Poll

Where does Joe Mazzulla rank as a coach?

Top 10
21 (41.2%)
11 - 20
14 (27.5%)
21 - 30
12 (23.5%)
He's worse than many assistants would be
4 (7.8%)

Total Members Voted: 51

Author Topic: How good is Coach Maz? (Update: Interim Removed)  (Read 7252 times)

Re: How good is Coach Maz? (Update: Interim Removed)
« Reply #60 on: February 16, 2023, 11:44:51 AM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993
I think coach Maz is an excellent coach who took over a bad situation and made it work!

“Bad situation” is an overstatement.

Yes, he was thrown in there on short notice due to the Ime situation, but he was gift wrapped the best roster in the league who has been the favorite for the title since day one. That’s hardly that bad of a situation.

I think the team’s success and highly talented roster definitely have covered up some of his mistakes and inexperience. On the flip side, I do think some of his mistakes have been magnified due to when they occurred at the end of games, and I and others have probably been a bit too hard on him given the timing and visibility of his mistakes, which are at least explainable as a first year coach.

I think he’s a decent coach, but it’s hard to really judge how good of a coach he is given the roster he was given. Hopefully he continues to improve moving forward, as I definitely have seen improvements. But he’s still got a long way to go regarding in-game management before many of us are truly comfortable with him leading us in the playoffs.

« Reply #61 on: February 16, 2023, 11:51:17 AM »

Offline angryguy77

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 618
If we flame out in the ECF, it will be interesting to see this thread revisited.
Hopefully we won't, hopefully he proves some like me had bad takes over the year.
Still don't believe in Joe.

« Reply #62 on: February 16, 2023, 12:12:40 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1492
I think coach Maz is an excellent coach who took over a bad situation and made it work!

Yes, he was thrown in there on short notice due to the Ime situation, but he was gift wrapped the best roster in the league who has been the favorite for the title since day one. That’s hardly that bad of a situation.

I think the team’s success and highly talented roster definitely have covered up some of his mistakes and inexperience. On the flip side, I do think some of his mistakes have been magnified due to when they occurred at the end of games, and I and others have probably been a bit too hard on him given the timing and visibility of his mistakes, which are at least explainable as a first year coach.

I think he’s a decent coach, but it’s hard to really judge how good of a coach he is given the roster he was given. Hopefully he continues to improve moving forward, as I definitely have seen improvements. But he’s still got a long way to go regarding in-game management before many of us are truly comfortable with him leading us in the playoffs.

You could say that about Ime as well. Brad took the C’s to the ECF, following year the team started tuning him out, then Ime was hired in the off-season. Udoka took over a very talented team.
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #63 on: February 16, 2023, 12:15:58 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1649
  • What a Pub Should Be
For whatever it is worth at the moment. 

After 59 games.

'21-22: 34-25

'22-23: 42-17

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2023, 12:20:53 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2993

You could say that about Ime as well. Brad took the C’s to the ECF, following year the team started tuning him out, then Ime was hired in the off-season. Udoka took over a very talented team.

I mean, there’s a *significant* difference in the situations the two came into.

Ime had the Jays, sure. But they were coming off a first round embarrassment to the Nets - a full year after the ECF visit - and there was significant roster turnover and uncertainty - Kemba out, Al in, White in, Smart elevated. Ime completely transformed the culture of the team, implementing the two big lineup that led to us becoming defensive juggernauts. There’s also the fact of them coming off a long tenured coach.

Joe is ultimately just continuing the dominance that Ime and Brad built a year ago. He should get credit for that, but it’s a significantly different accomplishment than what Ime did for this team, particularly coming off the Finals, having the Jays progress even more, and having a significantly better roster and culture handed to him.

I think people forget how bad the culture and environment seemed like before Joe took over.

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2023, 12:24:13 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3224

A bad situation is your head coach getting suspended for the year right before training camp.

« Reply #66 on: February 16, 2023, 12:29:32 PM »

Offline nyceltsfan

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31

Ime had the Jays, sure. But they were coming off a first round embarrassment to the Nets - a full year after the ECF visit - and there was significant roster turnover and uncertainty - Kemba out, Al in, White in, Smart elevated. Ime completely transformed the culture of the team, implementing the two big lineup that led to us becoming defensive juggernauts. There’s also the fact of them coming off a long tenured coach.

Joe is ultimately just continuing the dominance that Ime and Brad built a year ago. He should get credit for that, but it’s a significantly different accomplishment than what Ime did for this team, particularly coming off the Finals, having the Jays progress even more, and having a significantly better roster and culture handed to him.

I think people forget how bad the culture and environment seemed like before Joe took over.
I agree with much of what you said, but there are a couple of significant counterpoints:

1. Ime changed the defensive identity of the team with a healthy Robert Williams for most of the regular season.  Mazz took over this team with Timelord on the shelf and the defense was not nearly what it was last year for the first half of this season, which leads me to my next point:

2. Mazz transformed the offensive identity of this team.  The ball is whipping around the court faster and we are shooting earlier in the shot clock.  In addition to adding Brogdon (having nothing to do with Mazz, btw), he is getting more production out of White, Hauser and even Kornet, than Ime did.

This does not take away AT ALL from the job Ime did, but what Mazz is doing is extremely impressive in his own right, particularly how he worked with his personnel to make the offense better when the defense was forced to take a step back with Robert Williams out.

« Reply #67 on: February 16, 2023, 12:31:23 PM »

Offline Goldstar88

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1492

Tatum, Brown, Smart, Rob, Grant were already on the team that Brad took to the ECF. Ime took over a more talented team after Brad shipped out Kemba for Al and added White. The issue was the players didn’t believe in Stevens anymore and they needed a new voice. The core talent was always there and Brad added to it. Also, the culture under Udoka was not great for the first half of last year. The team was .500 and the players weren’t always getting along. If I recall it wasn’t until after the ASG that things improved. So was that Ime or more the players just figuring out how to play together.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2023, 12:39:06 PM by Goldstar88 »
Quoting Nick from the now locked Ime thread:
At some point you have to blame the performance on the court on the players on the court. Every loss is not the coach's fault and every win isn't because of the players.

« Reply #68 on: February 16, 2023, 12:45:18 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55
Surprised this happened (for strictly legal purposes).  Does this mean they settled with Ime?

« Reply #69 on: February 16, 2023, 01:00:19 PM »

Offline Celtics2021

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 995
Surprised this happened (for strictly legal purposes).  Does this mean they settled with Ime?

My guess is Ime’s contract has language that allows them to re-assign him to a different role in the organization if they keep paying his salary.

« Reply #70 on: February 16, 2023, 01:35:24 PM »

Offline Ed Monix

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 213
  • Signature move: Punch to the jejunum
How good is Coach Maz? How good is Coach Maz?

I’ll tell you how good Coach Maz is, he is…aMazzing!

5' 10" former point guard

Career highlight: 1973-74 championship, Boston Celtics

Career lowlight: traded for a washing machine

« Reply #71 on: February 16, 2023, 01:48:44 PM »

Offline aefgogreen

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 55

My guess is Ime’s contract has language that allows them to re-assign him to a different role in the organization if they keep paying his salary.

Do they want to do this?  I imagine he'll go to a different team next year.

« Reply #72 on: February 16, 2023, 01:56:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2673
  • bammokja
The poll results here I kind of shocking. Plurality rank Maz in bottom third of NBA coaches, despite him being leading candidate for COTY.  Strange.

I think for some people they thing with the talent on this team anyone could coach it to this record. Mazz has made a few mistakes at the end of games not calling timeouts that could have lead to the loss.  If they win no one is saying anything but since they loss it's because he doesn't know what he is doing.  He's a very young first time head coach who will make many mistakes while he finds out what works for him.  If he was coaching the Magic no one would care.

Actually may have more to do that this poll was first conducted right after the Miami loss, when fans were upset that Joe didn't call a timeout. This was during a 3 game losing streak.  My bet is that most of the votes were cast shortly after that game, during that losing streak? 

I wonder if the results would be different if the poll were taken today. I would hope so.

I just voted and put him in the top 1/3, and would rank him higher if given the chance.   I am particularly pleased with how he has developed the bench play, and emphasized spacing and ball movement on offense. I think he is a better offensive coach than Ime. Ime is a better defensive coach.
which is one of the reasons why front offices pay little attention the decisions of fans.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #73 on: February 16, 2023, 07:08:24 PM »

Offline ChillyWilly

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 620
I'm surprised there are still Ime supporters here.
ok fine

« Reply #74 on: February 16, 2023, 07:18:24 PM »

Offline liam

• NCE
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 3224
I'm surprised there are still Ime supporters here.

Me too!