Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 35703 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #180 on: December 02, 2022, 04:10:17 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2427
Ah, Cameroon with the win. Nice. I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Rigobert Song. He was a great captain / leader. Not the best tournament performance from them but nice to see them get some consolation to build from.

« Reply #181 on: December 03, 2022, 06:56:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1406
Big game today, USA v Netherlands. Can we continue this journey or will the Dutch prove their class? Pulisic has been cleared to play while Holland have been hit by a flu outbreak according to Van Gaal.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #182 on: December 03, 2022, 06:57:40 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
In other news, Brazil have lost Gabriel Jesus and Alex Tellio for the rest of the tournamet.

« Reply #183 on: December 03, 2022, 09:03:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Spain coach Luis Enrique didn't know during the game against Japan that at one point they were going to be out of the tournament when Costa Rica scored to take the lead against Germany  :police:

Luis Enrique was the last to know, or so he claimed. It was after midnight before he found out just how close he and his team had come to disaster at Khalifa International Stadium in Doha, the realisation caught on cameras. How had he felt during those three minutes when Spain were out of the World Cup, he was asked in the press conference after his team’s 2-1 defeat by Japan. What was going through his mind? Instead of an answer, there was an “Eh?!” and another question. “Three minutes out, why?!” he replied.

A conversation followed in which only Luis Enrique’s half could be heard properly, the journalist’s microphone having been handed back. Usefully, it served as proof, evidence of his approach, the single-mindedness that sets him apart. That, at least, was the way he was playing it. “You didn’t know?” he was asked. “No,” the coach said. “I’m not focused on the other game; I’m only concentrating on mine …

“Were we knocked out at some point? … When? Why? … Costa Rica were winning 2-1? … You see? Well, fantastic … Of course. I didn’t know. At no point did I find out. My discourse is sincere. I didn’t come here to speculate. I’m not happy that we lost to Japan. I want the best from my team, to win every game… [if I had known we were] out three minutes, I would have had a heart attack.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/02/world-cup-qatar-spain-japan-luis-enrique-costa-rica-germany

I guess Luis Enrique didn't look up at the scoreboard, because the Spain players knew that they were out unless they scored, and unless Germany scored:

What was happening in the other game, where Costa Rica briefly led, was put on the giant screens and when Jordi Alba came on after 67 minutes, he was the bearer of bad news.

“I was looking at the scoreboard and I could see halfway through the second half that we were out,” Pedri admitted. “Jordi came on and said that we had to score, that we were out. We wanted to score but it didn’t come.”

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2022/dec/02/world-cup-qatar-spain-japan-luis-enrique-costa-rica-germany

Can you imagine beating a team by 7 goals and that team possibly being responsible for you exiting the tournament? This is what I love about the World Cup, minnows can be giantslayers   :angel:

« Reply #184 on: December 03, 2022, 10:13:21 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
What a goal by Memphis, the Dutch cut the US open right down the middle and a great pass into Memphis to score a great goal. 1-0 Netherlands

« Reply #185 on: December 03, 2022, 10:17:11 AM »

Online mobilija

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 630
What a goal by Memphis, the Dutch cut the US open right down the middle and a great pass into Memphis to score a great goal. 1-0 Netherlands

Sliced and Diced Us

« Reply #186 on: December 03, 2022, 10:31:12 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

Sliced and Diced Us

Dutch giving us a torrid time

« Reply #187 on: December 03, 2022, 10:48:02 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Some sustained pressure from the USA but they can't convert...then the Dutch go back up our end of the field and score on one chance.

That's what separates the top teams from everyone else...they have killer finishers

2-0 now going into halftime, going to be tough

« Reply #188 on: December 03, 2022, 10:50:43 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Tommy Heinsohn
  • Tommy Points: 2731
That Dutch goal with about 20 seconds left in the half is a killer

« Reply #189 on: December 03, 2022, 10:52:21 AM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1561
That 2nd goal was such a killer
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #190 on: December 03, 2022, 11:03:07 AM »

Offline RodyTur10

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 292
  • Always offline from 9pm till 3am
It's incredible. We (the Netherlands) play pathetic passive defensive football. The US have like 70% ball possession. Pulisic missed a big chance in the 3rd minute. And out of nowhere we score one of the goals of the tournament (amazing attack starting from our own penalty area) and again out of nowhere we score a second at the half time whistle. Not sure to be proud, relieved, ashamed or worried.

The Dutch analysts on television (legends Van Basten and Van der Vaart) believe this is a road to nowhere. With such a lack of initiative and creativity they think this is not sustainable (at least not against future opponents like Argentina or Brazil). They're not positive at all, despite the scoreline. Van der Vaart even said that our star player Frenkie de Jong may rather be at home than play in this reactionair system.

Van Gaal not satisfied either. Two substitutions. Klaassen and De Roon off, Bergwijn and Koopmeiners on. These are offensive subs to try to get better passing and possession.

« Reply #191 on: December 03, 2022, 11:07:43 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
It's incredible. We (the Netherlands) play pathetic passive defensive football. The US have like 70% ball possession. Pulisic missed a big chance in the 3rd minute. And out of nowhere we score one of the goals of the tournament (amazing attack starting from our own penalty area) and again out of nowhere we score a second at the half time whistle. Not sure to be proud, relieved, ashamed or worried.

The Dutch analysts on television (legends Van Basten and Van der Vaart) believe this is a road to nowhere. With such a lack of initiative and creativity they think this is not sustainable (at least not against future opponents like Argentina or Brazil). They're not positive at all, despite the scoreline. Van der Vaart even said that our star player Frenkie de Jong may rather be at home than play in this reactionair system.

Van Gaal not satisfied either. Two substitutions. Klaassen and De Roon off, Bergwijn and Koopmeiners on. These are offensive subs to try to get better passing and possession.

It's what separates the top teams from the mid tier ones...taking chances. End of day you just need a few chances if you convert them. The US just doesn't have those types of finishers to consistently finish chances

« Reply #192 on: December 03, 2022, 11:33:17 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Haji Wright with a golden chance, goes around the keeper but loses his angle and the ball is saved on the line by Dutch defender

But Haji makes up for it with a goal a minute later! 2-1 now with about 20 min to go including stoppage

« Reply #193 on: December 03, 2022, 11:39:32 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
3-1!!

« Reply #194 on: December 03, 2022, 11:40:04 AM »

Online Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3037
  • On To Banner 18!
SMH THIS DEFENSE IS ATROCIOUS. EVERY CROSS IS AN EASY NETHERLANDS GOAL FROM A GUY UNMARKED
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller