Poll

Should the NBA Ban the Charge?

Yes
No
Doesn't Matter.  I Always Pay Cash

Author Topic: Should the NBA Ban the Charge?  (Read 2762 times)

Re: Should the NBA Ban the Charge?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2023, 04:57:59 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 4599
If there's any changes to charges, I wish it would be that the defender doesn't need to fall down to to get one called.

Right now everybody takes charges on their heels.  The Ja Morant play, I don't think he could ever knock AD off his feet if AD was trying to stay up.  With the Giannis play, even as strong as he, shouldn't be able to knock Kevin Love over like that while also sending Love back 3 feet.  I think the defender not falling down might lead to fewer injuries for the offensive player (because it's creates less of an undercut).

1) Train the refs to be able to call a charge without having to see a defender fall over.

2) Disincentivize the defenders to not fall over somehow.  +1 point for the offense for every defenders butt that hits the floor on a possession where they score.  Buckets scored on plays where the defender falls over worth double.  Blocking fouls count as 2 fouls on the defender if their butt hits the floor, etc.

Obviously these are fanciful ideas, but come up with something, I hate that defenders are encouraged/expected to fall over with contact, but I understand why because it's the only way to get a call.  Still ridiculous though, like teaching your guard dog to play dead when strangers approach.  What it would really take to knock some of these players off their feet would look more like a football circle drill if players were actually trying to stay up.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2023, 07:42:01 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 326
I don't think they should ban it, because things are already badly enough in favor of guys on offense, especially the star players. Banning charges would make things even easier for them. They need to start calling fouls on scorers who initiate contact, instead of calling those as fouls on the defense.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2023, 08:33:37 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 386
I've never seen any fan base with more excuses than Bucks fans.

Gianni's throws his body into people recklessly every game on what should be charges and gets blocking fouls. Now because he got injured we should ban it.

Should Gianni's just be allowed to run over people like he's Derrick Henry?

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2023, 08:37:51 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
Yes. Absolutely. The charge fouls are awful. The majority of the time, the offensive player is basically already in the air and the defender just slides in. Move the restricted line further up. Don’t allow the lane to be clogged. Cuts down on collisions. Cuts down on flops. Leads to more plays at the rim.

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2023, 08:47:05 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
I think they should go back to two handed bounce passes, underhand free throws and peach baskets.

« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2023, 09:08:05 PM »

Offline libermaniac

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 380
I cancelled my subscription to The Athletic. I don’t understand what they mean by banning the charge. What are the specifics of the suggestion?

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2023, 09:12:55 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
Yes. Absolutely. The charge fouls are awful. The majority of the time, the offensive player is basically already in the air and the defender just slides in. Move the restricted line further up. Don’t allow the lane to be clogged. Cuts down on collisions. Cuts down on flops. Leads to more plays at the rim.

If you do that then what's to stop Giannis from scoring 50 points a game? His game is to be athletic downhill and run over guys. You just let him score? How does someone defend that?

If you get rid of the charge, then I think you need to get rid of the block foul where the offensive player initiates the contact.

Otherwise the defenders hands are tied.

« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2023, 09:20:04 PM »

Offline CelticsWhat35

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 354
No what they need to do is strictly enforce flopping rules and provide stricter penalties

« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2023, 09:26:20 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533

If you do that then what's to stop Giannis from scoring 50 points a game? His game is to be athletic downhill and run over guys. You just let him score? How does someone defend that?

If you get rid of the charge, then I think you need to get rid of the block foul where the offensive player initiates the contact.

So because there is one singular talent in the league that is a unicorn they should not consider changing the rule? I don’t get that logic.

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2023, 09:41:39 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993

So because there is one singular talent in the league that is a unicorn they should not consider changing the rule? I don’t get that logic.

Taking away the charge call would make everyone play the exact way Giannis does. It’s hardly just about Giannis; it’s the lynchpin of the defense that stops the out of control, aggressive drives to the rim.

Would be absurd to take away the charge call without a proportional strengthening of other defensive capabilities, like hand-checking and more physical contact initiated by the defender, especially at the rim.

« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2023, 09:42:40 PM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

I can name any number of players this would benefit. If you have guys in the paint and the offensive player runs into them it's always a block then? The defender isn't entitled to their space?

The injuries weren't due to players cutting legs of guys in the air. They were due to those guys throwing their bodies at defenders who already had position.

Just trying to understand if you get rid of the charge what's to stop any offensive player from barreling into the lane into players. If there is no downside ie a charge

« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2023, 09:57:23 PM »

Online angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 618

QB's are taught to slide otherwise they'll get destroyed. The same philosophy applies to Giannis and others. If they see the lane I'd clogged or the defender has position to take the charge, make a business decision.  Pull up or pass. The league shouldn't change its rule because one superstar only knows how to dunk.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2023, 10:11:57 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

what's the logic behind changing the rules to suit one player?  bad enough there's 2 sets of rules in the game as it is -- one for superstars and one for the rest of the players

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2023, 06:41:22 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo

QB's are taught to slide otherwise they'll get destroyed. The same philosophy applies to Giannis and others. If they see the lane I'd clogged or the defender has position to take the charge, make a business decision.  Pull up or pass. The league shouldn't change its rule because one superstar only knows how to dunk.

Pretty much this...thats all this is. Most offensive players if a defensive guy has position in the paint have multiple options. pull up for a J, try and go around for a layup, pass the ball out. the defensive player IS ENTITLED TO HIS SPACE. this isn't about some guy sliding in last second.

the defensive players had position and instead of taking another play, maybe because its not in their bag Giannis/morant decided to throw their bodies right into the defensive player. so now we must ban it? then every NBA player will just barrel into the lane into guys and it will be a foul. The offensive player initiated the contact. If you take away the charge you HAVE to take away the block in the paint or basketball will just become rugby.

if this was crowder who got injured this wouldn't even be a discussion. Lebron used to play the same way, but somehow just never had injuries until recently. But he also developed his game more as years went on.

« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2023, 09:31:28 AM »

Offline timpiker

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 112
Yes!  As soon as they ban bowling over defensive players from the likes of Shaq, leBUM and Giannis.  Shaq started the crap and those other 2 have perfected it.