Poll

Should the NBA Ban the Charge?

Yes
No
Doesn't Matter.  I Always Pay Cash

Author Topic: Should the NBA Ban the Charge?  (Read 2761 times)

Re: Should the NBA Ban the Charge?
« Reply #30 on: April 18, 2023, 11:39:24 AM »

Offline johnnygreen

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 303
The charge is the worst rule in sports. The players and coaches have made a mockery of it and abused the rule for far too long. The spirit of the rule isn't to reward flopping.

Honestly, how many times in a game without referees, has anyone even attempted to take a charge? To me, taking a charge is basically admitting that your not good enough to defend the guy in front of you. And when a literal mannequin can do the same act, how can it be considered an athletic play.

As someone who loves the game, seeing players constantly flop to get a charge call, is flat out embarrassing. BTW, do you realize how difficult it is to knock a grown man down that is anticipating the hit. [dang] near impossible, unless the guy has about 80 pounds on you.

BTW, on the rare occasions that I watch soccer, I cringe seeing the players fall and act like they may never walk again. And the only reason why I cringe, is because the sport I love is far worse at embellishing, and I'm embarrassed.

« Reply #31 on: April 18, 2023, 01:02:05 PM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
They should just make the circle, or a circle a no foul zone.  You go in there you better be ready to brawl as it will be no holds barred, football trenches, rugby scrums, WWE rings.  Maybe they can ban chair smashes...banning the charge only would take a mostly unwatchable game and make it completely unwatchable.  Ban the block and charge and we have a game where the NFL DE's and TE's could make the lane unavailable except for the fast breaks. 

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2023, 07:57:18 PM »

Offline Big333223

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 751
I'd like to see two changes to how the rule is called (I don't know how it's written, but form I see this is how it's called):

1. The defender has the be CLEARLY set to take a charge. If the defender jumps into position after the player has picked up his dribble - and thus can't do anything to avoid the contact - the defender shouldn't be rewarded for that. He has to be established before that.

2. Stop rewarding offensive players for jumping into defenders.

That feels like a nice balance.
1957, 1959, 1960, 1961, 1962, 1963, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1974, 1976, 1981, 1984, 1986, 2008

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2023, 11:00:05 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 769
I'd like to see two changes to how the rule is called (I don't know how it's written, but form I see this is how it's called):

1. The defender has the be CLEARLY set to take a charge. If the defender jumps into position after the player has picked up his dribble - and thus can't do anything to avoid the contact - the defender shouldn't be rewarded for that. He has to be established before that.

2. Stop rewarding offensive players for jumping into defenders.

That feels like a nice balance.

Agreed.

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2023, 07:53:33 AM »

Offline michigan adam

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18
As long as you eliminate the 5 steps after the dribble is picked up I can see no huge issue there.  If the Offensive player can just euro-6 step around the fixed defender and shoot from behind him then it doesn't work.