Author Topic: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread  (Read 36969 times)

Re: 2022 FIFA World Cup Official Thread
« Reply #165 on: December 01, 2022, 04:17:59 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2435
Bummed I missed those matches. They sound good. Only caught the end of the Germany game. Poor Germany.

Mixed feelings about Japan. Normally I love their national team because they play attacking football but they haven't really done that in this tournament. They stood back, defended in numbers and counter attacked against Germany and against Spain. Appearently they had only 18% possession vs 82% for Spain today.

I hope Japan gets back to attacking footie in the next round. Kudos on knocking out the Germans.

« Reply #166 on: December 01, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »

Offline gouki88

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3141
  • 2019 & 2021 CS Historical Draft Champion
No Germany & no Belgium into the round of 16. Crazy!
'23 Historical Draft: Orlando Magic.

PG: Terry Porter (90-91) / Steve Francis (00-01)
SG: Joe Dumars (92-93) / Jeff Hornacek (91-92) / Jerry Stackhouse (00-01)
SF: Brandon Roy (08-09) / Walter Davis (78-79)
PF: Terry Cummings (84-85) / Paul Millsap (15-16)
C: Chris Webber (00-01) / Ralph Sampson (83-84) / Andrew Bogut (09-10)

« Reply #167 on: December 01, 2022, 04:31:41 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 3065
  • On To Banner 18!
It just looks way too easy for Germany and Spain. Looks like both of them will advance

Yeah I really did speak too soon lol  :laugh:

My German co-worker/friend is kinda sad. We watched the game in our department's conference room all together haha and it was pretty intense watching this game and the Japan-Spain one.

Japan and Morocco so far have been the biggest surprises but they've also looked awesome. Both teams won their groups over the likes of Germany, Spain, Belgium and Croatia.
"Tough times never last, but tough people do." - Robert H. Schuller

« Reply #168 on: December 01, 2022, 04:39:31 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1562
I didn’t watch the afternoon games.  Is there any sense that Spain tanked?  Or was Japan legit?
I can't imagine Spain tanked, I mean at one point Costa Rica was beating Germany in the 2nd half.  Had Costa Rica won and Japan beaten Spain, Spain would have been out.  Couple that with Spain's obscenely high 82% possession, double the shots (and on goal), and it is unlikely they tanked.  Probably just a case of some dumb luck from Japan and some poor luck from Spain.  Japan's goals were super quick right out half time as well in the 48th minute and 51st minute.  So I think Japan sort of stunned Spain after the half, and then they just hung on for dear life.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #169 on: December 01, 2022, 06:01:00 PM »

Online ozgod

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1419
I didn’t watch the afternoon games.  Is there any sense that Spain tanked?  Or was Japan legit?
I can't imagine Spain tanked, I mean at one point Costa Rica was beating Germany in the 2nd half.  Had Costa Rica won and Japan beaten Spain, Spain would have been out.  Couple that with Spain's obscenely high 82% possession, double the shots (and on goal), and it is unlikely they tanked.  Probably just a case of some dumb luck from Japan and some poor luck from Spain.  Japan's goals were super quick right out half time as well in the 48th minute and 51st minute.  So I think Japan sort of stunned Spain after the half, and then they just hung on for dear life.

Yes it would have been tempting fate to tank given Germany's form, relying on them to win probably would have been ill-advised...but it worked out for them in the end  :angel:

It does go to show how any team is beatable on its day. Just look at the upsets so far:

Saudi Arabia 2 - Argentina 1
Japan 2 - Germany 1
Morocco 2 - Belgium 0
Tunisia 1 - France 0
Australia 1 - Denmark 0
Japan 2 - Spain 1
Any odd typos are because I suck at typing on an iPhone :D

« Reply #170 on: December 01, 2022, 07:23:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!

Yes it would have been tempting fate to tank given Germany's form, relying on them to win probably would have been ill-advised...but it worked out for them in the end  :angel:

It does go to show how any team is beatable on its day. Just look at the upsets so far:

Saudi Arabia 2 - Argentina 1
Japan 2 - Germany 1
Morocco 2 - Belgium 0
Tunisia 1 - France 0
Australia 1 - Denmark 0
Japan 2 - Spain 1

Listen, all I'm saying is the U.S. have never lost in this tournament yet and they are due for an upset or two en route to winning it all  8)

« Reply #171 on: December 02, 2022, 12:04:04 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
This has been an awesome World Cup in terms of the competition.

South Korea beats Portugal and advance alongside Portugal thanks to goal difference!! Uruguay is OUT

« Reply #172 on: December 02, 2022, 12:06:45 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
What a finish. This group was always going to be a heartbreaker. I like all 4 of these Nations. Only 2 could go through.

I love Uruguay. They have such immense fighting spirit combined with good technical quality. Ghana known as the Brazil of Africa for their skillful attacking play. Korea and their team-ethic ball on the ground technical football. And of course Portugal with all their stars. Terrific talent in this group.

« Reply #173 on: December 02, 2022, 12:08:25 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Bentancur and Valverde is one hell of a midfield to build around. I like Vecino too. Nice hole-plugger alongside those two allowing them to go forward. I kinda wish they'd try a 3 man midfield there instead of the 442.

« Reply #174 on: December 02, 2022, 12:26:42 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
What a finish. This group was always going to be a heartbreaker. I like all 4 of these Nations. Only 2 could go through.

I love Uruguay. They have such immense fighting spirit combined with good technical quality. Ghana known as the Brazil of Africa for their skillful attacking play. Korea and their team-ethic ball on the ground technical football. And of course Portugal with all their stars. Terrific talent in this group.

In my department at the hospital, almost all our co-workers/friends' native countries and rooting interests have advanced (USA, England, Australia, Japan, South Korea). Only one co-worker's didn't, and she's a Germany fan who is from there and with a lot of family there too lol

She was kind of sad yesterday haha. Germany won 4-2 but Japan won so Japan + Spain advanced since Spain has an insane goal differential

« Reply #175 on: December 02, 2022, 01:10:20 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I love that Portugal team. The variety in their attacking is impressive. You have your deep lying playmaker in Ruben Neves. A #8/#10 type attacking midfielder in Bruno Fernandes. Two versatile forwards in Cristiano Ronaldo and Joao Felix who have all the skills of an attacking midfielder combined with the goal threat of a #9. And then you have that beautiful little technician Bernardo Silva pulling the strings in between all of them making things work. Attacking full backs providing width. Lovely. All with a solid defensive base behind it.

Portugal is a major threat to win this tournament. That is an awesome team they have.

« Reply #176 on: December 02, 2022, 02:56:08 PM »

Offline mef730

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 960
I'm having a blast watching the Koreans, Japanese and Socceroos. They are having so much fun and weren't expected to advance, so their excitement is contagious.

Mike

« Reply #177 on: December 02, 2022, 03:02:10 PM »

Offline Phantom255x

• Red Auerbach
  • On To Banner 18!
I'm having a blast watching the Koreans, Japanese and Socceroos. They are having so much fun and weren't expected to advance, so their excitement is contagious.

Mike

Morocco as well

« Reply #178 on: December 02, 2022, 03:33:53 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
I'd love to see Serbia go through. I don't much like Switzerland. They play dull football.

Serbia has some fun attacking midfielders (Tadic, Milinkovic Savic) and strikers (Vlahovic, Mitrovic, Jovic). I am not sure they have figured out how to fit it all in / make a cohesive team though.

« Reply #179 on: December 02, 2022, 03:37:33 PM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
Cameroon's colours are fantastic. The green shirt, red shorts and high yellow socks. Beautiful.