistakes (especially with using time-outs at crucial moments in the game), and it sounds like the players had been lobbying for changes in the lineup but he resisted. He's convinced every decision he makes is right. Am I being too harsh?
Not harsh enough. His petulant little tantrums whenever anyone dares question his (often moronic) decision-making makes me so embarrassed. I have never cringed so hard at pressers, except maybe with Kyrie - for other reasons.

The idea of him learning and adjusting to being an NBA head coach of the best roster in the competition is so foolish in the first place too!

« Reply #665 on: May 20, 2023, 10:11:04 PM »

Offline Celtic_Pride777

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
Well, we are where we are. Question is, will Brad have the balls to pull the plug on Joe this summer?  He should, but something tells me he won't, and we'll be back celebrating our "we made the playoffs" trophy the next couple of seasons.

If Joe comes back another season, we can't just blame it all on Brad. He was hired with Tatum's input. Tatum likes him and when asked about Joe's decisions tonight he defended him. Mazzula never played in the NBA and had a good, but not remarkable, coaching career in two years in Division II basketball. I don't know what makes Mazulla any more special than Nick Nurse or Monty Williams, but everyone in this organization seems to like this guy a lot, including the players.

Where did you hear that Tatum was involved in the hiring process?

I had thought the players found out about Ime's suspension just before the media did.  There wasn't really a coaching search; it was "next man up".

Sorry. Chris Gasper mentioned it on 98.5, but I might've misunderstood him. Mazzulla has a good relationship with Tatum, and that's one reason why the front office considered promoting him. I believe that was the gist.

Wyc went on WEEI a few months back and explained how it went down. He said that one of the first people he called was Tatum and told Tatum they were going with Joe. Tatum said he’s kind of young. Wyc then said it’s a players league to Tatum let’s go out and prove that now. I’m sure you can go back and hear that on WEEI. Basically Wyc is implying that coaching is not that important. Well, that came to bite him. Maybe Tatum likes him now but not all the players do. You can tell they are tired of defending him.

Oh. I guess I was wrong. Thanks.

« Reply #666 on: May 21, 2023, 05:31:56 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 376
I mean Ainge wanted to poach Mazzulla so there has to be something there that he and Stevens saw. I dont think he's been particularly good.

But i'm not sure would they fire him after just extending him? or take the view that they need to fill his staff with experienced vet coaches and let him improve?

theres alot of guys on the market. not all these guys are going to be hired, so you could fill the staff with some vets if you don't opt to go another way.

Personally, i would go after Nick Nurse but who knows...The celtics basically can hire whatever coach they want this summer if they decide to move on from mazzulla. it would be a sought after job. Any coach in the league would want to go to the celtics. a championship calibar roster with 2 all-NBA players.

« Reply #667 on: May 21, 2023, 10:11:40 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3032
  • On To Banner 18!
Unfortunately I think we’re stuck with Joe next season too

Ownership aren’t idiots. If they knew there was a risk of an early playoff exit that they could fire Joe afterwards. The fact that they extended him seems to tell me they think he’s “learning” in his rookie year and will get a fair shot next season after a full offseason. 

Their biggest mistake was extending him around the ASB. I wonder if optics would look bad too if after the Ime incident, they hire a coach, extend him, but then fire him months later.

It’s easy for us to moan about it and not care but that’s the logic^^
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #668 on: May 21, 2023, 10:13:50 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Ownership aren’t idiots. If they knew there was a risk of an early playoff exit that they could fire Joe afterwards. The fact that they extended him seems to tell me they think he’s “learning” in his rookie year and will get a fair shot next season after a full offseason. 

Their biggest mistake was extending him around the ASB. I wonder if optics would look bad too if after the Ime incident, they hire a coach, extend him, but then fire him months later.

It is garbage logic. Keeping a clearly inept failure around for “optics”? Keeping an inexperienced junior assistant as a head coach to learn the ropes despite never going through a proper hiring process?

It’s beyond stupid to retain him. Which makes me have no doubt they will. And it will be another year down the toilet led by the worst coach in the league.

« Reply #669 on: May 21, 2023, 10:15:11 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
They need to bare minimuma find a baby sitter for 2nd row Joe, Vogel would be a home run.

« Reply #670 on: May 21, 2023, 10:15:37 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

It is garbage logic. Keeping a clearly inept failure around for “optics”? Keeping an inexperienced junior assistant as a head coach to learn the ropes despite never going through a proper hiring process?

It’s beyond stupid to retain him. Which makes me have no doubt they will. And it will be another year down the toilet led by the worst coach in the league.

Totally agree

But I predict they keep him. Again, they could have just not removed the interim tag and kept things in flow and determine things based on the postseason. Then decide for good

Not sure why they extended him though when they did.

« Reply #671 on: May 21, 2023, 10:16:58 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach

Totally agree

But I predict they keep him. Again, they could have just not removed the interim tag and kept things in flow and determine things based on the postseason.

I sadly think you’re right. Just such premature decision-making. Rushed to suspend Ime with zero transparency, and then rushed to promote his interim replacement. Beyond frustrating.

Anyone know any multi-billionaires who want to buy a basketball team?

« Reply #672 on: May 21, 2023, 10:18:42 PM »

Offline BASS_THUMPER

• Scal's #1 Fan
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 5351
  • Thumper of the BASS!

*sippin*

« Reply #673 on: May 21, 2023, 10:19:44 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Bill Russell
  • On To Banner 18!

Totally agree

But I predict they keep him. Again, they could have just not removed the interim tag and kept things in flow and determine things based on the postseason.

I sadly think you’re right. Just such premature decision-making. Rushed to suspend Ime with zero transparency, and then rushed to promote his interim replacement. Beyond frustrating.

Anyone know any multi-billionaires who want to buy a basketball team?

It also sucks because Nurse, Monty, Bud, etc (maybe even Ty Lue) are available.

And I’ll keep saying it, but I’d still love to know what exactly Ime did and to what extent it was bad, because the guy still got hired by another team less than a year later anyways

« Reply #674 on: May 21, 2023, 10:20:37 PM »

Offline goCeltics

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 68
I said it before this is what happens when you go woke