Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 37950 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #255 on: December 06, 2022, 04:30:11 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3090
  • On To Banner 18!
Netherlands vs. Argentina, France vs. England, Brazil vs. Croatia, Portugal vs. Morocco

Get your popcorn ready!  ;D
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #256 on: December 06, 2022, 08:27:04 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1572
6 powers, another team that has been good for the last several years, and the best African soccer nation.  Pretty solid final 8, just wish the US was there.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #257 on: December 07, 2022, 04:35:18 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
Portugal looked so much better after they dropped Ronaldo. Ramos won't be with Benfica for long if he keeps playing like this.

My dad's second team Spain (he's part Spanish) lost the same way they've lost the last few tournaments...inability to score. They can maintain as much possession as they want but at the end of the day you have to put the ball in the back of the net. I remember them playing false 9s because they didn't have any decent strikers, this WC it was the same - their GD was skewed by thrashing Costa Rica but really when it came down to it they couldn't score against Japan, they could only score one against Germany and they couldn't break down Morocco despite having 76% possession and 12 shots on goal, of which only 1 was on target. If you look at their WC look at the possession stats:

Code: [Select]
Vs. Result Score Poss% Shots OnTarget
Costa Rica W 7-0 82% 17 7
Germany D 1-1 63% 7 3
Japan L 0-1 78% 12 5
Morocco L (pen) 0-0 76% 13 1

You can create as much artistry with tiki taka as you want but you have to put it in the back of the net.
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #258 on: December 07, 2022, 10:02:19 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 203
First day since the tournament has started that there are no World Cup games today. An emptiness has filled this void. I don't understand why they wouldn't put the quarter-finals on Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday? I don't know how many days off I can take to watch Brazil.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #259 on: December 07, 2022, 10:15:34 AM »

Offline Kernewek

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
  • International Superstar
First day since the tournament has started that there are no World Cup games today. An emptiness has filled this void. I don't understand why they wouldn't put the quarter-finals on Saturday and Sunday instead of Friday and Saturday? I don't know how many days off I can take to watch Brazil.

Your first mistake is rooting for a country that happens to be good at football. I've had a free schedule since halfway through the groups :)
Man had always assumed that he was more intelligent than dolphins because he had achieved so much—the wheel, New York, wars and so on—whilst all the dolphins had ever done was muck about in the water having a good time.

But conversely, the dolphins had always believed that they were far more intelligent than man—for precisely the same reasons.

« Reply #260 on: December 07, 2022, 10:34:44 AM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

Your first mistake is rooting for a country that happens to be good at football. I've had a free schedule since halfway through the groups :)

As a Brazilian, it's not an issue there because school and businesses closes early on gameday. My wife is French and all her games are on Saturdays.

Also, for those that are local, Moroccans celebrated yesterday at Revere Beach, partially closing for a little bit. That is great to see and I am happy for them.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #261 on: December 07, 2022, 02:03:38 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
I always thought Cesc Fabregas was underrated on those Spain teams. He did not always start but he usually came on and was much more incisive with his passing than Spain's other midfielders. He was so much more direct and creative. In part due to his characteristics but also in part to playing in England where they were more direct. It gave Spain a great change-up in styles when he came on.

I remember the Euro 2008 when they first won a tournament and scored the majority of their goals with Cesc on the pitch despite him not being a starter.

« Reply #262 on: December 07, 2022, 05:02:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
What are people predicting for Netherlands-Argentina?

I personally think Netherlands but I know the favorites are Argentina. Idk... NED to me, while they aren't flashy, are kind of like "silent killers" and they are very tactical/strategic. But then again, ARG has Messi and they are a powerhouse too, plus they've looked better since losing to Saudi Arabia early on in the group stage.

It's hard to really predict. Both teams are really good and somewhat evenly matched

« Reply #263 on: December 07, 2022, 06:44:13 PM »

Offline Amonkey

• Bailey Howell

I personally think Netherlands but I know the favorites are Argentina. Idk... NED to me, while they aren't flashy, are kind of like "silent killers" and they are very tactical/strategic. But then again, ARG has Messi and they are a powerhouse too, plus they've looked better since losing to Saudi Arabia early on in the group stage.

It's hard to really predict. Both teams are really good and somewhat evenly matched

I hope Argentina wins but Netherlands has historically given Brazil trouble. I think Argentina has that 'star' power with Messi but I don't think they are as strong. Netherlands played good football against USA with precise passing and crosses but I also think they can leak a few shots too. It should be a good and even game.
Baby Jesus!

« Reply #264 on: December 07, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

I hope Argentina wins but Netherlands has historically given Brazil trouble. I think Argentina has that 'star' power with Messi but I don't think they are as strong. Netherlands played good football against USA with precise passing and crosses but I also think they can leak a few shots too. It should be a good and even game.

TP. Yeah I feel good about predicting Brazil, France and Portugal to win their games. But this one is giving me a tough time lol. I lean Netherlands ultimately

« Reply #265 on: December 07, 2022, 10:32:29 PM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett

TP. Yeah I feel good about predicting Brazil, France and Portugal to win their games. But this one is giving me a tough time lol. I lean Netherlands ultimately

I’m going Holland too, you can never count a team with Messi out but the Dutch defense has looked good all tournament. They remind me of Brazil 1994…they don’t have the most creative midfield but they have a solid defense with 3 central defenders and a pretty useful front line with Depay and Gakpo.

« Reply #266 on: December 09, 2022, 08:42:31 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
brief break is over as we now have two great days of games, starting with Brazil v. Croatia at 10 eastern today.

« Reply #267 on: December 09, 2022, 11:17:51 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
about 30 minutes left and still 0-0

« Reply #268 on: December 09, 2022, 11:38:03 AM »

Offline ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
Pressure is really going to build on Brazil the longer this goes scoreless

« Reply #269 on: December 09, 2022, 11:42:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2441
Pedro, interesting. Not Martinelli.

Tite going for a true #9 (penalty box striker) instead of a versatile forward for a fluid interchangeable frontline here.

I've seen some Brazilians that are high on Pedro for his goals in the Brazilian league. I didn't think he impressed much in his earlier WC appearence. Risky move.